The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LHC
I know it's sucks so much having to wait :L yes i am :smile: it's my first choice so i really really hope i get accepted but no one knows what "does it" for edinburgh so we'll have to wait and see :biggrin:

Yeah, not sure my nerves will be in a great state if it takes 'til March to get offers... :s-smilie:
Cool, there seem to be quite a few of us medics hanging around :smile: Where else did you end up applying?
The mysteries of the selection... I'm just hoping that the new separate quotas for how many Scots vs. English get into the course don't work against me!
Good luck with everything! :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 61
Original post by imnotherehonest
Yeah, not sure my nerves will be in a great state if it takes 'til March to get offers... :s-smilie:
Cool, there seem to be quite a few of us medics hanging around :smile: Where else did you end up applying?
The mysteries of the selection... I'm just hoping that the new separate quotas for how many Scots vs. English get into the course don't work against me!
Good luck with everything! :biggrin:

Haha yeah same :L It's such a long time to wait :frown: if they were going to reject me, I wish they'd do it sooner than later so that I wouldn't have to worry for months on end! Hehe :smile: yeah there are several of us and many more scattered around tsr, worrying in other threads :L the other universities I am applying to are dundee, aberdeen and st Andrews, what about you :smile:?
Oh yeah i forgot about that :O I think it's supposed to help Scottish students :/ where abouts are you from :smile:?
Good luck to you too :biggrin:
I've applied for History. Very much hoping for an offer! :crossedf:
Reply 63
im applying for law! but i highly highly doubt i'll get in. its a long shot but i'll regret it if i dont apply!
Original post by LHC
Haha yeah same :L It's such a long time to wait :frown: if they were going to reject me, I wish they'd do it sooner than later so that I wouldn't have to worry for months on end! Hehe :smile: yeah there are several of us and many more scattered around tsr, worrying in other threads :L the other universities I am applying to are dundee, aberdeen and st Andrews, what about you :smile:?
Oh yeah i forgot about that :O I think it's supposed to help Scottish students :/ where abouts are you from :smile:?
Good luck to you too :biggrin:

Well, hopefully that won't happen :crossedf: Think positive!
Ooh, all Scottish ones! I've applied to Oxford, Imperial and Southampton. I'm from Surrey in the south of England so Scotland's a long way away! I really liked Edinburgh though (and maybe being ages away from my family isn't such a bad thing :L)
Not sure it's really to help anyone, I think it's just because of the fees thing and they need a number to give to the government... :confused:
ok so i was pretty sure edinburgh was going to be one of my choices, then my friend warned me that they rarely accept english students, or they are extremely picky.

now im worried about choosing it for international relations :frown:
Original post by maxcartwright
ok so i was pretty sure edinburgh was going to be one of my choices, then my friend warned me that they rarely accept english students, or they are extremely picky.

It's a myth, as this the FAQs on this thread will show: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1805509

My son's there and there are hardly any Scots on his course!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Qwertyuip
Ah cool. I'm from New Zealand. What are you applying for?

I'm not sure. Either Psychology and Linguistics or Psychology and Business Studies... You?

Have you submitted your application yet? I haven't... I want to do my essays for US universities first...
Original post by maxcartwright

As carnationlilyrose says, the part about English students is a load of rubbish. However, they are obviously picky. For entry to the university in 2010, IR received 836 applications, of which 86 received offers of a place, and 36 turned up to take them up. So only 10% of applicants got an offer at all in IR.
Reply 69
Original post by cricket123
I'm not sure. Either Psychology and Linguistics or Psychology and Business Studies... You?

Have you submitted your application yet? I haven't... I want to do my essays for US universities first...

History. Yeah I did mine a couple of weeks ago. In NZ it's just a matter of applying, you don't need to do essays or anything. Anyway, good luck with your applications!
Reply 70
Well, hopefully that won't happen :crossedf: Think positive!
Ooh, all Scottish ones! I've applied to Oxford, Imperial and Southampton. I'm from Surrey in the south of England so Scotland's a long way away! I really liked Edinburgh though (and maybe being ages away from my family isn't such a bad thing :L)
Not sure it's really to help anyone, I think it's just because of the fees thing and they need a number to give to the government... :confused:

I know :biggrin: yeah, I live in Scotland and get then for free so It's the easier option :wink: wow oxford :O? Is that your first choice :smile:? Ah yeah that is far away :P yeah Edinburgh is such a beautiful place, way more beautiful than Glasgow :smile: well, I'm not sure but i was told one of the main reasons was that the universities weren't getting enough money from the Scottish government so because they could get lots of money from English students, they'd choose them over us. So the Scottish government had to introduce a cap which indirectly can help Scottish students in places like Edinburgh where they tend to have more English students than Scottish :P
Reply 71
Original post by kirsti
im applying for law! but i highly highly doubt i'll get in. its a long shot but i'll regret it if i dont apply!

