The Student Room Group

Dropping 2 AS levels and then taking up a whole A level?

Dropping 2 AS levels in second year and taking up a whole A level?

Has anyone ever done this before? To study music in university, I have to have a whole A level in music. I don't study music A level at the moment, but would it be possible next year to drop 2 AS levels and then take up AS and A2 music?

That way, I'd have 5 AS levels, and 3 A2s, only I've obtained them in a slightly more different way.

Please share your thoughts :smile:
Reply 1
If you can handle doing a full A level in one year, go for it.
Socrates
If you can handle doing a full A level in one year, go for it.

:ditto: If you think you could do it, go for it! :top: :biggrin:
Reply 3
Go 'ead luv!
Reply 4
Technically I'm doing it in normal time, because by then I'd have dropped 2 ASs instead of 1 AS. Can anybody who knows about this give me any insight?

:confused:
Reply 5
Are you sure you want to do music? You obv didn't take it up straight away when you could've done, so what were your reasons?

As long as you've got 3 A Levels and another AS then it won't matter. But you might find it hard doing it all in one year. Make sure you discuss it with your teachers and research the syllabus.
Reply 6
I won't be doing it in a year technically...

The reason why I didn't take it was because I didn't like the exam board (OCR) and I had other plans back then.
Reply 7
Well, would you still be not liking the exam board?
Reply 8
I was thinking of taking it up in a local college in the evenings to do the A level.
e3s3p3e3
I was thinking of taking it up in a local college in the evenings to do the A level.

Would your school be happy for you to do that, considering you'd then only be doing 2 A2s with them? If so, I don't see why you couldn't do it, although it would be difficult, especially as there's so much practical work involved. Also, the A2 usually follows on from the AS, so unless you did the AS in January and the A2 in June, it might be tricky trying to do both at the same time.
Reply 10
hi!
i'm in same position as you however i want to study geography at uni and didnt take it for AS level because there was a timetable clash between my 2 favourite subjects, French and Geography! After 1 term i'm really regretting taking French but its too late to change subjects! However i have found a college where i can do an intensive A level in 1 year! :-) ! this means that i'll drop one AS level (leaving 3) and take up 1 A level so i should leave school with 4 A levels and 1 AS (and an A level in general Studies).
I've got a meeting with my head of sixth form in January and hopefully all will run smoothly!!!
Good Luck with everything e3s3p3e3
Reply 11
kellywood_5
Would your school be happy for you to do that, considering you'd then only be doing 2 A2s with them? If so, I don't see why you couldn't do it, although it would be difficult, especially as there's so much practical work involved. Also, the A2 usually follows on from the AS, so unless you did the AS in January and the A2 in June, it might be tricky trying to do both at the same time.

I could do Music with the school if I just tried my hardest with OCR. Part of the reason I didn't choose music first was because I thought A level music wouldn't be that important because I did music outside of school so I wouldn't need it, but now I realise I might want to do it at uni too.
OK this way, the school wouldn't mind (if I did music at school...) The practical work won't be a problem I think... One module is performing, and I think that wouldn't be too bad considering I can just practice a grade piece for then. The composition module won't be too bad either, since I enjoy it and it won't seem like a lot of work.
I'm just worried that the timetable won't work out the way I hope, and then I'll probably have to get an evening class.

Thanks for your replies, good luck KymmyC, and any other advice welcomed :smile:
e3s3p3e3
I could do Music with the school if I just tried my hardest with OCR. Part of the reason I didn't choose music first was because I thought A level music wouldn't be that important because I did music outside of school so I wouldn't need it, but now I realise I might want to do it at uni too.
OK this way, the school wouldn't mind (if I did music at school...) The practical work won't be a problem I think... One module is performing, and I think that wouldn't be too bad considering I can just practice a grade piece for then. The composition module won't be too bad either, since I enjoy it and it won't seem like a lot of work.
I'm just worried that the timetable won't work out the way I hope, and then I'll probably have to get an evening class.

Thanks for your replies, good luck KymmyC, and any other advice welcomed :smile:

So long as you're good at music it shouldn't be too bad (as, I assume, most of the exam is about your ability to perform/compose?) but for the other stuff I would say start early on your own (ie... now) to get a head start.

Latest