The Student Room Group

The big fat STEP megathread (NOT for getting help with maths questions)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
They may have changed the offer. My offer was a bit weird though since I had done STEP already; they asked me to email them proof of my STEP result and then gave me an offer of AB.

Email them, though, if you need any clarification.

How did you prove your STEP result by the way? Did you email them a pdf version of the certificate or something?
Original post by Beth1234
How did you prove your STEP result by the way? Did you email them a pdf version of the certificate or something?

Scanned in a certificate on request and uploaded it to an "application tracker" on their site.
can you receive both an A-level offer and a STEP offer? just in case you don't make the A level offer etc

e.g. imperial computing: A*AA, or an alternative STEP offer.

can I have both the A level offer of A*AA and the alt STEP offer?

thanks

edit: quote me please
Reply 2963
Original post by Ilyas
can you receive both an A-level offer and a STEP offer? just in case you don't make the A level offer etc

e.g. imperial computing: A*AA, or an alternative STEP offer.

can I have both the A level offer of A*AA and the alt STEP offer?

thanks

edit: quote me please

Only Bath operate this 'dual-offer' system, as far as I'm aware.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Scanned in a certificate on request and uploaded it to an "application tracker" on their site.

Ah, that's good... because I never saved a pdf copy, only printed a paper one :redface:

Not that it really matters though - I'm not applying to Bath, and without doubt Warwick will ask me to do it again!
Reply 2965
Who agrees that the STEP timetable should be changed so that we couild sit STEP I in january, and STEP II and III in june??
Original post by bl14786
Who agrees that the STEP timetable should be changed so that we couild sit STEP I in january, and STEP II and III in june??

errrm, why?
Original post by bl14786

no ****ing way.

it takes some people a while to get used to the style of the questions.

it's not just 'another module' sort of thing.
I have taken STEP(2 & 3) and got 1 & S one year in advance (2011)( I am applying for october 2012) so what do you think will I have to take it again or they will accept this results?
Original post by Matematika
I have taken STEP(2 & 3) and got 1 & S one year in advance (2011)( I am applying for october 2012) so what do you think will I have to take it again or they will accept this results?
I doubt they'll ask you to retake with those grades, but they may want some evidence that you're going to keep up to speed on maths during 2012.

(Regardless of what Cambridge ask for, it would be a good idea to carry on doing some form of maths this year IMHO).
Reply 2970
Original post by bl14786

Who would that benefit?
Original post by DFranklin
I doubt they'll ask you to retake with those grades, but they may want some evidence that you're going to keep up to speed on maths during 2012.

(Regardless of what Cambridge ask for, it would be a good idea to carry on doing some form of maths this year IMHO).

Well I still haven't finished school (I am not from UK or EU and don't have formal
AS/A level or equivalent qualifications) this is my leaving year but to be honest the knowledge required for STEP(some basic calculus and diferential equations) is not taught in my school in any year. I do have to take some form of leaving exam at the end of the year so theoretically I will continue working on maths. But I actually planned to work for IMO(I already have bronze and a silver) as much as possible so does that counts as keeping up to speed on maths in your opinion?
:smile:
Reply 2972
Although I've been predominantly focusing on the pure questions, I do always check out the mechanics questions! I find them more thought provoking in a sense and I can do some of them I suppose :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I still haven't finished school (I am not from UK or EU and don't have formal
AS/A level or equivalent qualifications) this is my leaving year but to be honest the knowledge required for STEP(some basic calculus and diferential equations) is not taught in my school in any year. I do have to take some form of leaving exam at the end of the year so theoretically I will continue working on maths. But I actually planned to work for IMO(I already have bronze and a silver) as much as possible so does that counts as keeping up to speed on maths in your opinion?
:smile:

Someone applying for Cambridge for 2007 who already had a bronze and a silver from the IMO and S,S (IIRC) from STEP II and III was asked to retake the STEP papers as evidence that he was still practising the right sort of Maths. Olympiad Maths is not the ideal preparation for Cambridge maths. (He went on to get a gold at the 2007 IMO).
Original post by tiny hobbit
Someone applying for Cambridge for 2007 who already had a bronze and a silver from the IMO and S,S (IIRC) from STEP II and III was asked to retake the STEP papers as evidence that he was still practising the right sort of Maths. Olympiad Maths is not the ideal preparation for Cambridge maths. (He went on to get a gold at the 2007 IMO).
Hadn't heard that story.

Although, to quote from Lethal Weapon: I will bet vital parts of my anatomy they'd have taken him even if he'd messed up STEP II/III.
Original post by tiny hobbit

I have to disagree with you about Olympiad maths it is the best preparation for any kind of maths I have been working on various projects involving so called college maths and the ideas you learn how to use in Olympiad maths are more than useful you usually only need to learn a bit of theory and with the rest you never have any problems. I know that this is not the same as Cambridge maths but I don't thinks it is that much different. I have worked for STEP practically the weekend before the exam (I am not really proud of this I simply found out about it rather late) and I have totally screwed up STEP 2 and still got a solid 1 and than got S in STEP 3 without any problems. So I believe that I am the proof that Olympiad maths is very useful :smile: I hope I get a gold as well :smile:

What conditions can an international student(not EU) get when applying to maths
I know for STEP and IELTS(or equivalent) is there any other exam you might be asked to take?
(edited 12 years ago)
I have to disagree with you about Olympiad maths it is the best preparation for any kind of maths I have been working on various projects involving so called college maths and the ideas you learn how to use in Olympiad maths are more than useful you usually only need to learn a bit of theory and with the rest you never have any problems. I know that this is not the same as Cambridge maths but I don't thinks it is that much different.
Obviously "maths is maths", and so people who are at Olympiad standard tend to do well at university. At the same time, although it's unusual, there are IMO participants who don't do that well at Cambridge. (Simply put, there's a lot more "abstract theory" in a degree - and some people find this hard even if they are of Olympiad standard when it comes to more elementary concepts).

In that context, STEP is just another "check box"; you wouldn't expect someone at Olympiad standard to struggle with it, but by making them take it, you do at least make sure they are still up to speed with the kind of maths expected by starting undergraduates.

What conditions can an international student(not EU) get when applying to maths
I know for STEP and IELTS(or equivalent) is there any other exam you might be asked to take?
In principle you might get asked for the AEA at some universities (not Cambridge), but I think it unlikely (I think anywhere wanting the AEA will happily take STEP instead).
Would you recommend any tuition for the STEP exams or is it better to just go through past papers off your own back with no help?
Original post by sam-jennings
Would you recommend any tuition for the STEP exams or is it better to just go through past papers off your own back with no help?

Best to just go through it on your own and ask on here if you get really stuck.
Reply 2979

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending