The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Helenia
We found some of them waiting outside our rooms one morning - they were after a guy on the floor above, but had already been interrupted there (my friend came out and said, quite loudly "Are you waiting for.....?") so when I left my room to go to lectures in the morning they were stood looking up the stairs with suspicious grins - I asked them if they were waiting for someone and they said "Maybe :tongue:" so I was rather worried until it was explained to me later. We have some very obsessive assassins here though, and there is a Clare mafia who all protect each other...

Joey - I'd love to do the LotR thing! That would be more fun.

Hehe. Go on to ''www.saintmaryshall.com'' , then 'launch news reports' then 'daily life', at the bottom is some lovely pictures of people dressed up for Tolkeins 111th birthday :biggrin:
Helenia
Oh right. Probably a more sensible system, but it is kinda cool to have your own college identity though. Some gowns have arm slits though, so your sleeves don't trail in your food. Ours don't. :mad:

You still have to wear your gowns for exams though, don't you? :tongue:

Yes, and also a witch's costume underneath. I kid you not!!!
http://mcr.keble.ox.ac.uk/mcrphotos/2003matriculation.html
Reply 22
Are the gowns at Oxford the same for each college or different?
Veedy
Are the gowns at Oxford the same for each college or different?

They're the same.
Reply 24
hildabeast
Yes, and also a witch's costume underneath. I kid you not!!!
http://mcr.keble.ox.ac.uk/mcrphotos/2003matriculation.html

Yeah, we had to wear black skirts and white shirts for matric, but what are those silly bits of string round your neck?
Helenia
Yeah, we had to wear black skirts and white shirts for matric, but what are those silly bits of string round your neck?

I dont know, but they remind me of those cowboy tassel things :biggrin:
Reply 26
Joey_Johns
I dont know, but they remind me of those cowboy tassel things :biggrin:

That, my friends, is Oxford's infamous 'sub fusc' clothing - dark suit, white shirt, white bow tie and gown for men, dark skirt, white shirt, black 'ribbon' and gown for women. We don this beautiful garb for all official university business; matriculation, exams, vivas and graduation. Makes you look a right prat ordering an extra value meal in MacDonald's between your morning and afternoon exams....
davey_boy
That, my friends, is Oxford's infamous 'sub fusc' clothing - dark suit, white shirt, white bow tie and gown for men, dark skirt, white shirt, black 'ribbon' and gown for women. We don this beautiful garb for all official university business; matriculation, exams, vivas and graduation. Makes you look a right prat ordering an extra value meal in MacDonald's between your morning and afternoon exams....

Tip: even though the commoner's and scholar's gowns are 'dry clean only', you can safely machine-wash them.
hornblower
Tip: even though the commoner's and scholar's gowns are 'dry clean only', you can safely machine-wash them.

Lol really??? Well some of them are made of different material. Gowns from Shepherd and Woodward are mainly viscose I think and those from Walter's are mainly cotton, so maybe it depends on which kind you have??
Reply 29
hildabeast
Lol really??? Well some of them are made of different material. Gowns from Shepherd and Woodward are mainly viscose I think and those from Walter's are mainly cotton, so maybe it depends on which kind you have??

I have the shepherd and woodward variety. It never even occurred to me to look at the washing instructions, let alone actually wash the thing...it's not that I'm super gross, I wash clothes all the time...but gowns?
Reply 30
hildabeast

Hmmm... wonder if the same applies to ours - I've got a few things on the sleeves now from various formals etc, and it could do with a wash!
Shephard and Woodward scholar's gown, 100 % polyester, blue and black varieties, now with a spring fresh fragrance.
Reply 32
ogs
OP
this gown malaci... do you seriously have to wear them? at cambridge what ocasions? are they free?
Reply 33
ogs
this gown malaci... do you seriously have to wear them? at cambridge what ocasions? are they free?

Depends on college. You will have to wear them at matriculation, halfway hall and graduation, wherever you are. At some colleges you have to wear them for formal hall, at others you don't (Clare doesn't insist on it, but sometimes we do, because it means you can dress more informally underneath - good if you're going out afterwards). There is other stuff, e.g. for reading in chapel, choir practice, but that's only if you're into that. We don't have to wear them for exams, fortunately, unlike Oxford folk.

If yours is a college that doesn't insist on gowns for everything, you can get away without buying one and either borrow/hire one for necessary occasions. At others it will be easier, and cheaper in the long run, to buy one - they're about £40, though you may be able to get 2nd hand ones cheaper.
Reply 34
ogs
OP
thank you! lol (more expenses for my poor mum!) but i will try and get a job over the not so long summer that should be long! [the stupid alevel exams stretch right through to 2nd july!) great! :mad:

anyway i won't be bitter! only 18 weeks to go and they will be over!

Alex
Reply 35
Call me dumb, but what's halfway hall?
We basically have to wear gowns to all official university or college meetings. This includes university exams, college collections, vivas, principal's collections (termly report-reading with prinicpal), any meeting with university officials, on any occassion when the chancellor or vice chancellor is present (eg. matriculation, graduation, attending Chris Patten's speech to the Oxford Union), and formal hall. There is also a university regulation which stipulates that gowns must be worn to lectures, but this has largely lapsed in recent years. I only have one lecturer who wears a gown to give lectures, and gets annoyed when others don't wear theirs'. For all the above-mentioned events the wearing of gowns only is required. However, for matriculation, university examinations and graduation, sub fusc must also be worn (for women white shirt, black skirt/trousers, black tights, flat black shoes, black ribbon tie, mortar board. For men, white shirt, black suit, black shoes, white bow tie, mortar board). On average I wear my gown once or twice a week depending, and this year I am anticipating wearing sub fusc on four occassions.
Minta

Halfway Hall is a special formal hall for students in the middle of their courses (usually 2nd years) in the middle of Hilary/Lent term.
Reply 38
Minta

One of the three free meals we get while we're hear - the other two being matric dinner and graduation. It's in the middle of Lent/Hilary (why the hell is it called Hilary at Oxford?) term.

ogs, what college are you going to?
Reply 39
Helenia
One of the three free meals we get while we're hear - the other two being matric dinner and graduation. It's in the middle of Lent/Hilary (why the hell is it called Hilary at Oxford?) term.

ogs, what college are you going to?

or from an oxford point of view, why the hell is it called Lent at Cambridge?! :tongue:

Latest