The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Any questions about Leeds feel free to ask!
Reply 81
Original post by 99sal
i am going for BA at Leeds as do not have grade 8 distinction, I heard you can transfer at the end of year 1.

I'm currently on the BMus and yes if you show real progress on the performance aspects as well as an overall high achievement in all aspects you can transfer :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by wren94
Just a tad! When I got the email from track I thought it'd be about a mistake on my application form or something rather than an offer :L

That's a really hard question; probably Bristol. I mean I adore Cambridge, but it's not a realistic option to be honest and I got a brilliant vibe from Bristol :L Then York and Cardiff and then Surrey, just because I haven't visited Surrey and don't know an awful lot about it. :smile: What about you?

I think Cardiff officially state AAB-BBB with the average offer being ABB. I would've thought you'd be fine with those grades if you've got/are working towards grade 8? But I'm afraid I don't really know >.< have you tried emailing the Universities?

Congratulations for your offer from york, it was the first Uni to give me an offer and it was my favourite out of all those i applied to, and now i'm here! :biggrin:

If you have any questions about the course or city or university, i'll try my bestbto answer them (or find someone who's been here longer than i have who can answer it for you! :yep: )
Original post by wren94
I just got an offer from Surrey ^.^ gah! 3 more to go...

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Soooo happy....was your offer ABB with an A in Music. So relieved!! :smile:
Application has been processed, already got an email from Surrey saying they've received it, fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by KKKKatie
Any questions about Leeds feel free to ask!

Yes!

What is the course like? Why did you choose that University instead of various other musical conservatoire and schools such as;

TMS, ACM, The Institute, LCM ect.
Reply 86
Original post by Fleet Foxes
Yes!

What is the course like? Why did you choose that University instead of various other musical conservatoire and schools such as;

TMS, ACM, The Institute, LCM ect.

So far I love the course, I'm on the BMus which is more performanced based than the BA and you get a year abroad which is great! I auditioned for a few conservatoires, got an offer from trinity and reserve list for rncm but decided I'd rather get a solid segree from a good uni just in case performing doesn't work out.
Awesome, I really need to look into that course! Originally I was like, what if there isn't enough performance because I haven't heard of many session musicians coming from there.
I'm going to look into it, what is a typical week on your course? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks! Also which year are you currently in?
Also wow Trinity and RNCM! Unfortunately I play bass guitar and unless I study jazz alone, I can't apply to either :frown:

Do you have an interview for the course? If you have Grade 8 Distinction?
Reply 88
Original post by Nesselphie
Congratulations for your offer from york, it was the first Uni to give me an offer and it was my favourite out of all those i applied to, and now i'm here! :biggrin:

If you have any questions about the course or city or university, i'll try my bestbto answer them (or find someone who's been here longer than i have who can answer it for you! :yep: )

Thank you very much!! I'll probably be taking you up on that offer :P was there a post-offer music open day last year? I hope there's one this year! :smile:

Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Soooo happy....was your offer ABB with an A in Music. So relieved!! :smile:

CONGRATULATIONS! SAME HERE! :biggrin: WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Reply 89
Original post by wren94
Thank you very much!! I'll probably be taking you up on that offer :P was there a post-offer music open day last year? I hope there's one this year! :smile:

QUOTE]

haha, that's fine! :smile: It's definitely worth coming to York, i love it! :biggrin:

Well, i think there were post-offer open days. I know people who got offers without interview and I had an interview, with an open day tour included in the day....

You will probably be invited to the department, but i have no idea when :colondollar:
Original post by wren94

CONGRATULATIONS! SAME HERE! :biggrin: WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yayy!!! Really pleased for you :smile: Got an email from CUKAS the next day saying my audition for RWCMD had been put on there. Has been a frantic couple of days!
I'm only one of two people in my year to get an offer (or even a change) on UCAS so far :P

Hope Surrey hold a post-offer thing...I thought they might do invites to the Uni then an offer - my friend had that last year, although he applied for civil engineering so it could be different dept's doing it differently.
Reply 91
Original post by Nesselphie
haha, that's fine! :smile: It's definitely worth coming to York, i love it! :biggrin:

Well, i think there were post-offer open days. I know people who got offers without interview and I had an interview, with an open day tour included in the day....

You will probably be invited to the department, but i have no idea when :colondollar:

I didn't have an interview, just an offer :frown: I hope I do get to come up and visit; I was really miffed I couldn't make it to an open day!! :biggrin:
Reply 92
Yayy!!! Really pleased for you :smile: Got an email from CUKAS the next day saying my audition for RWCMD had been put on there. Has been a frantic couple of days!
I'm only one of two people in my year to get an offer (or even a change) on UCAS so far :P

Hope Surrey hold a post-offer thing...I thought they might do invites to the Uni then an offer - my friend had that last year, although he applied for civil engineering so it could be different dept's doing it differently.

