The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Apparently if you pass the ukcat cutoff your ps is put in a pile of 100 and sent to two assessors.They then choose the top 4(!) for an offer and put 1 on a waiting list. I make that a 95% failure rate then.....................perhaps I should apply elsewhere. I read on the website that they have over 5000 applications a year probably because they dont worry too much about GCSEs
Original post by oldbatty
Apparently if you pass the ukcat cutoff your ps is put in a pile of 100 and sent to two assessors.They then choose the top 4(!) for an offer and put 1 on a waiting list. I make that a 95% failure rate then.....................perhaps I should apply elsewhere. I read on the website that they have over 5000 applications a year probably because they dont worry too much about GCSEs

Just out of interest, where did you get this information from?
Reply 82
Original post by Scarface-Don
Just out of interest, where did you get this information from?

A first year medic told me on open day.
Reply 83

That would be a stupid method, as all the strong applicants might be in a pile of 100 and all weak applicants in another pile.. :/
Reply 84
I heard they take the top 10-15 of the 100 personal statements and then collect the top 10-15 out of all the piles of 100 personal statements and make offers based on this. The reference and UKCAT score is used on borderline applications who are trying to make that top 15 . I highly doubt they get 5000 applications, thats like a quarter of all medical applications in the UK. :confused:
Reply 85
Original post by maemg
I heard they take the top 10-15 of the 100 personal statements and then collect the top 10-15 out of all the piles of 100 personal statements and make offers based on this. The reference and UKCAT score is used on borderline applications who are trying to make that top 15 . I highly doubt they get 5000 applications, thats like a quarter of all medical applications in the UK. :confused:

They say they get 5000 applications on their website but then they do offer 3 medicine degrees
Reply 86
They say they get 5000 applications on their website but then they do offer 3 medicine degrees

Yea 5000 over the 3 medical degree's sounds right!
A lot of disagreement and different ideas - the admissions policy seems like an enigma!
I heard they put all the applications in a giant black hat before drawing out 500 winners which then have their personal statements attached to greased up pigs that run around the Southampton campus. It's then down to the first year medics to catch 200 of them to determine who gets offers and who gets rejected...might be wrong tho.
Original post by gloriousballs
I heard they put all the applications in a giant black hat before drawing out 500 winners which then have their personal statements attached to greased up pigs that run around the Southampton campus. It's then down to the first year medics to catch 200 of them to determine who gets offers and who gets rejected...might be wrong tho.

Nah, you're completely right. I just hope they put my PS onto the fat, lazy pig. All down to luck, I guess.

Haahahaha
Reply 91
I have applied but still not sure I will get in :frown:

I have 6 A*4A and 2B at GCSE
4 As and AS
predicted 2A*and 2A A2
UKCAT 648
Extended project predicted A

I have a load of work experience in lots of different fields of medicine, play football was a prefect and also a mentor... but still scared!!!!Have applied to Southampton, Leeds, Brighton and Sussex and St Barts (Queen Mary's)

What do you think my chances are? Should I apply somewhere else??
Help....
Reply 92
Original post by Caolan
I'm thinking about it but I'm not really sure what they look for, no interviews is off putting :s-smilie:
I meet their basic requirments and will probably meet the UKCAT cutoff but I know nothing else about their admissions process.

Whats the UKCAT cutoff?
Reply 93
Original post by Domo-Kun
Whats the UKCAT cutoff?

No idea, probably around 650
Reply 94
Its the bottom 25% so thats probably 590-610 i think. Last year it was around 590.
Reply 95
The southampton website says their cut off in 2010 was 2370 so 590 was their cut off, but in 2011 they say it was 2310, so their cut off last year was 577! so their cut off score fell last year, that doesnt sound right? And do you guys think its going to fall this year, or increase? I was just also wondering if you knew what they looked for in their persanol statement- like extra activity or subjects or w/e??

Good Luckkk for applications everyone!!
Reply 96
So do southampton only look at the personal statement and not the reference or both in conjunction? Because I have a lot of stuff in my reference :s-smilie:
Reply 97
I'm really confused. The first few pages mention scores for each of your GCSEs. Then it goes on to talk about a UKCAT cut, before going onto talking about greased up pigs.

Can someone create a 'comprehensive guide to scoring the applicants and giving offers' for me?

Also, do they or do they not interview?
Reply 98
Original post by Seb
I'm really confused. The first few pages mention scores for each of your GCSEs. Then it goes on to talk about a UKCAT cut, before going onto talking about greased up pigs.

Can someone create a 'comprehensive guide to scoring the applicants and giving offers' for me?

Also, do they or do they not interview?

We dont know! That's the point!!!!
although there's reason to believe the pigs is a likely selection process for 2012

Quick Reply

Latest