The Student Room Group

The GTTR application guide and FAQ thread *please read 1st post*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elldeegee
Rather than putting a percentage, wouldn't you just put the complete number of credits?

Also, for those putting in separate modules, do i put my first year modules even though they don't count towards my final degree?

Because it says to put it as a percentage not credits.

x
Good Lord, people have applied already? I've started it and am just trimming down the personal statement (also a second time round applicant) and figured I'd get it sent by the end of the week. Surely that isn't too late?

I sadly work full-time so don't really have the time to work on it except in the evenings....

P.S. Anyone know when they start sending the applications to training providers?
Reply 122
I was thinking the same sparklebox. I have the basis of last years app to work on and was thinking about doing it over the next week. I'm really worried that I will miss out again!

If i calm down a bit and think rationally I refuse to believe that it will need to be as quick as all that.

Wishful thinking?
Original post by benm611
I was thinking the same sparklebox. I have the basis of last years app to work on and was thinking about doing it over the next week. I'm really worried that I will miss out again!

If i calm down a bit and think rationally I refuse to believe that it will need to be as quick as all that.

Wishful thinking?

I would hope we'd be ok - surely the whole process isn't as insane as all that??

The GTTR is such a wretched system, the way it only sends them one at a time...last time my first choice cooled their heels for so long that by the time they'd rejected me post-interview, my second choice was full up (I'm Primary).

What are you applying for, benm611?
It says if they receive the app before 1 december it has to be tret with the same respect as an early one. Im aure next week would be fine! Im only concerned as i was advised to get it in within the first few days. Im hoping as first reserve they are looking for my application so dont want to get it in too late.
Original post by masamune1989
It says if they receive the app before 1 december it has to be tret with the same respect as an early one. Im aure next week would be fine! Im only concerned as i was advised to get it in within the first few days. Im hoping as first reserve they are looking for my application so dont want to get it in too late.

That's the idea but in practice training providers do start interviewing and some may award places before December - one told me on the phone they are full up by December.

Having thought about it calmly though I wouldn't worry too much if you're going to get it in in the next week or so - I'm sure that's still early enough to have an earlier interview. Better to have a well planned and well checked application than rush and regret it later.

EDIT: I was referring to Primary btw, just in case any Secondary applicants panic...I think early application is always advisable though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by AwesomelyPsycho
Epping. I've gone through my old UCAS form, and there I've put 'Essex'. I assume I shall have to put that one again.

It says those modules that are relevant to the course you are applying. As I'm applying to Primary, all my modules are relevant as they all relate to important topics in education, so I'm putting them all :smile:

Are you applying for primary or secondary?

I'm applying for secondary mathematics.
and i'm doing BSc Mathematics
Reply 127
I'm attempting for primary. I am also hoping, (wrong as it may be), that the fact I am a gentleman might help my app! Obviously I shan't be relying on this.

Panic stations were definitley reached this afternoon (whilst I am at work which isn't good)

I think realistically the next week should be fine. I will start chasing up references tonight.

As I have mentioned before, my main worry is that my main experience is going to come from my new job as a LSA which I don't start till the 31st of October.
Original post by benm611
I'm attempting for primary. I am also hoping, (wrong as it may be), that the fact I am a gentleman might help my app! Obviously I shan't be relying on this.

Panic stations were definitley reached this afternoon (whilst I am at work which isn't good)

I think realistically the next week should be fine. I will start chasing up references tonight.

As I have mentioned before, my main worry is that my main experience is going to come from my new job as a LSA which I don't start till the 31st of October.

Ooh, my other half's going for primary too - also hopes the male aspect may help :tongue:.

Lol, I hear you there. I wouldn't worry about the experience thing, as long as you've mentioned it in your personal statement then by the time you get the interview you should have lots to say about it.

I wish I could work as a TA or something but in my area jobs of any kind are hard to come by - was lucky to get the one I have one so I haven't really been able to arrange any school experience apart from the time I had a year or so ago. Although I am a leader at a Brownie unit so I hope this still shows my commitment even if I haven't been able to get any further school experience :biggrin:
Reply 129
I kind of fell into the job I have got. It's a pay cut from what I am doing now but teaching is what I have decided I want to do so it's hopefully going to be great experience for me allowing me onto the course!

My worry is that I have been told that you need to have specific experience mentioned in the statement, and as I don't have that yet (well apart from a few days here and there at a school) that they won't take it into consideration and give me an interview!

I am always cynical about this sort of thing though!
Reply 130
Original post by zameer2xtreme
I have a question about references.
Basically, I'm about to enter my third year of uni.
I don't want to have my lecturer as my referee because he doesn't know me well as our classes are very big.

Can I make my primary referee one of my teachers in Sixth Form? I'm still in touch with him, he knows me very well and he taught me the subject that I'm applying for.

Thanks.

Your sixth-form teacher is an inappropriate referee for a number of reasons. Your lecturer might not know you too well, but they can at least comment on your recent academic ability, and that is relevant to your PGCE application.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by elldeegee
Sorry to tag along in this thread, but i was wondering if anyone could answer the following question:
when putting in my "Main degree subjects*" i do put in my modules i've sat don't I?

If this is the case, do i put my first year modules even though they don't count towards my final degree?

thanks.

p.s could you quote this message if you reply to it? :smile:

It doesn't really matter is the honest answer. Some people will tell you to list all your modules and some think it's tedious. It's purely to check you've done more than 50% in your degree of your desired subject. For me (applying for Geog) I just put Human and Physical separately and a percentage. They have to add up to a 100% (at least they did last year anyway). My advice is keep it as simple as possible. If a Uni gives you an interview they will check your academic transcript anyway so whatever you put it doesn't matter as long as you don't lie!

Good luck.
Reply 132
How long do they usually take to give an answer to our application?
Was about 2 weeks last year, till I found out about the interview.
Reply 134
Cheers!
I hope they are not really delaying it till January this year.
Apparently they may not know how many places they have again. My referee still hasnt done my reference yet and i requested it an hour after gttr opened! I was wondering, can you get made an offer without going to interview?
Reply 136
No you cant, interview is mandatory apparently.
So is that the same as if you were reserves last year? I only ask as when i went to interview last year 4 places had already been given away before the first interviews had happened. I wonder how they got them.
Reply 138
Oh, don't know then, I thought I read you had to go to an interview before they could offer you anything!
Original post by masamune1989
So is that the same as if you were reserves last year? I only ask as when i went to interview last year 4 places had already been given away before the first interviews had happened. I wonder how they got them.

That's probably because they deferred entry from the year before?

Quick Reply

Latest