Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supermanben
Hi two quick questions :smile:

1. Do the colleges provide bed sheets? I am going to st aidans?
2. Is there a college laundrette and if so is it free of charge?

Hey - it seems that you can buy a bedding pack from college (I think it's £35) and this will be on sale - but you have to email the college secretary at [email protected]. It includes a duvet, pillow and sheets.

From what I've heard there are 4 washing machines for laundry (some which dispense their own detergent) which cost around £2 but you can share a load with someone.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/262842300406846/ (St Aidan's Fresher's Group)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by pianofluteftw
but you can share a load with someone.

It's not very hygienic. Unless it's your partner of course. Most clothes can be washed together (even whites and colours) after 2-3 washes.
Original post by velociraptor
It's not very hygienic. Unless it's your partner of course. Most clothes can be washed together (even whites and colours) after 2-3 washes.

This is just what someone already at Durham said - I'm a fresher as well! I'm just going by what they said - and if people want to keep their laundry cost down it's an option.

And is it really that unhygienic anyway?
Original post by pianofluteftw
This is just what someone already at Durham said - I'm a fresher as well! I'm just going by what they said - and if people want to keep their laundry cost down it's an option.

And is it really that unhygienic anyway?

Well depending on what you wash I guess. My flatmate and I used to wash our hoodies together. If it was underwear, would be very awkward to ask them to provide evidence of having no skin diseases and STIs hehe.

As an example: some things one wouldn't tell you about (I guess) that can happen to anyone are boils. They are extremely contagious and all clothes and sheets that come in contact better be washed at 90+ degrees, or even boiled. I don't know any other examples but I'm pretty sure hospitals sterilise everything between patients for a reason
(edited 12 years ago)
Well depending on what you wash I guess. My flatmate and I used to wash our hoodies together. If it was underwear, would be very awkward to ask them to provide evidence of having no skin diseases and STIs hehe.

As an example: some things one wouldn't tell you about (I guess) that can happen to anyone are boils. They are extremely contagious and all clothes and sheets that come in contact better be washed at 90+ degrees, or even boiled. I don't know any other examples but I'm pretty sure hospitals sterilise everything between patients for a reason

Yeah I was only going along the hoodies idea - not underwear :redface:
And well I hadn't thought about boils and stuff but I kind of hope if someone did have boils they wouldn't agree to sharing! Otherwise that would be pretty awkward!

Ewww. I was never really planning on sharing (I was just sharing information as it were) but this has put me off even more :s-smilie:

Woah, I'd never thought of any of that. :s-smilie:
So any good excuses if someone asks you if you want to share so you don't offend them?
So any good excuses if someone asks you if you want to share so you don't offend them?

Tell them
a. you have too much clothes and bedsheets
b. you are allergic to their detergent and your is super expensive
c. you prefer organic detergent (again more expensive)
d. you are a germaphobe
e. say 'no ta'
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 208
I'm just leaving Stephenson after my 4th week, but will see you all in the 4th year!

Tell them that you don't want to risk ruining someone else's clothes in case one of your shirt's colour runs...

That way you look really considerate as well :P
Reply 210
I did my laundry with my friends all the time. We even did towels with half the corridor, to be able to properly fill a machine and do it on high temperature. I think I did underwear with my best friend without thinking about it xP Still do now actually. I am sure we've exchanged several pairs of socks by accident...
Reply 211

Does your family not wash their clothes together? :s-smilie: Surely it's not much different to that.
Can STIs even be passed on through clothing, considering it will have just been through a wash!?
Original post by Antifazian
Does your family not wash their clothes together? :s-smilie: Surely it's not much different to that.
Can STIs even be passed on through clothing, considering it will have just been through a wash!?

Of course we do. But if one of us had some sort of an infection I trust them to tell me and do theirs separately while getting rid of it.
Actually I like to do my own laundry because my mum is a fan of 90 degrees which destroys colours in all my favourite things :redface:
I don't know which infections can be destroyed by washing powder at low temps and which can't. I'm just being a cautious germaphobe like my nan, who is a doctor.
Reply 213
Of course we do. But if one of us had some sort of an infection I trust them to tell me and do theirs separately while getting rid of it.
Actually I like to do my own laundry because my mum is a fan of 90 degrees which destroys colours in all my favourite things :redface:
I don't know which infections can be destroyed by washing powder at low temps and which can't. I'm just being a cautious germaphobe like my nan, who is a doctor.

haha fair enough. Maybe living in hostels has made me too lax about this kind of thing!
Reply 214
Can all you lovely freshers do everyone including yourselves a favour and vote for durham in this link below!! There is only 20mins left soo ASAP,

peace out see ya next week!!

http://apps.facebook.com/opinionpolls/index.php?pid=ABSJj_wYSyw
Obvious solution - do a full load of washing
Reply 216
Original post by Gilbird
I was so scared on results day thinking I only got a B in maths meaning no Uni at all, but yet I'm going off to Grey in October doing Chemistry!
*Bets no one does the same thing there? XD*
Maybe I'll get the forms on Monday, form filling to go =P
EDIT: I hope I haven't forgotten anything, I've replied to that as12 email

I want to apply to Durham-Grey College, Chemistry as well. I suppose you have arrived at Grey. How are thingd there? Why did you choose Grey.
Reply 217
Original post by Hope333
I want to apply to Durham-Grey College, Chemistry as well. I suppose you have arrived at Grey. How are thingd there? Why did you choose Grey.

Sorry to butt in, but just saw you were asking about Grey - I'm here too and it's awesome. Really lovely people, rooms very nice, great freshers week (for those who like going and staying in). I didn't originally choose it but I've been completely converted :biggrin:
Heyy Guys :smile:
Glad you're all enjoying Fresher's and Durham so much.
Thought you all might want to join something new whilst here - why not try out Durham's Ballroom And Latin American Dance Society (BALADS). We have a taster event this Tuesday 11th, 7.30 in the Fonteyn Ballroom
Here's the facebook event for more info:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=253644454672869

Hope to see you there guys!! Just give it a go :smile:
Reply 219
Original post by eve_m
Sorry to butt in, but just saw you were asking about Grey - I'm here too and it's awesome. Really lovely people, rooms very nice, great freshers week (for those who like going and staying in). I didn't originally choose it but I've been completely converted :biggrin:

Thanks! I wrote Grey in UCAS! :smile: Lets hope I have done the right choice.

Quick Reply