The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Manchester to Lancaster Commute 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SunnyYellow
It takes me 15 minutes on the train to get me to Piccadilly. I have to walk/cycle to the train station first and that takes 10-20 minutes depending on which I do. Probably cycle. The amount of time it takes on the train varies depending on whether I have to change at Preston or not.

Fair enough. :smile:

There are direct trains to Lancaster every hour, you know. They are only once an hour though [taking between 55 minutes and 1 hour 10]. I think they are normally quarter passed the hour to go from Manchester to Lancaster - will they be any good for you?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Seentje
heya,

I'm not in Lancaster uni, but I do commute the other way around (Lancaster - Manchester)

Apparently nobody does that one >.< The train between oxford road and Lancaster is only 55 minutes, direct every hour. Although the uni is a bloody trek away :tongue:

Does the free bus go any where near the university? http://www.tfgm.com/buses/metroshuttle.cfm
Reply 22
Original post by affinity89
Fair enough. :smile:

There are direct trains to Lancaster every hour, you know. They are only once an hour though [taking between 55 minutes and 1 hour 10]. I think they are normally quarter passed the hour to go from Manchester to Lancaster - will they be any good for you?

Strangely enough my 2.5hr journey includes that train! I think people forget things like travel to the station, waiting times between stations, the bus afterwards. They don't all fuse together perfectly and there are substantial times in between these. I think I have a 30 minute wait at Manchester for that train. Then I need to wait for the bus in Lancaster and then it takes 25 minutes or something to get on to campus.

It isn't that bad of a commute because I've already tried it. I just wish that I wouldn't have to be doing it alone. I'm worried that it'll be much harder having a social life with uni people as a commuter.
Reply 23
I'll be doing the commute from Manchester to Lancaster (glad I'm not the only one to attempt it!) I'll only be in two days a week for my MA so shouldn't be too bad. I plan to pre book sits to make sure I have one.

Does anyone know how much the bus to the uni costs? Mainly the X1?
Original post by MissCsk
I'll be doing the commute from Manchester to Lancaster (glad I'm not the only one to attempt it!) I'll only be in two days a week for my MA so shouldn't be too bad. I plan to pre book sits to make sure I have one.

Does anyone know how much the bus to the uni costs? Mainly the X1?

All the buses between Lancaster and campus are the same price. £1.50 single, £2.25 return [last time I used them in summer]. :smile:

The X1 is a good service [quite a quick one too] but it stops running at about 6pm, so you might have to get another service some days. [If unsure, you can jump off the 2, 2A, 3, 4 at New Look/Common Garden Street and then it is a 5 minute walk up the hill to the station.] :smile:
I study at Lancaster nad also work in a pup restaurant in a village just outside of Lancs... one of my locals was saying that his daughter is going to commute from Lancaster to Manchester (MMU) everyday as it's too costly to live there so it's possible the other way around
Reply 26
I've survived a term of commuting :smile: next term I am only in uni two days a week and my earliest start is 12pm or something! I'm so proud of myself! Missed a few lectures but not that many on the whole.
Reply 27
I'm in a slight dilemma on whether I should commute to Lancaster or go for the accommodation. For those who have been commuting to university, how have your experiences been?

I'll be travelling from Manchester too.

Replies from those travelling from Manchester to Lancaster would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending