The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
It should be up to date (or was last week). If not hit the contact tab on the web-site to point out any discrepancies.
My application has now been processed :smile: It's exciting but scary. I've applied to Cambridge, Durham and Lancaster. I haven't yet made my final two choices so I'm going to add them in later. I'm thinking about waiting until I have a decision from Lancaster or Durham (or maybe both) before deciding on where else to apply.
Original post by vedderfan94
My application has now been processed :smile: It's exciting but scary. I've applied to Cambridge, Durham and Lancaster. I haven't yet made my final two choices so I'm going to add them in later. I'm thinking about waiting until I have a decision from Lancaster or Durham (or maybe both) before deciding on where else to apply.

Snap!! I've applied to all three :smile: (and Birmingham and St. Andrews) Good luck :smile:
Username: claudio.arena
I'm an EU student, so I don't know what qualification to put here...I'm expecting to have 100/100 to the Italian high-school exit exam.
Currently considering: Oxford, St.Andrew, Imperial College, King's College, University College London.

Applying for physics. I'll probably send the application tonight, since Its ready
Original post by alcimedes
I had Leeds on my list but other people said it wasn't up there with the best ones. Is it your insurance or is it better than others think? I'm going for theoretical too.

It isnt necessarily a good University for Physics but its a good university itself. I think, as its my only AAB offer its my lowest and logically my insurance. But in reality Kings being AAA will probably be my insurance.
Don't let other people convince you, go with what you think is right for you. At the end of the day you need to be happy!
Original post by Mikey73
It isnt necessarily a good University for Physics but its a good university itself. I think, as its my only AAB offer its my lowest and logically my insurance. But in reality Kings being AAA will probably be my insurance.
Don't let other people convince you, go with what you think is right for you. At the end of the day you need to be happy!

I've changed my mind 100 times or more. my others want A*AA or AAA but I'm eligible for Access to Leeds so their offer would be BBB if they wanted me! however I would firm Durham with Lancaster for insurance if I got offers from those two. thinking of having Sheffield as fifth choice. Went to Leeds open day and it was fine but I haven't been blown away at any open days tbh but that';s because I'm so laidback (in a bad way)
Reply 226
Probably will send mine off next week (once my school has got all the medicine people out of the way, seeing as no one in my school is applying for oxbridge)

Gives me a bit more time to decide on my final choices. Going with Manchester (A*AA - matching my predictions), St Andrews (AAA), Sheffield (AAB lower but the one I'm most keen on) and Leicester (AAA-ABB). What do you think of those?

Can you add choices later? I heard someone say that it's possible, would give me more time to think about the final one and see what happens for the first couple of weeks.

How are your personal statements coming along? I think mine is readyish I really do sound like a physics nut in mine, not sure if that's a good thing. But people have said it is really good. I was going to ask a question but it's decided to vacate my brain...typical.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MinpoloD
Going with Manchester, St Andrews (both A*AA)

...isn't St. Andrews AAA?! *fingers crossed*
Reply 228
Original post by DeathByNinja
...isn't St. Andrews AAA?! *fingers crossed*

Yep my mistake.
Yep my mistake.

Phew! My heartrate can decrease a bit :P That scared me a little!! :smile:
Reply 230
Original post by DeathByNinja
Phew! My heartrate can decrease a bit :P That scared me a little!! :smile:

sorry about that.

Guessing you're applying there too, where else are you looking at?
Probably will send mine off next week (once my school has got all the medicine people out of the way, seeing as no one in my school is applying for oxbridge)

Gives me a bit more time to decide on my final choices. Going with Manchester (A*AA - matching my predictions), St Andrews (AAA), Sheffield (AAB lower but the one I'm most keen on) and Leicester (AAA-ABB). What do you think of those?

Can you add choices later? I heard someone say that it's possible, would give me more time to think about the final one and see what happens for the first couple of weeks.

