The Student Room Group

Lancaster Medicine Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

but then if you check Lancaster's site http://www.lancs.ac.uk/shm/med/cme/medicine_mbchb/

It does say
At present only home/EU students are eligible to apply for the medical degree programme at Lancaster. Applicants who are classified as overseas are not eligible

I am not trying to worry you or anything but I just think you should call them and ask about it and see if there is any way round it.
Reply 61
Thanks for your help, the information from both sites are so misleading, now I've just screwed up one choice :frown:
Original post by lizzy999
Thanks for your help, the information from both sites are so misleading, now I've just screwed up one choice :frown:

OMG, I feel so bad for letting you know about it.

Did you call Lancaster?! You really should! If they say that they can't accept you then ask to be put into another course at the uni for something that is not med so that you don't just waste a choice.

Best of luck!
Reply 63
Original post by areyousure?
OMG, I feel so bad for letting you know about it.

Did you call Lancaster?! You really should! If they say that they can't accept you then ask to be put into another course at the uni for something that is not med so that you don't just waste a choice.

Best of luck!

Don't feel bad, it was my fault for not checking clearly :smile: I still have three choices left for medicine : Bristol, Birmingham and Liverpool. But I just have a general question, why does Lancaster only have 50 spots, whereas others would have like 200..?
Reply 64
Don't feel bad, it was my fault for not checking clearly :smile: I still have three choices left for medicine : Bristol, Birmingham and Liverpool. But I just have a general question, why does Lancaster only have 50 spots, whereas others would have like 200..?

aw sorry :frown:. All of oyur choises will love you! :biggrin: So I am sure you'll get lots and lots of offers :smile:

From what I understand it is because they don't actually run the course as such. Like regularly you watch lectures live from Liverpool or something like that, so then I guess if there were more places and the teaching is like this it will be very difficult for students to do well.

Other than that I don't see any other reason why they only have 50 places, unless its to do with being a new med school built just to provide more doctors at a time where the numbers were running low..

As I said, do call them and talk about it. Ask to be put for something else.
Reply 66
From what I understand it is because they don't actually run the course as such. Like regularly you watch lectures live from Liverpool or something like that, so then I guess if there were more places and the teaching is like this it will be very difficult for students to do well.

Other than that I don't see any other reason why they only have 50 places, unless its to do with being a new med school built just to provide more doctors at a time where the numbers were running low..

As I said, do call them and talk about it. Ask to be put for something else.

Thanks :smile: I will wake up at 5:00 am to ask them about it :wink:. It's a five hour difference from Canada!
Thanks :smile: I will wake up at 5:00 am to ask them about it :wink:. It's a five hour difference from Canada!

yeah, but Canada is awesome :P so its okayy!! I applied to UofT last year :P

are you actually calling them then?
Reply 68
yeah, but Canada is awesome :P so its okayy!! I applied to UofT last year :P

are you actually calling them then?

Yepp I called them, they told me to ask my referee to send a letter to UCAS regarding my situation :rolleyes: I hope all goes well. Is it generally extremely competitive in the UK when applying for med schools? I was looking at the amount of med schools in the UK .... And it was 22! We only have 9 or 10 in Canada :frown: and you would have to finish an undergrad degree in order to even attempt to apply to med school :frown:
Yepp I called them, they told me to ask my referee to send a letter to UCAS regarding my situation :rolleyes: I hope all goes well. Is it generally extremely competitive in the UK when applying for med schools? I was looking at the amount of med schools in the UK .... And it was 22! We only have 9 or 10 in Canada :frown: and you would have to finish an undergrad degree in order to even attempt to apply to med school :frown:

Yes it is VERY competitive in the UK. According to some stats that I can't really quote only 40% of all applicants get in or something like that..

Are you also applying to unis in your country for an Undergrad?
Reply 70
Yes it is VERY competitive in the UK. According to some stats that I can't really quote only 40% of all applicants get in or something like that..

Are you also applying to unis in your country for an Undergrad?

Lol I am already in my first year at u of t studying life sciences :smile: I was late in applying last year, so I applied this year :biggrin: that's still good 40% ?... Getting into med school in Canada is like trying to win the lottery :rolleyes:
Lol I am already in my first year at u of t studying life sciences :smile: I was late in applying last year, so I applied this year :biggrin: that's still good 40% ?... Getting into med school in Canada is like trying to win the lottery :rolleyes:

Oh! you go to UofT ! how cool :biggrin:
Well that 40 % was good enough for me last year, I just didn't get the grades they asked for!
Reply 72
Oh! you go to UofT ! how cool :biggrin:
Well that 40 % was good enough for me last year, I just didn't get the grades they asked for!

No worries! This time, we will definitely ace it :smile:
Reply 73
Lancaster is an amazing city. I went there yesterday and WOAH. Nightlife is meh but it's not too bad! :biggrin:
Original post by Doctor.
Lancaster is an amazing city. I went there yesterday and WOAH. Nightlife is meh but it's not too bad! :biggrin:

I agree on that!! I thought it was small but its very nice!
Reply 75
I agree on that!! I thought it was small but its very nice!

I'm just glad I know people who go there :smile:. So I won't be a loner :frown:
Original post by Doctor.
I'm just glad I know people who go there :smile:. So I won't be a loner :frown:

Well, you can always meet new people so knowing someone there already is not essential!
Anyone know when Lancaster start notifying us of Interviews/Offers/Rejections? The waiting is KILLING me. :/
Original post by BlackThought
Anyone know when Lancaster start notifying us of Interviews/Offers/Rejections? The waiting is KILLING me. :/

around December time I think... because they interview in January.
Reply 79
around December time I think... because they interview in January.

December is comming up fast lol :O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending