The Student Room Group

Timewarp's top ten sixth form/college worries

... well nine :wink: Any questions just ask, there's a fair few of us who have been through it all now :biggrin:

Year 12

1. ''I hate or am finding one of my options too hard, I want to change''

You can do, from personal experience if you want to change you need to do it within the first two weeks as that is feesible to catch up on. However, make sure you really do want to drop the subject and do the other subject instead. It may just be the inital shock scaring you.

2. ''How do I organise myself?''

With some lined paper, dividers, highlighters, a lever arch for each subject and a smaller folder to save your back. That was how I organised myself during sixth form, not everyone organised themselves this way though. When it comes down to organisation you need a place to keep (and not lose!) handouts and often folders are the easiest. However if you prefer you can use pukka pads or any other system. Trial and experiment but A) Keep everything in order B) Don't lose those sheets!

3. ''Will the work stay this hard?''

Most likely, yes, however you will get used to it. Once you start to settle down it won't seem that bad at all so don't panic just yet! Just keep on top, don't leave things too late and stay calm and you'll survive :yep:

4. ''When should I start revising?''

Ideally 1-2 months in advance for A levels, however we all know this doesn't really happen! As soon as you need to but not the night before the exam :wink:

5. ''Can I have a job and study for A levels?''

Yes! Just don't over do it... 12 hours a week is ideal and book time off for your exams, that was the biggest mistake I made for AS and I certainly regretted it! Again it's just getting used to balancing your time but don't let A levels stop you getting a job.

Year 13

6. 'I didn't do very well for AS, what can I do?''

Work hard, resit and work out what went wrong. Year 12 is often a major wake up call for 6th formers, I finished with CCCB at the end of mine! However, with a lot of hard work you can improve, I finished with AAC :yep: Don't panic just yet, just start working early this year and work out what you need to do from the start :biggrin:

7. ''What sort of predictions should I receive?''

Typically you should receive the same as what you got at AS or one grade higher unless you particularly flunked unexpectedly or are very persuasive. Just in remember these predictions are vital for university so don't make teachers predict you something completely unrealistic.

8. ''How many resits should I do?''

I would advice no more than 3 or 4 in one sitting, especially if you are doing A2 exams at the same time. If you need to do more than that then you'll be incredibly stressed as you'll have a lot of work to do alongside them. Try and split them between Jan and June to keep a balance and remember that if you need to do a ridiculous amount you may be better off resitting the year instead.

9. ''What is the work load like?''

It's hard and in many subjects very different to AS in terms of what you are expected to do. If you survived AS you'll survive A2 once you settle down again!

Other...

Current Year 12 thread
Current Year 13 thread
Revision chat and help thread
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
alternatively, "will I look stupid if I wear the same jeans all week?!!"
Nice, + rep :wink: Just started AS, settling down now :O
Original post by ratrabbit
alternatively, "will I look stupid if I wear the same jeans all week?!!"

We found only PJs pushed the boundaries of looking stupid :yep: :p:
Reply 4
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
We found only PJs pushed the boundaries of looking stupid :yep: :p:

yes, but the same doesn't hold for giving off odors
Reply 5
selling first page post
Oh, actually WORK during your free periods and not laze around (or drive to McDonalds *guilty*).

I would suggest start working on light revision from February half term onwards. If you break down the workload and spread it over a few months, you'll find it easier to digest information.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
When do you actually make all your new friends? Are the people you met in your first week the only people you'll properly talk to?
Original post by placebo24
When do you actually make all your new friends? Are the people you met in your first week the only people you'll properly talk to?

Depends how adventurous you want to be or how well you get on with those first initial people. Typically I found everyone settled down to be friends mostly with those they have most of their frees with and those they had classes with and you build relationships from the start :yes:

I have to say though that the friends I started with are completely and utterly different from the friends I finished with :o:
Pos rep :h:

I think another worry is "Will I have time for a social life?" Answer is yes, but you need to get your priorities straight!
Reply 10
I'm so torn on whether to drop one of my subjects and do a different one instead. Seriously don't know what to do. Can anyone tell me what edexcel geography is like?
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
... well nine :wink: Any questions just ask, there's a fair few of us who have been through it all now :biggrin:

Year 12

1. ''I hate or am finding one of my options too hard, I want to change''

You can do, from personal experience if you want to change you need to do it within the first two weeks as that is feesible to catch up on. However, make sure you really do want to drop the subject and do the other subject instead. It may just be the inital shock scaring you.

