The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by paddyraggy1993
Nope, it's for an existing store. It's been just over 3 weeks now so I'd kinda resigned to myself that I hadn't gotten it but I haven't actually got the rejection letter and when I logged into the asda website it still says 'application in progress'. So blah, don't really now what to do. I have had multiple interviews for debehnams and mcdonalds so there is a possibility of them offering me something very soon so I would like to have all my cards on the table before I make a possible choice between them all. Do you think I should call up the store and ask ? I should have asked the woman how long it would take for them to get back to me at the 2nd interview >.<

Not sure how long it takes when its a existing store, I have been told with new stores it can take up to 4-6 weeks for an answer. I would give them a call, especially as you have applied for other jobs so that way at least you will will know :smile:
Reply 1121
Original post by Laudan
Has anyone been to a magic event recently. I have read back to page 25 but was just wondering if they were still the same. Thanks

Went last month. 19th Sept was my first day, lots of speeches, paperwork, watching dvds. 2nd day for me was cash office training (as thats the job I got) others in my group were doing till training/self scan training. 3rd day Till training, 4th day self scan training. A few from my group got sent to a local supermarket for some "live" training too. Hope this helps!
Im filling out the application form and it asks for previous jobs. Ive never had a job before so figured Id just leave it blank (obviously) but it comes up with this message. You guys have any ideas?

tet.jpg
Is anyone else having this problem with the online system? Everytime I apply for a new job, it lets me review all the details again but when it comes to the assessment, it just says I can ''close this page'' and I do and then I can't do the assessment it just closes it entirely then I get an email saying I have applied for the job?
Reply 1124
Original post by insignificant
Is anyone else having this problem with the online system? Everytime I apply for a new job, it lets me review all the details again but when it comes to the assessment, it just says I can ''close this page'' and I do and then I can't do the assessment it just closes it entirely then I get an email saying I have applied for the job?

Did the same for me I have applied for 4 vacancies but only did the assessment on the first one. I have just been invited to a Magic event for the last one I applied for so looks like you only need to do it once.
Hi I would like someone to help me please, I went for a group interview with asda yesterday, towards the end one of the managers asked me if I minded doing an interview there and then, I agreed and went into another room with her, I answered a few questions and she told me she would call me the next day with an answer to wether I had the job or not. It all sounded really promising at the interview, we went through times etc together. Nobody else there got an interview, they all went home.
I have not yet heard anything, I'm not sure if she will call me, my status on my online application has changed to application in progress.
Could you please help me, do you think she will call me?
Thanks
Reply 1126
Original post by jenna1blondie
Hi I would like someone to help me please, I went for a group interview with asda yesterday, towards the end one of the managers asked me if I minded doing an interview there and then, I agreed and went into another room with her, I answered a few questions and she told me she would call me the next day with an answer to wether I had the job or not. It all sounded really promising at the interview, we went through times etc together. Nobody else there got an interview, they all went home.
I have not yet heard anything, I'm not sure if she will call me, my status on my online application has changed to application in progress.
Thanks

Did you hear anything, went to a magic event & was told we would hear either way within 72 hours & have heard nothing. Don't know if to ring
Reply 1127
If you apply to Asda do you automatically get an oppurtunity to attend the Asda Magic session?
Reply 1128
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me. I recently applied for a store position at Asda {Sheldon} and i received a email inviting me to a 'Asda Magic session' , however when i click on the link they provided it say's the event is no longer available for registration. I have no idea of what to do next, will i still the have opportunity to schedule a Asda magic session ?
Reply 1129
Original post by LeahT
If you apply to Asda do you automatically get an oppurtunity to attend the Asda Magic session?

No you have to be picked to attend the event. I applied to my nearest store and heard nothing them applied to another store and got invited to a magic event.
Original post by mazzz11

Original post by mazzz11
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me. I recently applied for a store position at Asda {Sheldon} and i received a email inviting me to a 'Asda Magic session' , however when i click on the link they provided it say's the event is no longer available for registration. I have no idea of what to do next, will i still the have opportunity to schedule a Asda magic session ?