I felt exactly the same way when I applied 5 years ago. Then I got the unconditional offer. So go for it, and you might be seeing me as your tutor in a year's time. :smile:
applying for medicine second time round, and for medicinal & biological chemistry :smile:
Reply 73
Are all offers given out in march or just for medicine? :smile:
Original post by alt31

i got my chemistry offer last year in december. i think they give them out on a rolling basis, but any people who are 'maybes' will get kept later until they've looked through everyone?
Reply 75
Original post by alt31

Original post by atomos
i got my chemistry offer last year in december. i think they give them out on a rolling basis, but any people who are 'maybes' will get kept later until they've looked through everyone?

Offers will be given earlier for science subjects that Arts and Humanities, simply because they are less oversubscribed and have less applications to look through. But the process is famously inscrutable. Trying to make sense of it is pretty much pointless.

It's torturous, but you just have to wait, really.
Original post by NeoNerd
Trying to make sense of it is pretty much pointless.

...or possibly the future topic for a 6000 word peer reviewed journal article? Sounds like academia to me!
Reply 77
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
...or possibly the future topic for a 6000 word peer reviewed journal article? Sounds like academia to me!

Heh heh heh!

We were encouraged to write a thesis on why dispositions in Scotland start with "ALL and WHOLE". Academia....
Original post by LHC
I know :biggrin: yeah, I live in Scotland and get then for free so It's the easier option :wink: wow oxford :O? Is that your first choice :smile:? Ah yeah that is far away :P yeah Edinburgh is such a beautiful place, way more beautiful than Glasgow :smile: well, I'm not sure but i was told one of the main reasons was that the universities weren't getting enough money from the Scottish government so because they could get lots of money from English students, they'd choose them over us. So the Scottish government had to introduce a cap which indirectly can help Scottish students in places like Edinburgh where they tend to have more English students than Scottish :P

I guess there's not exactly any point paying 9 grand for something you can get for free, huh? :rolleyes:
Yeah, talk about stressful; last year no one at my school got into Oxbridge so the pressure's on! I don't know if it would be my first choice if it weren't for the whole Oxbridge name being so highly thought of, but if I could get in it would be amazing... :crossedf:
Lol, in England they're saying that Scotland is just going to be more competitive because all the amazing candidates (probably such as yourself :wink:) won't apply to Oxbridge or other UK unis and will all be competing for the Scottish places. Then again everyone seems convinced that Edinburgh is biased against them specifically because they're English/go to private school/go to state school/because their name begins with a 'C'... :tongue:
Reply 79
I guess there's not exactly any point paying 9 grand for something you can get for free, huh? :rolleyes:
Yeah, talk about stressful; last year no one at my school got into Oxbridge so the pressure's on! I don't know if it would be my first choice if it weren't for the whole Oxbridge name being so highly thought of, but if I could get in it would be amazing... :crossedf:
Lol, in England they're saying that Scotland is just going to be more competitive because all the amazing candidates (probably such as yourself :wink:) won't apply to Oxbridge or other UK unis and will all be competing for the Scottish places. Then again everyone seems convinced that Edinburgh is biased against them specifically because they're English/go to private school/go to state school/because their name begins with a 'C'... :tongue:

Yep haha :L i don't fancy the idea of huge amounts of debt when it isn't necessary :P and my parents were like "don't even think about it" :L if it wasn't for the fees, I would have applied to cambridge :smile: I love the place (I'm from there), and would love to go back :smile: wow no one got in :O? We had 9 people apply last year from our school and only one got in :/ yeah you would easily get employed if you went to oxbridge :smile:
haha really :L? No i am not an amazing candidate :wink: my ukcat score is pretty rubbish :P Well, put it this way, 9 applied from my school last year and only 3 are applying this year :L Yeah I know, it's funny the rumours that go around :L at the open day the woman specifically said that you wont be at a disadvantage if you're english or go to a private school :P I have wealthy, snobby relatives in england who we never see and one of my cousins went to a private school, applied for medicine and never got in. She claims it's because she went to a private school but we all secretly know it's because she wasn't good enough :P

Quick Reply

Latest