2. ''How do I organise myself?''

With some lined paper, dividers, highlighters, a lever arch for each subject and a smaller folder to save your back. That was how I organised myself during sixth form, not everyone organised themselves this way though. When it comes down to organisation you need a place to keep (and not lose!) handouts and often folders are the easiest. However if you prefer you can use pukka pads or any other system. Trial and experiment but A) Keep everything in order B) Don't lose those sheets!

3. ''Will the work stay this hard?''

Most likely, yes, however you will get used to it. Once you start to settle down it won't seem that bad at all so don't panic just yet! Just keep on top, don't leave things too late and stay calm and you'll survive :yep:

4. ''When should I start revising?''

Ideally 1-2 months in advance for A levels, however we all know this doesn't really happen! As soon as you need to but not the night before the exam :wink:

5. ''Can I have a job and study for A levels?''

Yes! Just don't over do it... 12 hours a week is ideal and book time off for your exams, that was the biggest mistake I made for AS and I certainly regretted it! Again it's just getting used to balancing your time but don't let A levels stop you getting a job.

Year 13

6. 'I didn't do very well for AS, what can I do?''

Work hard, resit and work out what went wrong. Year 12 is often a major wake up call for 6th formers, I finished with CCCB at the end of mine! However, with a lot of hard work you can improve, I finished with AAC :yep: Don't panic just yet, just start working early this year and work out what you need to do from the start :biggrin:

7. ''What sort of predictions should I receive?''

Typically you should receive the same as what you got at AS or one grade higher unless you particularly flunked unexpectedly or are very persuasive. Just in remember these predictions are vital for university so don't make teachers predict you something completely unrealistic.

8. ''How many resits should I do?''

I would advice no more than 3 or 4 in one sitting, especially if you are doing A2 exams at the same time. If you need to do more than that then you'll be incredibly stressed as you'll have a lot of work to do alongside them. Try and split them between Jan and June to keep a balance and remember that if you need to do a ridiculous amount you may be better off resitting the year instead.

9. ''What is the work load like?''

It's hard and in many subjects very different to AS in terms of what you are expected to do. If you survived AS you'll survive A2 once you settle down again!

Other...

Current Year 12 thread
Current Year 13 thread
Revision chat and help thread

Could number 10 not address whether or not somebody should consider taking an extra AS during year 13 alongside their A2s...?
Reply 12
I've changed from English Language to English Lit/Lang. is it worth it? Especially as I have to give up my two ace geography teachers and class with 10+ friends in now. :/

Such decisions with this sixth form lark! Looking back now and realising it was almost two years ago too. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
wow you inspired me with your improvement to AAC, thank you.. i just need to work hard
Reply 14
Try not to forget units as you finish studying them, continually look back over topics so revision isn't as much of a shock. Oh, and get homework done in your frees!
I'm currently in year 11, and the main think that I am worried about is not actually being able to do the work. In maths I currently struggle with a couple of the topics despite my teacher being convinced that I will get an A*, and I have chosen it for AS. How can I cope? Do you learn to deal with the pressure/struggle?
Reply 16
Original post by yahyahyahs
Oh, actually WORK during your free periods and not laze around (or drive to McDonalds *guilty*).

So true. I'm guilty of said crime too :frown: However, working in all your frees means that now, in year 13, I get most of my homework done in school which makes revision more manageable and revives your evening social life :smile:
Will everyone seem more concerned about what you're wearing? If so, when will it stop?
Original post by Safiya122
Will everyone seem more concerned about what you're wearing? If so, when will it stop?

For about the first week or maybe two, then everyone stops caring tbh. No one judges if you come in wearing trackies, but you'll still get complimented and noticed bit you've made an effort :smile:
Reply 19
I got a ACCD in my AS! When you say you finished the year with CCCB, did you mean with resits? As I was a little confused, but this post has been truly inspiring...as I am aiming for a AAB for the University of Liverpool. I am working very very hard in my revision! Does that mean I have a shot :eek: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest