Reply 82
username: hideousnight
course: english literature

does anyone know when they're gonna start giving offers out? :smile:
Original post by hideousnight
username: hideousnight
course: english literature

does anyone know when they're gonna start giving offers out? :smile:

I think they've already started, but depends on the department. I think I've seen that someone's got an offer in history :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
username: loku
course: mechanical engineering with a year in industry

is there anybody else applying for mech eng?
Reply 85
username: clairegw
course: biology (MSci)

can see some people have already got offers for bio, i haven't even sent my application off! I was planning on doing it before october 15th, even though i'm not an early bird, however that week i was very very ill, and so couldn't do the final tweaks and have a final check before half term :frown: got to wait another week, hopefully doesn't put me at a disadvantage :|
Reply 86
Original post by clairegw
username: clairegw
course: biology (MSci)

can see some people have already got offers for bio, i haven't even sent my application off! I was planning on doing it before october 15th, even though i'm not an early bird, however that week i was very very ill, and so couldn't do the final tweaks and have a final check before half term :frown: got to wait another week, hopefully doesn't put me at a disadvantage :|

Your application will still be in pretty early, dont worry :smile:

I was stressing because I didn't have an offer for Bio MBSci with a year abroad, and for biology they said they'd email you in 10 days, so I emailed them and they told me I'd get a letter inviting me for an interview! :P I didnt even know they interviewed for year abroad! Silly me :P
Reply 87
Original post by Emgrace
Your application will still be in pretty early, dont worry :smile:

I was stressing because I didn't have an offer for Bio MBSci with a year abroad, and for biology they said they'd email you in 10 days, so I emailed them and they told me I'd get a letter inviting me for an interview! :P I didnt even know they interviewed for year abroad! Silly me :P

well, i've emailed another draft to my teachers, would have rather sat down with them and spoken about it but it's the next best thing. It should be send by next wednesday (2nd Nov) latest, maybe even before if my teacher emails me back saying it's fine :smile:

and yeah, i spoke with one of the lecturers about the year abroad on the open day. they told me it was just an informal chat to see whether they thought you were 'suitable' for doing the year abroad thing, as it's apparently slightly harder because of the big change, different course structure etc etc... they told me that if you'd got an interview but they didn't think you were necessarily suitable for the year abroad, you should still get a place on the regular course. idk if it's still the same now, so don't trust me 100% :P haha
Reply 88
well, i've emailed another draft to my teachers, would have rather sat down with them and spoken about it but it's the next best thing. It should be send by next wednesday (2nd Nov) latest, maybe even before if my teacher emails me back saying it's fine :smile:

and yeah, i spoke with one of the lecturers about the year abroad on the open day. they told me it was just an informal chat to see whether they thought you were 'suitable' for doing the year abroad thing, as it's apparently slightly harder because of the big change, different course structure etc etc... they told me that if you'd got an interview but they didn't think you were necessarily suitable for the year abroad, you should still get a place on the regular course. idk if it's still the same now, so don't trust me 100% :P haha

Yep, 2nd of Nov is still quite early to get your application in, so all is good :smile:

Yeh, thats what they said in the email. Just to check we know it'll be hard and not a gap year. So basically if I get an interview Ive got an offer for sheffield, even if it's not the year abroad? :smile: I hope I get one :biggrin:

Are you going for year abroad? :smile:
Just found this thread!

Username: EmilieTheGreat
Course: Biology, MSci AND BSc, and I got offers for both last week...pretty sure I'll take the 4 year though!
Reply 90
Original post by Emgrace
Yep, 2nd of Nov is still quite early to get your application in, so all is good :smile:

Yeh, thats what they said in the email. Just to check we know it'll be hard and not a gap year. So basically if I get an interview Ive got an offer for sheffield, even if it's not the year abroad? :smile: I hope I get one :biggrin:

Are you going for year abroad? :smile:

yeah, i think so (that's what it came across as during my talk with the lecturer haha). And no, I'm not. I don't think I'd cope with one year in the UK, one abroad, then coming back... I'm not very good with huge changes like that haha (gonna be fun when I actually move away from home and start uni :P)
Reply 91
Original post by EmilieTheGreat
Just found this thread!

Username: EmilieTheGreat
Course: Biology, MSci AND BSc, and I got offers for both last week...pretty sure I'll take the 4 year though!

what grades were the offers and what were your predicted grades? (sorry, I'm really nosey but I just wanna know what grades Sheffield might end up asking me for :P)
Reply 92
barney121
Medicine
what grades were the offers and what were your predicted grades? (sorry, I'm really nosey but I just wanna know what grades Sheffield might end up asking me for :P)

Not nosey at all!
MSci is AAA including biology and either physics or Maths.
BSc is AAB (same subjects).
And my predicteds are A*A*A*A (slightly optimistic!) :smile:
Reply 94
Not nosey at all!
MSci is AAA including biology and either physics or Maths.
BSc is AAB (same subjects).
And my predicteds are A*A*A*A (slightly optimistic!) :smile:

I'm predicted 3 A's, hopefully it'll be enough for the BSc... wow for your predictions though! :smile:
Reply 95
yeah, i think so (that's what it came across as during my talk with the lecturer haha). And no, I'm not. I don't think I'd cope with one year in the UK, one abroad, then coming back... I'm not very good with huge changes like that haha (gonna be fun when I actually move away from home and start uni :P)

Hehe, nah I'm literally addicted to travel and visiting new places. I want to travel my whole life. So I'd love to do a year abroad. And I can't wait to move from home for Uni. I think it's exciting.
We're just different :biggrin:
I've applied for Exeter with a year abroad too. But thats 4 year BSc with a 3rd year abroad added in :smile: So awesome too as you can study any biology out there without having to follow a set curricular your Uni needs. As you're still doing the other 3 years at Exeter. :smile:

I'm predicted 3 A's, hopefully it'll be enough for the BSc... wow for your predictions though!

That should defo be enough :smile: Its enough for the MSci! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm predicted 3 A's, hopefully it'll be enough for the BSc... wow for your predictions though! :smile:

Haha thanks, my school went a bit OTT because I'm one of 2 people applying to Oxford :s-smilie:
I'm pretty sure 3As will be fine! Where else have you applied?
Reply 97
Original post by Emgrace
Hehe, nah I'm literally addicted to travel and visiting new places. I want to travel my whole life. So I'd love to do a year abroad. And I can't wait to move from home for Uni. I think it's exciting.
We're just different :biggrin:
I've applied for Exeter with a year abroad too. But thats 4 year BSc with a 3rd year abroad added in :smile: So awesome too as you can study any biology out there without having to follow a set curricular your Uni needs. As you're still doing the other 3 years at Exeter. :smile:

That should defo be enough :smile: Its enough for the MSci! :biggrin:

haha, don't get me wrong, i am SUPER excited about moving away from home, but all of the unis i'm applying are within 3 (maybe 4) hours travelling distance from my home town... i'm really close to my family so i still want to be nearby(ish) - a year in Australia/Canada/USA, I really don't think I'd cope very well! haha.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 98
Haha thanks, my school went a bit OTT because I'm one of 2 people applying to Oxford :s-smilie:
I'm pretty sure 3As will be fine! Where else have you applied?

aaaah, right :smile: Good luck with Oxford!

and I'm also applying to Durham, Bath, Newcastle and Liverpool :smile: what about you?
And my predicteds are A*A*A*A

I hate you :tongue:
Well I'm AAA myself, so I'm a little optimistic for my ABB course :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest