The Student Room Group

6 A Levels?

Right so, I'm leaving school next year (2012) and I need to start thinking about colleges and sixth forms. I know I'm deffinately doing A Levels, but I just don't know what to pick as I am unsure of what I want to do a degree in, maybe Medicine of History?

I want to keep my options open so I'll need to do all my sciences and my maths along with English and History.

So all together that'll be:
- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

6 A Levels. :s-smilie: I just want to know if that's possible. Are you allowed to take six a levels? Would that be too much work? I'm predicted for A's and A*'s at GCSE so I can do the work, I just wonder if it's too much? :confused:

Well, thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is the point in taking 6?
Reply 2
Original post by weasleyisking
Right so, I'm leaving school next year (2012) and I need to start thinking about colleges and sixth forms. I know I'm deffinately doing A Levels, but I just don't know what to pick as I am unsure of what I want to do a degree in, maybe Medicine of History?

I want to keep my options open so I'll need to do all my sciences and my maths along with English and History.

- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

6 A Levels. :s-smilie: I just want to know if that's possible. Are you allowed to take six a levels? Would that be too much work? I'm predicted for A's and A*'s at GCSE so I can do the work, I just wonder if it's too much? :confused:

It would be alot to take. The minimum is around 4 - 3 alevels and only take the subjects that will help you to get into uni to do your preferred subject. GCSE TO A-level is a big leap so don't take a-level easily.
Reply 3
I can say with almost 100% certainty that you won't be able to cope. People who have done better than you in GCSEs have flopped their A-levels.
Reply 4
Essentially, you might be able to do it, we can't tell. Some people manage 6 alright, some wouldn't, the only way you can tell is to try, but don't be afraid to drop 1 or 2 if it becomes too much.

- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

waste of time. completely and utterly.
No, just no.

you only need three yet alone six!
Reply 7
lol no waaaay gona be very hard ....

i got 8 A*'s in GCSE and im struggling with 4 alevels now :s-smilie:
Reply 8
You do realise the only advantage of that if you fail half of your a-levels you'd still have three pass's? Uni's only accept your three highest results. Nothing more.
Reply 9
Do it. See where it gets you m'girl.

(It will not be fun for you. Not fun at all)

Don't bother, unless you want to do six because you can't think of a future in which you aren't doing all sciences maths english and history.

You only need 3 A-levels to get into university for flip's sake.
top fool.
Reply 11
Doing six A levels is pointless...it can be done,but is not seen as advantageous in any way. Just stick to 4 and if you really must do 5 As. You really need to decide what route you want to pursue as medicine and history are two very different courses.Also please remember that maths is NOT essential for medicine. Focus on your Gcse's and try not to stress out about A level choices to much....

- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

That is a lot of a-levels to take. Most colleges/6th forms let you take 3/4/5 a-levels at a time. Im not sure if they would let you do 6, you would have to ask. It is a lot though, but if you think you can handle it, then go ahead- at least you can drop 1, maybe 2 if it gets too much.
Reply 13

- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

I can see you want to keep your options open . I'd suggest not doing physics that way you have bio chem and maths which is all you need for medecine and then history and English if you decide to do history .
Most people do 4 quite a few people i know ( including myself ) do 5 . I only know know person who is doing 6 and there sixth a level is critical thinking

Five is still al lot but something manageable if you completly all out for the whole two years i'd say

And then before A2 if you found it too challenging you could drop something else and take 4 onto A2
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Drop Physics and English that why you will still be able to do either medicine or History at uni. If you only wanna drop then chose one of those two, maybe talk to your college to see what they think and weather you would be able to cope.
Are you doing this because you think it will help you get into university?
If so, forget it - it won't help. Do 4 AS and 3/4 A2 and enjoy your life.

However, if you are doing it because you're genuinely interested and passionate about the subjects, want to pursue them further and are prepared to make a substantial commitment in terms of work, then go for it.
Be aware, however, that you will be working late into the evenings most nights, and your ability to do ECs, get a job etc with be limited. I did 6 AS and 1 A2 last year, and I managed to fit in some sport, some volunteering, a few debates and a bit of a social life. I don't regret it because it's going to help me do what I want to do (my circumstances are a bit weird) and I genuinely joined the subjects, but make sure you're doing this for the right reasons :smile:
Reply 16
I'm doing 5, but as you can see in my sig they are all humanities, so therefore are not nearly as hard as the sciences.

Doing all the hard sciences and then some humanities on top is bad idea, and you probably won't be able to do it anyway. At my school people who are taking sciences are finding them their toughest subjects.

Pick your direction, and take 4 would be my idea. We can't all be polymaths unfortunately. There are not enough hours in the day...
I did 6. Had no choice.
Reply 18
Original post by MedicineBug
I did 6. Had no choice.

But which six?
Reply 19
What is the point, uni's only want 3 full A-levels.