DOUBLE CONGRATULATIONS!! That's amazing ^.^ you much be so happy; I'm happy for you!! :L
I was the first in my form and any of my classes to get an offer (or two :wink: ), might've been the whole college, but not sure because it's a big place :P
I hope they do that too! I didn't get to an Open Day for Surrey either so it'd be great to look around and to meet other people who might be on the course too :biggrin:
Reply 93
Anyone else going to Cardiff on November 22nd? :/
Original post by wren94
Anyone else going to Cardiff on November 22nd? :/

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Got a letter in the post today :smile: Not really looking forward to the written test though :L
This means going to Cardiff twice in one week...Royal Welsh audition on the 17th, Cardiff interview on the 22nd :P

What instrument do you play btw?? :smile:
Reply 95
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Got a letter in the post today :smile: Not really looking forward to the written test though :L
This means going to Cardiff twice in one week...Royal Welsh audition on the 17th, Cardiff interview on the 22nd :P

What instrument do you play btw?? :smile:

:O I shall see you then!! I'm dreading it all :L Although I'm looking forward to the written exam more than recital because I'm a music theory girl rather than performance; could go horribly wrong though :P I play flute, what about you? :smile: At least you aren't too far from Cardiff? :L :smile:
Hi I've applied to the following:

Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge (acknowledged)
Edinburgh
Durham (acknowledged)
Bristol (acknowledged)
Manchester (acknowledged)

Does anyone have any idea as to when I should hear word back regarding an interview or an offer. Also I still haven't received any word from Edinburgh yet and my application was sent on 14/10/11 so I'm starting to worry. Please help!
Reply 97
Original post by bigflutetop

Edinburgh
Durham (acknowledged)
Bristol (acknowledged)

Does anyone have any idea as to when I should hear word back regarding an interview or an offer. Also I still haven't received any word from Edinburgh yet and my application was sent on 14/10/11 so I'm starting to worry. Please help!

I haven't had any acknowledgement from Pembroke, Cambridge specifically :frown: not looking hopeful for me; ah well, I gave it a go! :smile: I don't think any of those places are making offers yet, and I think I've heard that Edinburgh don't actually send acknowledgements. Not 100% on that though :smile:
Original post by bigflutetop

Edinburgh
Durham (acknowledged)
Bristol (acknowledged)

Hiya :smile:
Don't worry if you haven't had an acknowledgement from one (or more of your Unis) - that goes for you too Wren94!! :P
I got told by my head of sixth form that not all uni's send acknowledgements - I haven't heard anything from Bath Spa or Royal College of Music :frown:

If you're worried, give the head of music an email?? Every head of department / admissions tutor I've emailed has been really helpful. :smile:

Original post by wren94
I haven't had any acknowledgement from Pembroke, Cambridge specifically :frown: not looking hopeful for me; ah well, I gave it a go! :smile: I don't think any of those places are making offers yet, and I think I've heard that Edinburgh don't actually send acknowledgements. Not 100% on that though :smile:

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! I'm sure you'll get an interview at least :smile: They're probably just wading through everyone

Original post by wren94
:O I shall see you then!! I'm dreading it all :L Although I'm looking forward to the written exam more than recital because I'm a music theory girl rather than performance; could go horribly wrong though :P I play flute, what about you? :smile: At least you aren't too far from Cardiff? :L :smile:

Yup, will certainly see you then :smile: I'm kinda the opposite - more performance than theory, hence why I've applied to music college as well :smile: I'm a clarinet player (classical stuff mostly) at heart, but play sax too so I can play JAZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! :P

Yeh, should only take me about an hour to get to Cardiff - thank god for the Severn Bridge! How long is it likely to take from Dorset?? You got any ideas for preparation for the exam thing?? I'm thinking listening to some bits of random music and trying to write about their features form, style, harmony, instrumentation, composers influences etc. What do you think?? :smile:
Reply 99
DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! I'm sure you'll get an interview at least :smile: They're probably just wading through everyone

Yup, will certainly see you then :smile: I'm kinda the opposite - more performance than theory, hence why I've applied to music college as well :smile: I'm a clarinet player (classical stuff mostly) at heart, but play sax too so I can play JAZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! :P

Yeh, should only take me about an hour to get to Cardiff - thank god for the Severn Bridge! How long is it likely to take from Dorset?? You got any ideas for preparation for the exam thing?? I'm thinking listening to some bits of random music and trying to write about their features form, style, harmony, instrumentation, composers influences etc. What do you think?? :smile:

Aww it'd be nice <3 my music teacher thinks I'd do well at interview, so we'll see!! :smile:
I love music theory and history <3 haha and niiiiicceeee! Which are you putting down as your first study? Bit miffed it's unaccompanied >.<

here's the issue. I could get the train that'd take 4 hours and I'd have to leave at 6am and change trains, so if there were delays I'd be scuppered. To get there any earlier by train it'd take 9 hours and I'd have to leave here at 10pm the night before so Dad's looking to get time off and we'll drive which'd take 3-4 hours ish :smile:
I was going to do that too and look thorough some old theory stuff! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest