The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplefrog

Yes, they do give more offers than places. What I meant to say was for every person that gets called to interview, there is definitely an offer for them. They will not call X amount of people for interview if there are < X offers left to give. Hope that makes sense?

So up until the BMAT you are competing. Once you have an interview, there is an offer waiting for each and every one of you who gets an interview.

So then why do people get rejected post-interview? Do you mean that if everyone did amazing in their interview they would accept them all?
Original post by marc_h94
So then why do people get rejected post-interview? Do you mean that if everyone did amazing in their interview they would accept them all?

Think you've answered your own question there. What determines whether you get an offer or not is whether your interview performance met what they wanted or not. For every person that gets rejected, it leaves a gap in their quota for offers to give out, thus they can call up one more person. They usually call people up for interview in batches so it doesn't seem like they're plodding on one applicant at a time.

And if the first X (quota number for offers) did an amazing interview, they would fill it up easily and thus not have an interview season stretch out for so long. Some years the interview season goes on quite late (until early april) due to them still searching for appropriate people to give offers to. Other times it ends relatively sooner.

EDIT: The interview is not just a formality for you to get an offer. You've got to prove yourself to them. But once you do, it will be waiting for you. You're not head-to-head against any other applicant in interview - only yourself and your delivery.
(edited 12 years ago)
Think you've answered your own question there. What determines whether you get an offer or not is whether your interview performance met what they wanted or not. For every person that gets rejected, it leaves a gap in their quota for offers to give out, thus they can call up one more person. They usually call people up for interview in batches so it doesn't seem like they're plodding on one applicant at a time.

And if the first X (quota number for offers) did an amazing interview, they would fill it up easily and thus not have an interview season stretch out for so long. Some years the interview season goes on quite late (until early april) due to them still searching for appropriate people to give offers to. Other times it ends relatively sooner.

EDIT: The interview is not just a formality for you to get an offer. You've got to prove yourself to them. But once you do, it will be waiting for you. You're not head-to-head against any other applicant in interview - only yourself and your delivery.

I get it now! Never realised it worked that way haha. x
Reply 83
Omg ucas sent!! :eek:
I got a D in my biology EMPA, but an A overall, so will that affect my application? I got 5 As in AS levels, predicted 4 A*s, got 750 in the UKCAT otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:smile:
How far do UCL look regarding gcse's , is it just about meeting their entry requirements or do they select for interview based on that as well as bmat score?
right, according to the woman at the phone at UCL they want UMS but aren't cambridge-style reliant on it. Question is, how do they get them?
Has anyone who has already sent their application been acknowledged by UCL yet?
Reply 88
Original post by instrumentalist

Mine hasn't been sent off yet, but I don't think UCL acknowledge this early.
Reply 89
Original post by aljabiraa
right, according to the woman at the phone at UCL they want UMS but aren't cambridge-style reliant on it. Question is, how do they get them?

I read somewhere that UCL will look at your ums scores if your reference mentions them, and they will effect (hopefully in a good way) your application. In other words, if you got 90%+ in anything(particularly bio/chem), tell your referee. Or perhaps if you got a B in something, but you were like 1 ums point off an A, you can have that mentioned too.

:h:
I'm applying for UCL, really want to get in! Just posting to follow this thread.
:smile:
Original post by F_to_the_hizzy
How far do UCL look regarding gcse's , is it just about meeting their entry requirements or do they select for interview based on that as well as bmat score?

If you meet the minimum requirements you will be fine. However, in some rare cases, they do look back at GCSEs to see your how consistent your academic performance is, but unlike other places they do not have an A*/A grade quota. Try to see it as better GCSEs will work in your favour, but having 'bad' ones won't work against you. Hope that makes sense.

UCL won't acknowledge any applications until a week or so after the UCAS medicine deadline. You will receive a generic email from medical admissions telling you they've received your application, to make sure you sit the BMAT and basically not to contact them regarding the progress of your application.
Reply 92
How much emphasis is placed on the BMAT scores? Is there a cut off? Are some sections more important than others?
Reply 93
I do you think i have a chance at ucl,much appreciated.
7a*, 2a, 2b at gcse
4a's at as level
3a* and 1a predicitions for a2+predicted a* for my extended project
do i have a chance at please help me
i knw most ppl will say destroy ur bmat, bur what will i approximately need, and realistically do i have a chance
Reply 94
Original post by paul272
7a*, 2a, 2b at gcse
4a's at as level
i knw most ppl will say destroy ur bmat, bur what will i approximately need, and realistically do i have a chance

i think we will need around 5, 5, 3A/B to get an interview
Original post by battlette
How much emphasis is placed on the BMAT scores? Is there a cut off? Are some sections more important than others?

The higher your score, the more likely you are to get an interview. No sectioned is prioritised but a severe failure in one could lead you not to getting an interview.

Original post by paul272
7a*, 2a, 2b at gcse
4a's at as level

UCL doesn't really have a forumlaic approach for interview selection. Your current attained grades will put you in good stead so far, as will your predictions (though EPQ won't do much in all honesty). So based just on that, you're doing well. Obviously your PS and BMAT need to be good too in order to get interview - if you have killer grades and BMAT but a mediocre statement, they will just reject you.
Reply 96
The higher your score, the more likely you are to get an interview. No sectioned is prioritised but a severe failure in one could lead you not to getting an interview.

Many thanks. Out of PS, BMAT and academic performance, what would be the order of priority UCL attaches, in your view? Do you feel that less than 5 in Sections 1 and 2, would severely reduce the chances of an interview?
Reply 97
Original post by Alex J
UCL are in general the least stringent on the bmat scores out of all the bmat unis. However in their medical prospectus (page 35) it says:

"BMAT scores that are higher than the average
for the cohort will strengthen an application and
increase the likelihood of the candidate being selected
for interview. The average scores for UCL applicants
will be posted on the Medical School website following
the release of the results in late November. Candidates
with scores that are below the average scores for their
cohort are unlikely to be successful."

Many thanks. Do you happen to know what the averages were last year?
Reply 98

UCL are in general the least stringent on the bmat scores out of all the bmat unis. However in their medical prospectus (page 35) it says:

"BMAT scores that are higher than the average
for the cohort will strengthen an application and
increase the likelihood of the candidate being selected
for interview. The average scores for UCL applicants
will be posted on the Medical School website following
the release of the results in late November. Candidates
with scores that are below the average scores for their
cohort are unlikely to be successful."

so although there is no absolute cutoff, you should aim to be above average. I don't think they care that much about individual section scores, as long as there is no *major* underperformance in anything.

However I must add, all this should be irrelevent with regards to how you approach your preparation. All you can do is do your best. Do that irrespective of admissions policy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Many thanks. Out of PS, BMAT and academic performance, what would be the order of priority UCL attaches, in your view? Do you feel that less than 5 in Sections 1 and 2, would severely reduce the chances of an interview?

They really do view your application as a whole and call you up upon your individual merits. Though GCSEs are perhaps less considered than the rest, but only marginally.

I wouldn't say so. It depends on what the average BMAT score in each section is of the UCL applicant, which they will publish soon after BMAT results. For my year group, the score was 4.8, 4.9, 3B. Scores above that in each section will help you - but LOADS of people had scores in one section or two below that (by 0.3 points or so, but its a significant gap considering the competition). Though 5 is a good score to aim for as it is around that score that indicates a 'slightly-above-average' performance out of the whole BMAT cohort.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending