The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Setting Up My PS3 Online On Campus

Hi all,

Any help with the following would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Am currently trying to hook my PS3 up to the internet from my campus accommodation. I plug the ethernet cable in and 'test the connection' - it says that it successfully obtained an IP address and connection to the internet was also successful but then it fails to connect to the PlayStation Network.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Thanks for any help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
create a psn account :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 3
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we can get onto the PSN.

I haven't had a proper go, maybe somebody who is particularly good with these things could find a way... but it seems like we have to just wait for the Uni to sort it (if possible).
Reply 4
Out of interest, how have you managed to connect to the internet (so that you can use the browser)?

If I enter my Username and Password in the manual set-up, then it can't find the IP address. If I enter the IP address etc... manually (means I can't enter my username/password) then it finds the IP address but doesn't get an internet connection.
Reply 5
You don't need any setting up to use the browser. Just plug the ethernet cable in and click on the browser and it should work
Reply 6
I've been trying to set up my PC as a router then connecting the PS3 to my PC. No luck so far.
Reply 7
It worked before the PSN went down back in April. Then Sony fixed it, changed the way it connects, and it's not worked since.

Basically, the PS3 accepts the proxy but I don't think PSN is connecting through the proxy anymore. Or something like that. ISS can't change the way a PlayStation connects...
Reply 8
Wired connection first with no proxy, validate console through ps3 browser, after validated redo connection this time with proxy, that made it work for me though it takes like 5mins to sign in at first.
Reply 9
Original post by jmelech
Wired connection first with no proxy, validate console through ps3 browser, after validated redo connection this time with proxy, that made it work for me though it takes like 5mins to sign in at first.

You telling me PS3 connects and works on campus right now?
Reply 10

I tried that. When I try to use the browser I just says unconfigured browser. I can get onto the resnet validation page then it says there is an error. When I set up the proxy in the network settings it makes the browser work. So does yours actually work? When it tests the connection does it say that connecting to PSN was successful?
Reply 11
I tried jmelech's way again. I had to get rid of my PS3 validation that I did via my computer browser. That way when you access resnet on the PS3 the whole connection process appears. When I got to the validation part it basically crashed. I'll try again later.
Reply 12
Original post by PlopNofear
I had to get rid of my PS3 validation that I did via my computer browser.

i.e. when you entered the MAC address etc...? If so, how do you do this?

I'm going to give this a go later.
Reply 13
https://resnet.lancs.ac.uk/validated/loading.html?url=/validated/login/myresnet.html?

Go on to that link. Login then go on to My validations. Then you can delete your PS3. Which then lets you validate through the PS3 browser.
Reply 14
Thanks, going to give it a go soon. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

Edit: I had a go, but still can't get anything on the browser. I always get the following message:

The page cannot be displayed.
Go to [Settings] > [Network Settings] and check your settings. (80130182)

Would it be possible for somebody to tell me what they have for their options? e.g:

Internet Connection Settings > Custom > Wired Connection > Auto-Detect > etc...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Internet Connection Settings > Easy

Auto for everything. No proxy to begin with.
Reply 16
Internet Connection Settings > Easy

Auto for everything. No proxy to begin with.

Managed to get onto the browser, I went through the steps to verification etc... It took a while and then just went to a white screen, so not sure whether it worked properly or not. But I can now use the browser etc... so that is better than before.

What should the Internet Connection Settings be for the second time, when you use a proxy? Auto for all but proxy? What about that UPnP thing, is that to enter your username and password?
Reply 17
I haven't tried it again. But from what jmelech was saying. You should redo the network settings with the proxy. I would think auto for all of the things, enable UPnP.
Reply 18
Ok. I just tried it again. Validated PS3 on the PS3 browser with no proxy. Then tried to validate it again with the proxy but an error comes up saying server error 500 on the resnet page.
Reply 19
Ok. I just tried it again. Validated PS3 on the PS3 browser with no proxy. Then tried to validate it again with the proxy but an error comes up saying server error 500 on the resnet page.

I get the same problem. But when I look on "my validations" on my laptop, it says that the PS3 was validated on the day that I tried it, so it seems to have worked.

Just can't connect to the PSN.

Quick Reply