Try phoning their store, and they should be able to help you out, as that's probably where your Magic session should be.
Reply 1131
Ok I've passed the magic event &have been invited for an interview, can anyone tell me what sort of questions they will ask. Thanks
Original post by jenna1blondie
Thanks

Did you get a name/ Department for the manger? you could call and ask to speak to them or if not personnel. explain the situation. I got a call 2 hours after my interview, mind you it was 3 years ago and I did it at the same time as my magic. but it sounds good good luck
Reply 1133
I've just got a temp job there, I'm working 9-6 next week, what breaks do I get? Thanks (great thread btw)

Also does lunch count as part of break entitlement?
(edited 12 years ago)
Please help- My application says 'under review' for over a months now. What should I do? Thanks
Original post by ~Hazzle*
I've just got a temp job there, I'm working 9-6 next week, what breaks do I get? Thanks (great thread btw)

Also does lunch count as part of break entitlement?

If I remember this correctly, you should get 30 minutes lunch (it's normally an hour but people only take 30 mins at my store) which is unpaid. Then you get 30 minutes paid breaks - presumably you can take 2 lots of 15 minutes.
I've got an ASDA Magic assessment next week, I've worked at the Co-op before doing pretty much everything they wanted me to do, apart from stock counting with the electronic handheld devices, as there wasn't enough of them. Apparently the assessment involves roleplays, teamwork and communication tasks and having a go at being on the tills and chatting to the customers eh? Should be easy peasy. I've applied for a temporary position of 16 hours for what is obviously going to be the busy Christmas period. How long do they keep you employed for after Christmas, and are you paid at the same rate as permanent staff? And to anybody with experience, how easy is it to put in overtime as a temporary worker?
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I've got an ASDA Magic assessment next week, I've worked at the Co-op before doing pretty much everything they wanted me to do, apart from stock counting with the electronic handheld devices, as there wasn't enough of them. Apparently the assessment involves roleplays, teamwork and communication tasks and having a go at being on the tills and chatting to the customers eh? Should be easy peasy. I've applied for a temporary position of 16 hours for what is obviously going to be the busy Christmas period. How long do they keep you employed for after Christmas, and are you paid at the same rate as permanent staff? And to anybody with experience, how easy is it to put in overtime as a temporary worker?

Christmas temp contracts are terminated at the end of January I think - it was in my store anyway. I was then offered a permanent contract so if you work hard you have a decent chance of turning it into a permanent role.

You are paid the same yes, though you're on a lower wage for a probational period (I can't remember how long it was - they should tell you at the ASDA Magic - and that's the same for permanent members as well).

It should be pretty easy to get overtime. Demonstrate you can do the job well and there is no reason why you'd be overlooked. I could pretty much work any hours I wanted (though it was a bit easier for me as I work for a department so can get overtime through them and through the checkouts as well).
Original post by m00balot

Original post by m00balot
Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!

How much do you get paid on an hourly basis? And how many hours do you normally work? And would they accept somebody between the ages of 16 and 18?
Original post by callum9999
Christmas temp contracts are terminated at the end of January I think - it was in my store anyway. I was then offered a permanent contract so if you work hard you have a decent chance of turning it into a permanent role.

You are paid the same yes, though you're on a lower wage for a probational period (I can't remember how long it was - they should tell you at the ASDA Magic - and that's the same for permanent members as well).

It should be pretty easy to get overtime. Demonstrate you can do the job well and there is no reason why you'd be overlooked. I could pretty much work any hours I wanted (though it was a bit easier for me as I work for a department so can get overtime through them and through the checkouts as well).

Hello Callum, thank you for your reply. I know full well it is a seasonal temporary contract so I was sort of Thinking mid-January or somewhere around that date. I'm at college about 20 hours a week but I'm hoping to skip a few parties and work lots of overtime to get some more cash and improve my chances of going permanent. Permanent until I set off on my summer adventures at least. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending