The Student Room Group

Clinical Sciences Interview at Bradford Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oggz
I'm doing the course.

hey i wanted to askk... is it true that a majority of clincal science students all want to transfer into med?
Reply 21
Original post by Dr dolittlee
hey i wanted to askk... is it true that a majority of clincal science students all want to transfer into med?

Yes. I haven't met anyone who hasn't said they want to study Medicine.
Reply 22
Original post by sortedguy
how was the interview? how long was the interview? and do they ask questions on topics such as euthanasia?

The interview was good... About 10-15 minutues.. They didn't ask me that but it depends on what is in your PS and how the conversation goes
Reply 23
Original post by Oggz
Yes. I haven't met anyone who hasn't said they want to study Medicine.

It's true that most people want to apply for Medicine, and understandably so. But frankly I don't believe for a minute that you haven't met anyone who wants to apply for Pharmacy or Optometry. There are some students who don't have any interest in Medicine, while others might decide to defer their application to Year 1 of Clinical Science. Give it some time and you'll have a better idea. :smile:
Reply 24
i am also interested in knowing that. and same i got my letter on thursday! how are you preparing?!

well ive double spaced my ps and printed it out and going through any questions they couls ask my on what i've said and writing them down :smile:

also looked at nhs structure but ive been told all ill be asked about is my ps.

what about you?

i wasnt expecting anything so soon!
has anyone got an interview for their foundation year? :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by asif007
It's true that most people want to apply for Medicine, and understandably so. But frankly I don't believe for a minute that you haven't met anyone who wants to apply for Pharmacy or Optometry. There are some students who don't have any interest in Medicine, while others might decide to defer their application to Year 1 of Clinical Science. Give it some time and you'll have a better idea. :smile:

Umm I have had time seeing as I've been here ~ 6 weeks. I met someone wanting to transfer to Pharmacy but were doing a foundation year in Chemistry.
Reply 27
Original post by Oggz
Umm I have had time seeing as I've been here ~ 6 weeks. I met someone wanting to transfer to Pharmacy but were doing a foundation year in Chemistry.

Being patient can only benefit you. :smile: You've still got another 7-8 months to complete, in which time other students' situations can change. Some people can be put off by all the competition for Medicine (choosing to apply for something else or give up completely), and others unfortunately don't get the grades. Some students also choose not to work hard in Foundation Year and leave their applications until Year 1 of Clinical Science - these are all based on examples of people I know. You won't know for certain how many people are applying for Medicine until you actually send off your forms, but in the meantime you should only concern yourself with your own performance and not the competition. :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by asif007
Being patient can only benefit you. :smile: You've still got another 7-8 months to complete, in which time other students' situations can change. Some people can be put off by all the competition for Medicine (choosing to apply for something else or give up completely), and others unfortunately don't get the grades. Some students also choose not to work hard in Foundation Year and leave their applications until Year 1 of Clinical Science - these are all based on examples of people I know. You won't know for certain how many people are applying for Medicine until you actually send off your forms, but in the meantime you should only concern yourself with your own performance and not the competition. :smile:

Thats some gd advice there. I'm was thinking of putting Bradford foundation yr as my 5th choice for 2013 entry. So many people know it by now, that I'm not so sure about it anymore..

But if the figures for students applying to year 1 Leeds medicine in 2012 increase at an exponential rate, I will have to give some thought into this..
Reply 29
Original post by Giggy88
Thats some gd advice there. I'm was thinking of putting Bradford foundation yr as my 5th choice for 2013 entry. So many people know it by now, that I'm not so sure about it anymore..

But if the figures for students applying to year 1 Leeds medicine in 2012 increase at an exponential rate, I will have to give some thought into this..

It's true that the competition will continue to increase every year but until we have a better idea of the number of people applying for 2012 entry, I wouldn't rule out the Foundation Year. It is one of the best options available to students who wouldn't be able to achieve a place in Medicine through UCAS. Theoretically if every student on the Foundation Year were to apply for Medicine in Leeds (this would never happen but just imagine the situation..) then there would still be less competition for places than via UCAS. Last year 120 students started on Foundation Year so if every one of those students applied for the 20 available places, that's a 6:1 applicant to place ratio. Compare that to >3000 applications for ~200 places that Leeds received for Medicine through UCAS and you'll understand what I mean.

As for the competition in Foundation Year, this year's cycle (i.e. 2011 entry) was the first in which more students applied for Medicine than there were places available. Before that (for 2010 entry) I think it was ~20 students who applied, of which 15 were interviewed and 13 offered places. It changes every year so there's no reason for you to think you won't get a place. If you maintain faith in yourself and stay optimistic, you will succeed. :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by kimi93
well ive double spaced my ps and printed it out and going through any questions they couls ask my on what i've said and writing them down :smile:

also looked at nhs structure but ive been told all ill be asked about is my ps.

what about you?

i wasnt expecting anything so soon!

sorry for the late reply! i did the exact same preparation as you! how did you find the interview? and what time was your interview?
Reply 31
hi, i recieved a letter yesterday from bradford university stating i have an interview on wed 4th november. i realy need help on how to prepare for this interview?!

Hey, just wondering how you found the interview? I have mine next wednesday so any advice would be brill :redface:
Reply 32
Does anyone have any ideas for the potential question about disadvantaged people who find it difficult to access healthcare? I'm finding it difficult to find anything on this! I've got a lot of articles relating to children and also how they could be affected by the new NHS reforms but not sure that fits into the category.
Reply 33
sorry for the late reply! i did the exact same preparation as you! how did you find the interview? and what time was your interview?

i found it really hard, as i only has a few days to prepare as i was on holiday when i recieved the letter to confirm i had an interview. i had the choice to rearrange the date but with all the school work i have i didnt have the time to rearrange it. besides the point lol........... learn your personal statement inside out and try and find questions you think the interviewes will pick out. also they will ask you to talk about a topic you`ve enjoyed studying in chemistry/biology, but apart from that question most likely turning up im afraid you have to just preare the best you can to try and cover all questions that can likely be asked from your personal statement :smile:
hi, i recieved a letter yesterday from bradford university stating i have an interview on wed 4th november. i realy need help on how to prepare for this interview?!

sorry to ask but when did you apply?
Reply 35
Wednesday 4th November doesn't exist this year :confused:
Original post by Oggz
Wednesday 4th November doesn't exist this year :confused:

na i think he mean't 3rd as he stated about that he had already done his interview yesterday so he is helping people now.
Reply 37

Hi
Could I ask when you applied? (Sent UCAS off I mean?)
Also, what's your grades like?
Thanks
Reply 38
Original post by asif007
It's true that the competition will continue to increase every year but until we have a better idea of the number of people applying for 2012 entry, I wouldn't rule out the Foundation Year. It is one of the best options available to students who wouldn't be able to achieve a place in Medicine through UCAS. Theoretically if every student on the Foundation Year were to apply for Medicine in Leeds (this would never happen but just imagine the situation..) then there would still be less competition for places than via UCAS. Last year 120 students started on Foundation Year so if every one of those students applied for the 20 available places, that's a 6:1 applicant to place ratio. Compare that to >3000 applications for ~200 places that Leeds received for Medicine through UCAS and you'll understand what I mean.

As for the competition in Foundation Year, this year's cycle (i.e. 2011 entry) was the first in which more students applied for Medicine than there were places available. Before that (for 2010 entry) I think it was ~20 students who applied, of which 15 were interviewed and 13 offered places. It changes every year so there's no reason for you to think you won't get a place. If you maintain faith in yourself and stay optimistic, you will succeed. :smile:

Hi,

Just finished my PS for the foundation year!
I'm only applying to this course :s-smilie: with grades B in Psychology, C in Maths and B in Chemistry AS
My chances are so slim and I'm so afraid of not gaining a place :/
Any advice?
I know people are getting places for the year 1 clinical science course but is this the case for the foundation year too? Do you reckon with the increased tuition fees there will be more/less competition this year?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by kurdishboy94
sorry to ask but when did you apply?

october 5th i sent my ucas off, ucas submitted applications to universities on 7th october

Quick Reply