The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering application thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by jukebox808
Ahh damn, I've only just sent my application off :/ When did you send yours off? Also, if you don't mind me asking, ,what are your predicted grades? Really want Birmingham or Imperial. Sorry, hope you don't mind! :smile: Big congratulations to you by the way! :biggrin:

i sent off my application on the 13th of October. my predicted grades are 4A*s, but i don't think i can achieve such high grades. good luck to your application. btw both imperial college and manchester interview every applicant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by shaos1993
i sent off my application on the 13th of October. my predicted grades are 4A*s, but i don't think i can achieve such high grades. good luck to your application. btw both imperial college and manchester interview every applicant.

Ahh, I see, quite shocked by that! Thank you for letting us know! Don't worry about achieving those grades, I'm sure you'll do really well! Good luck for the rest of your application and interviews :smile:
Was just wondering if Manchester gives a year in industry, seeming as it isn't mentioned on their site...
Original post by MasterPotatoHead
Was just wondering if Manchester gives a year in industry, seeming as it isn't mentioned on their site...

I am sure I have heard in the past of Manchester offering a year in industry, although I may be wrong.

But if your university doesn't offer it then there is usually nothing stopping you from getting your own year long placement and then suspending your studies for a year.
Original post by Smack
I am sure I have heard in the past of Manchester offering a year in industry, although I may be wrong.

But if your university doesn't offer it then there is usually nothing stopping you from getting your own year long placement and then suspending your studies for a year.

Wow never knew I could suspend studies for a year, that's good news. Do you think, if this was case, the uni would assist me in looking for a placement?
Reply 205

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2012/atoz/course/?code=03849&pg=1
Wow never knew I could suspend studies for a year, that's good news.

I'm not sure if every university allows you to do it, so don't take my word for it. But many do.

Do you think, if this was case, the uni would assist me in looking for a placement?

I honestly don't know. It depends entirely the university's careers service, but yes, most are quite good and will help you a lot.
Original post by Smack

I honestly don't know. It depends entirely the university's careers service, but yes, most are quite good and will help you a lot.

Forgive me I just went on the website and they do offer industrial experience.
Must've gone blind for a while there :colondollar:
How much can chemical engineers earn abroad? what type of work would i be doing? What is the starting UK salary?
Reply 209
Original post by mrdreamerstar
How much can chemical engineers earn abroad? what type of work would i be doing? What is the starting UK salary?

The UK starting salary is about £28,000 (3rd highest after medicine and dentistry :smile:).

I'm not too sure what they earn abroad, but I'm sure its not bad considering the Uk starting salary.

The work you do is very hard to answer because there's so many industries you can go into. For example, you can go into the oil, food & drink, finance, energy and pharmaceutical industries, so it's really up to you :smile:.
Original post by nd123
The UK starting salary is about £28,000 (3rd highest after medicine and dentistry :smile:).

I'm not too sure what they earn abroad, but I'm sure its not bad considering the Uk starting salary.

The work you do is very hard to answer because there's so many industries you can go into. For example, you can go into the oil, food & drink, finance, energy and pharmaceutical industries, so it's really up to you :smile:.

will it be interesting and do i have to work long hours
Reply 211
Original post by mrdreamerstar
will it be interesting and do i have to work long hours
]

lol, the question is, does chemical engineering interest you?
Read up about it and see what it involves and the topics you will study.

If it interests you, then good for you and keep pursuing a degree in it.
If it doesn't interest you, I would recommend maybe looking at another course that does and you find interesting enough to go that extra mile. :smile:

The hours of work also depends on the type of industry you work in and type of jobs they have for you, so again, it is hard to say.
Does anyone know what to expect at an interview? What questions do they ask? Any technical question? Any examination? etc
Reply 213
Original post by Yinks
Yh hope so...:biggrin:(girl btw)...looool

sorry that was a general reply :P
Got an offer from Nottingham!! AAB... really happy with that
Reply 215
Got an offer from Nottingham!! AAB... really happy with that

Nice!!..congrats!!:biggrin:
I'm the only one in my year who wants to do chem eng! I am no longer foreveralone. I applied to Manchester, Imp, UCL, Sheffield, and Birmingham last week. I can't believe i already have an offer from Sheffield! AAB!
Reply 217
Original post by Inactivity
I'm the only one in my year who wants to do chem eng!

Same! I go to an all girls school though x) and congrats on the offer :biggrin:
Reply 218
Original post by Inactivity
I'm the only one in my year who wants to do chem eng!

Same :colone:

I'm getting my application off soon, next week hopefully. Applying to:

Leeds (with Nuclear)
Nottingham
Sheffield (with Chemistry)
Loughborough
Teesside

Predicted either AAA or AAB (depending on physics, not entirely sure what they've predicted me!). All courses are either AAB or ABB apart from Teesside which is BBB/BBC so I should be fine in getting my grades :biggrin:
Unbelievable, got invited to interviews at Manchester and Birmingham today! :woo: :woo: :biggrin:

Quick Reply