The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

@Ollyjg - we normally aim to get an answer to you within 4 weeks of us receiving your application. Yes we can arrange a tour for you when you visit, are you able to email [email protected] so that we can arrange it via email?
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 41
Original post by Erich Hartmann
Unless you are from Wales or you're going to pursue inter-pol or one of their very niche courses, Aber isn't worth the 9k in fees.

That is a load of crap!

For one thing: The financial support package that they offer is great!
Original post by Atrozius Faatz
Applying for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics here. Aber offers an amazing course compared to my other choices and for that reason (and a few others :wink:) it's going to be my firm if I get an offer. Look forward to seeing some of you there perhaps :smile:.

Good choice, the Uni is known for Robotics and AI, so those bits of the course are taught well, but the rest cannot be said for the rest of the department I'm afraid, some of it is very poorly taught/assessed.

Original post by Agent Smirnoff
That is a load of crap!

They don't offer much financial support, especially compared to other unis.
Reply 43
For 2011 freshers the financial package was only good if you got a scholarship as unlike most Unis they suddenly withdrew their means tested Bursary, leaving many up to a grand worse off a year than they expected. However, for 2012 applicants it's back.
Reply 44
Heard good things about Aberystwyth. Thinking of applying for international history and international politics. The entry requirements are in points (300 from memory) does this need to be achieved from 3 a-levels or can it include AS-Levels as well?
I'm pretty sure that Aberystwyth accept AS Levels in their UCAS points requirments.
@Reviloc

A-level UCAS tariff table:

Full A-level:
A= 120
B= 100
C=80
D=60
E=40

AS Levels are worth half:
A= 60
B= 50
C=40
D=30
E=20

If you took 4 AS levels and carried 3 of them on to A level, your results would be made up of all three full a-levels and then the 1 AS level that you didn't carry on.
Reply 47
Applied. :smile: Got an acknowledgement through too. Just waiting to hear back from them now! I went and stayed at the uni for a week last July for a field work course for Biology A-level and I really liked it, we had a really good time. Fingers crossed now! I really want to get in!
Reply 48
Had an offer for French and Spanish yesterday :biggrin:
Reply 49
Anyone applying for environmental earth science? ive applied and got an acknowledgement but the waiting is so annoying lol
That is a load of crap!

List them please.

Let's see just how "great" this packages are.
Reply 51
Original post by The-Wi$e-One

They don't offer much financial support, especially compared to other unis.

Really? I thought it was good. I did calculations and if I were to recieve the: Entrance Scolarship, Sports Bursary, Excellence Bursary, Aberystwyth Bursary and Residential Bursary .... I could get £3,300 for my First Year or £8,300 worth of support over my three year course at Aberystwyth and that is in addition to: Maitenance Loan/Grant , Parental Contributions and Part time jobs/work that I do :smile:

What other unis can offer better , out of interest, Although it is worth saying that I do not base my choices upon a financial basis however. :smile:
Reply 52
List them please.

Let's see just how "great" this packages are.

See my above post and look here:

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/scholarships/
Really? I thought it was good. I did calculations and if I were to recieve the: Entrance Scolarship, Sports Bursary, Excellence Bursary, Aberystwyth Bursary and Residential Bursary .... I could get £3,300 for my First Year or £8,300 worth of support over my three year course at Aberystwyth and that is in addition to: Maitenance Loan/Grant , Parental Contributions and Part time jobs/work that I do :smile:

What other unis can offer better , out of interest, Although it is worth saying that I do not base my choices upon a financial basis however. :smile:

Tried finding a job in Aber yet? :smile:

Actually have you ever even been to Aberystwyth before? :biggrin:
Reply 54
Tried finding a job in Aber yet? :smile:

Actually have you ever even been to Aberystwyth before? :biggrin:

Oh I get you now. :biggrin:

:colondollar: I have not done so yet unfortunately. I actually don't look forward to neither come to think of it. Probably by then I will take the Freelance Writing thing further and get some more money but I am not holding out for that as of yet. :erm:

I guess Ceredigion is one of the worst places for jobs.

Nope. never been there. :no:
Oh I get you now. :biggrin:

:colondollar: I have not done so yet unfortunately. I actually don't look forward to neither come to think of it. Probably by then I will take the Freelance Writing thing further and get some more money but I am not holding out for that as of yet. :erm:

I guess Ceredigion is one of the worst places for jobs.

Nope. never been there. :no:

Go visit.. :biggrin:
Reply 56
^Definitely visit.
It's not that hard to find a job though. I have a friend with three part-time jobs. Although I suppose maybe he's stealing work opportunities from other people.:colonhash:
Reply 57
Anyone had an offers through for 'history' related courses?
Original post by A123W
Thread for everyone that will be considering applying to Aberystwyth for 2012 entry.

I'm hoping to go and study physics :smile: .

Hey! I'm applying for robotics and space science, nice to see someone applying to the same department :smile: I went there for work experience, they're really friendly and the research stuff is certifiably awesome :biggrin:
Got an offer for International Politics and Intelligence Studies! Only BBB but it is my first offer so it was nice to get one. Anyone else doing the entrance exams?

Quick Reply

Latest