The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by alexsheppard11
Who uses system restore anyway?
It very rarely works, and if you have that much of a problem with windows just do a clean install :p:

It was kinda a last resort. Think of it as running 'Super Duper Corrupted Word File Recovery Pro' on that vital 20 page document that decided that the night before the deadline is a great time to mangle itself. You don't really hold any hope but you've tried almost everything else.
Original post by Dez
Was thinking of replacing my sig actually. Think it's time for a re-brand. :p:

:beard:
Reply 41
Not sure if any of you guys will be able to help me with this, but I'll try before making a thread :smile:

I bought the Oblivion soundtrack from DirectSong, and when I try and download it it freezes roughly halfway and refuses to download further. This keeps happening on both Firefox and Chrome. It is not happening with all downloads, as I checked by updating a program I needed to update.

If it helps I am on a university resnet wired connection.

Thanks in advance if you know what the problem is :smile:

edit - also to clarify, it doesn't stop at the same point each time, it has ranged from 29% to 60 something and just about everywhere in between!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by tface
Not sure if any of you guys will be able to help me with this, but I'll try before making a thread :smile:

I bought the Oblivion soundtrack from DirectSong, and when I try and download it it freezes roughly halfway and refuses to download further. This keeps happening on both Firefox and Chrome. It is not happening with all downloads, as I checked by updating a program I needed to update.

If it helps I am on a university resnet wired connection.

Thanks in advance if you know what the problem is :smile:

edit - also to clarify, it doesn't stop at the same point each time, it has ranged from 29% to 60 something and just about everywhere in between!

Proxy settings perhaps? Your uni may require a proxy, normally it would auto-detect but it's possible it could get forgetful if it's trying to download loads of data at the same time.

You could try using a download manager like DownThemAll as well, as they can resume failed downloads. Not a solution as such, but a handy workaround. :p:
Dez
x

Are you remaining "Dez"? :hmmm:

I second Chrosson's sentiment about needing a cool usertitle.
Reply 44
Original post by secretmessages
Are you remaining "Dez"? :hmmm:

I second Chrosson's sentiment about needing a cool usertitle.

I'm still umming and ahhing about what name to use, although the Admin CP warns about refreshing indexes or something when changing a name, so I'm gonna ask CJ about that before I accidentally break something. :p:

Am open to suggestions for awesome usertitles btw. :awesome:
Mac made a weird tone on boot after an update, sounded a bit like a fire alarm, lasted for about five seconds. Anyone know what that might mean? :unsure:
Reply 46
Mac made a weird tone on boot after an update, sounded a bit like a fire alarm, lasted for about five seconds. Anyone know what that might mean? :unsure:

Some of the older MacBooks I've used would make a low, solid tone when doing an EFI update. Could be that possibly? Did you install any updates recently?

Original post by Dez
Some of the older MacBooks I've used would make a low, solid tone when doing an EFI update. Could be that possibly? Did you install any updates recently?

Yep. I don't know what EFI is, but I think that was the name of the update...
Reply 48
Yep. I don't know what EFI is, but I think that was the name of the update...

EFI :fyi:

Basically it's a replacement for the old BIOS system (eek, tautology!) that aims to be more useful and intelligent. On Macs it's the screen with just the logo on it, supports full graphics and you can use the mouse to pick boot devices (hit the option key). :smile:

Original post by Dez
EFI :fyi:

Basically it's a replacement for the old BIOS system (eek, tautology!) that aims to be more useful and intelligent. On Macs it's the screen with just the logo on it, supports full graphics and you can use the mouse to pick boot devices (hit the option key). :smile:

I've used the boot devices thing when I want to boot into Windows :yep: (Windows on this Mac = :coma:, Windows Experience Index = :coma:). I read a low tone might mean memory problems, but it only did it once and it sounds like what you're describing so I won't worry.
Anybody know where I could buy a Nokia N9 in the UK? I was planning to pick one up when I went to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks, but just found out that the Netherlands is another country being denied this lovely thing :\
Reply 51
The UK isnt getting it either I dont think
Original post by Kenny_uk

The UK isnt getting it either I dont think

I know, I was just hoping there would be a company importing them. I'll have to keep an eye on Amazon methinks =P
Reply 53
Mhmm you'll get hammered on import tax though. I have to admit I quite like the N9 design, let us know if you get it!

Mhmm you'll get hammered on import tax though. I have to admit I quite like the N9 design, let us know if you get it!

Haha will do, my girlfriend's flying off to Spain today so I'm preparing to wire over a large quantity of Euros if it's available there (I've found conflicting reports), which my overdraft definitely won't like!
Reply 55
I do believe it is availalbe in spain. I'm quite annoyed that it's available here though.. how much is it though?

I do believe it is availalbe in spain. I'm quite annoyed that it's available here though.. how much is it though?

Do you mean that it's unavailable here? Me too, I wants it :\

RRP is apparently €480 after tax, which works out at just short of £420 at the moment.
Original post by mikeyd85

As hilarious as that would be, it would probably be a great way to end a relationship that's only been going for a couple of weeks XD plus I wants meego =P
Guys I'm doing a sponsored walk at uni. Would people sponsor me? http://www.justgiving.com/chrisbramm/