How are your personal statements coming along? I think mine is readyish I really do sound like a physics nut in mine, not sure if that's a good thing. But people have said it is really good. I was going to ask a question but it's decided to vacate my brain...typical.

sadly mine is not so good. my reference is ready-they're waiting for me to sort pers state out. don't know about leiseter at all but your other choices seem really good.
sorry about that.

Guessing you're applying there too, where else are you looking at?

No worries :smile: Yeah I am... Cambridge (Physical NatSci), Durham, Birmingham and Lancaster. I keep checking my emails in the hope that I'll get an email from UCAS! I hate this wait :frown:
Original post by alcimedes
I've changed my mind 100 times or more. my others want A*AA or AAA but I'm eligible for Access to Leeds so their offer would be BBB if they wanted me! however I would firm Durham with Lancaster for insurance if I got offers from those two. thinking of having Sheffield as fifth choice. Went to Leeds open day and it was fine but I haven't been blown away at any open days tbh but that';s because I'm so laidback (in a bad way)

That is very similar to me. I'd qualify for the access to Leeds scheme but I am not too sure its time-efficient. If I get offers everywhere else I do not think its likely I would consider Leeds at all. All my friends are applying so its technically my social safety net.
I am a city guy, Durham was too relaxed a place for me but I'd agree with the firming of Durham based purely on the reputation. If you can get in that should be the choice! Best of luck anyway!
Reply 234
Username: Martik
GCSE's: 2A* 9A 1B (not brilliant but hey :biggrin:)
A levels: A*A*AA (A*s in maths and physics)
Was really ill last year so couldn't apply but worked hard towards end of the year and did ok in A levels so want to have a crack at uni :biggrin:
Considering: Imperial (I wont get in here but fancy trying), Durham, Warwick, UCL, Lancaster (?), Manchester(?), Edinburgh(?), St Andrews(?)

Is St Andrews a fun place to live, I heard it's a dead town :/
Reply 235
Original post by Martik
Username: Martik
GCSE's: 2A* 9A 1B (not brilliant but hey :biggrin:)
A levels: A*A*AA (A*s in maths and physics)
Was really ill last year so couldn't apply but worked hard towards end of the year and did ok in A levels so want to have a crack at uni :biggrin:
Considering: Imperial (I wont get in here but fancy trying), Durham, Warwick, UCL, Lancaster (?), Manchester(?), Edinburgh(?), St Andrews(?)

Is St Andrews a fun place to live, I heard it's a dead town :/

it is a small town my physics teacher studied there bout 10 years ago nd he says the physics department is briliant and all tht, not many clubs bt ther are bars house parties etc. clubs can be found elsewhere tho...and maybe go for oxford? ur chances arent so bad if you think the PAT is easish bt tmrow is the deadline so hurry if u want to....
Reply 236
hello!
I am an Indian citizen and have already made an application to the following universities
Oxford, UCL, Manchester, Edinburgh and Nottingham
Reply 237
Original post by a.koe
it is a small town my physics teacher studied there bout 10 years ago nd he says the physics department is briliant and all tht, not many clubs bt ther are bars house parties etc. clubs can be found elsewhere tho...and maybe go for oxford? ur chances arent so bad if you think the PAT is easish bt tmrow is the deadline so hurry if u want to....

Nah don't want to do the PAT, I don't think I'm good enough for Oxford either.
Has anyone who has sent their UCAS application off not put down 5 choices? I've applied to Cambridge (NatSci), Durham and Lancaster as I'm undecided on my final two choices. I was thinking of waiting until I have decisions from Durham and Lancaster, but I've read that Durham can take until March to make a decision.
Original post by vedderfan94
Has anyone who has sent their UCAS application off not put down 5 choices? I've applied to Cambridge (NatSci), Durham and Lancaster as I'm undecided on my final two choices. I was thinking of waiting until I have decisions from Durham and Lancaster, but I've read that Durham can take until March to make a decision.

March D: I did have a friend last year, genius at physics (he got rejected from oxford, which people that got in were shocked at) who it took until Feb for an offer, so just think the application staff must have something better to do :P

Quick Reply