The Student Room Group

Anthropology Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Megin

Original post by Megin
Some amazing choices there! I think I've already said on this thread somewhere how in love I am with UCL/SOAS. :smile:

Goldsmiths isn't too bad, I don't think! I haven't actually visited yet, I'll go to the open day next month but the course details look amazing. And they're the highest ranking of all of my choices, so actually probably hoping a little too much to get an offer from them!

I'm sure if you want to go to Goldsmiths, you can get in! All the best even if you think it is so tough.
Reply 41
Original post by jasonm

Original post by jasonm
Having just graduated from the LSE in Soc. Anth, I would highly recommend it to anyone, the teachers are all pretty incredible and I think they are actually sponsoring students to do their own fieldwork for a few months nowdays.

I don't know whether to look into LSE. A lot of people I know talk of it very positively, but I really want to be able to do Archaeology, so unless they do Arch and Anth, I'll probably not apply.
Reply 42
Original post by **CC**

Original post by **CC**
I'm applying for Arch and Anth at Cambridge....but to be honest, I'm mainly interested in Anth. Also, you're applying to UEA, I live in Norwich, its a pretty good city :smile: , I'd apply if I didn't live so close!

Can I ask why you chose Cambridge? They accept a lot more applicants for Arch and Anth than at Oxford, I know that much. What made you choose it? Yeah, UEA! It has a great 4 year course which I'd be happy to do if all my other universities rejected me... and of course, if they accepted.

I don't know if I'm doing it right by replying to all of you in seperate posts? I'm sure there's an easier way to reply to multiple people in one post. Ah well.
Reply 43
Original post by Howie713
I'm sure if you want to go to Goldsmiths, you can get in! All the best even if you think it is so tough.

Yep, optimism is the key!

Original post by Howie713
I don't know if I'm doing it right by replying to all of you in seperate posts? I'm sure there's an easier way to reply to multiple people in one post. Ah well.

If you press the button next to quote on all messages you want to quote (it's "multi-quote") and then the actual quote button on the final one, it will take you to the reply to thread page with all quotes ready to reply to. Took me ages to work it out before!
Original post by Remy-Rae
Are you thinking of doing a year abroad? :smile:

I was looking at Manchester but replaced it with Edinburgh.. :')
Right now, it seems like it'll be SOAS, LSE, UCL, St.Andrews and Edinburgh. Anyone else applying for any of these five?

I'm applying to UCL and Edinburgh (but could change the latter for St. Andrews if that looks better).

I absolutely loved the course at SOAS as well (and LSE looked great) but I only wanted to apply to one London uni and I really loved the look of the Archaeology part of the UCL course (and that 4 day residential in Sussex in the first week). And I love the area of London that UCL is in.

I'm applying to Cambridge, UCL and Bristol for Arch & Anth, Durham for Anth and Edinburgh for Soc Anth.
Reply 45
Quiet thread lately! :smile:
If anyone has any questions about anthropology at Edinburgh then send them my way... along with your PS in PS help if you'd like a review on it :smile:
Reply 47
I'm applying to:
SOAS - Social Anth
Edinburgh - Social Anth
Manchester - Social Anth
Sussex - Social Anth
Kent - Social Anth w/ year in Japan
:smile:
Original post by LRodel
I'm applying to:
SOAS - Social Anth
Edinburgh - Social Anth
Manchester - Social Anth
Sussex - Social Anth
Kent - Social Anth w/ year in Japan
:smile:

Best of luck! You must have similar tastes to me, cos your choices are almost exactly mine! Only I didn't apply to SOAS and Edinburgh, but Durham and Queen's Belfast. Any favourites out of your 5? If you end up at Manchester I'll be there, I start in 2012, got given my place this summer.
Reply 49
ooo! i'm applying for deferred entry though! Haven't seen Manc yet but have heard great things. I'm seeing SOAS tomorrow - course-wise it's my favourite, but I fell in love with Edinburgh when I went to visit. Ahhh Durham's course was a little too sciencey for me - also, I don't have a B in Science GCSE ha! Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 50
Hello! I'm applying to Edinburgh (Soc. Anth), SOAS (Soc. Anth), Aberdeen (Soc. Anth), LSE and...not so sure about my fifth choice. I really loved the SOAS program and feel, I'm intrigued by Aberdeen's focus on the North...I still have to visit Edinburgh! ...any suggestions? I'm not much into biological anthropology and such so UCL didn't seem like the best choice. But I dunno. :biggrin:
Reply 51
Hi :biggrin: I'm thinking of applying to Hull (with Italian), Kent, Manchester, Aberdeen & i'm stuck on my 5th choice. I'm thinking Brunel but i don't really know.

also, why is it when I say I'm doing anthropology, (well want to!) everyone makes this face. it's so off putting. YES i know, it's not medicine/law but that's not the only good course in the world! lol
Original post by monicaa
Hi :biggrin: I'm thinking of applying to Hull (with Italian), Kent, Manchester, Aberdeen & i'm stuck on my 5th choice. I'm thinking Brunel but i don't really know.

also, why is it when I say I'm doing anthropology, (well want to!) everyone makes this face. it's so off putting. YES i know, it's not medicine/law but that's not the only good course in the world! lol

They're probably making a face because they don't have the foggiest of what anth actually is :wink:
Reply 53
hahaha!

Also, what do you think of my chances in getting into/being considered for Manchester? They ask for ABB, but i'm predicted BBB. BUT @ AS i got ABB(CC) which after 1 resit in Jan should be AAB(CC). I've been told my PS is very good because i talk about my mixed cultural background etc.

Also, what are your opinions on applying for anthro @ Queens Belfast :smile:?
Reply 54
Original post by monicaa

Brunel is one of my choices, but I think they focus a lot on the sci aspects ;(. But they don't look too bad! I didn't go the the open day, though, so maybe someone can enlighten us!

I also feel exactly the same about 'the face'. Even some comments I've had have been so demotivating! But at least we know it's one of the best degrees to have anyway :wink:
Reply 55
Original post by Megin
Brunel is one of my choices, but I think they focus a lot on the sci aspects ;(.

ah really :frown: i wanted to steer away of the biology! :/
Reply 56
I'm also stuck stuck stuck on fifth choice. ._.
Reply 57
I've made my choiceee! Queens belfast, Hull, Manchester, Kent & Aberdeen :P hehe now im so excited
Reply 58
Good luck everyone :smile:
Hi :smile:

I've applied to:
LSE
St Andrews
Edinburgh
SOAS
Manchester

So excited :biggrin:

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply