The Student Room Group

Dentistry Interviews 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kubs
thanks for the reply x

i would say education aswell because when i had braces i was given a lot of information on how to keep my retainer clean and how to use those other small brushes effectively-cant remember what they are called though and you can link this with preventive dentistry aswell- what patchey said.
it may seem quite obvious but at the time when i was like 12 or something it wasn't lol

and also educating the older members of the population aswell from other ethnic backgrounds who may have some long term problems with there oral hygiene due to poverty etc.
hope that helps. i learned the latter on work experience when i went to a dental practice in a deprived area.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by kubs
everything?? its an iv question..
its pretty openended though, i guess

The most important aspect would probably be the wellbeing of the patient I guess.
Original post by undertaker1

and also educating the older members of the population aswell from other ethnic backgrounds who may have some long term problems with there oral hygiene due to poverty etc.

Yeah lots of Asian men chew paan which causes oral cancer but because its only really used in that community few people know the dangers
Reply 103
i would say education aswell because when i had braces i was given a lot of information on how to keep my retainer clean and how to use those other small brushes effectively-cant remember what they are called though and you can link this with preventive dentistry aswell- what patchey said.
it may seem quite obvious but at the time when i was like 12 or something it wasn't lol

hope that helps. i learned the latter on work experience when i went to a dental practice in a deprived area.

Interdental brushes.
Reply 104
Original post by tomrickard1
Interview at Manchester on the 21st :biggrin:

hey congrats!

what are your stats/gcses?

:biggrin:
Reply 105
Original post by kubs
OMG! Me too :O :O :O

Seriously freaking out now!!

congrats!

do you mind me asking your stats/ukcat?
Reply 106

Cool, thanks a bunch!
Reply 107
ahhh Interview at Liverpool on 25th November! so nervouss but excited!! :biggrin:
Interview at Manchester on the 21st :biggrin:

Me tooooooooooooo :smile: is yours at 9:15??
Reply 109
Original post by EmmaW94
ahhh Interview at Liverpool on 25th November! so nervouss but excited!! :biggrin:

me too!! I'm freeeaking out but yeah like you said, excited too! :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by R_:)
me too!! I'm freeeaking out but yeah like you said, excited too! :smile:

ooo well done! :smile: I cant believe its in two weeks ahh! what times yours? do you have to get down there at 9 in the morning?
Original post by claireytoothfairy
Me tooooooooooooo :smile: is yours at 9:15??

It's 12pm in the afternoon, which is probably good as it means I can have some more sleep in the morning since I know I probably won't be able to sleep at night.

I rang Teresa Smith yesterday to confirm that I'm going, she seemed really friendly so hopefully that's an example of how the rest of the interviewers at Manchester Uni are like :smile:

I'm doing loads of dental/medical ethics research, I'm trying to get prepared for the group discussion interview which I'm dreading.
Reply 112
It's 12pm in the afternoon, which is probably good as it means I can have some more sleep in the morning since I know I probably won't be able to sleep at night.

I rang Teresa Smith yesterday to confirm that I'm going, she seemed really friendly so hopefully that's an example of how the rest of the interviewers at Manchester Uni are like :smile:

I'm doing loads of dental/medical ethics research, I'm trying to get prepared for the group discussion interview which I'm dreading.

Teresa is part of admin and processes the application forms, she doesn't really carry out the interviews. Do a search on TSR for Manchester dental interview experiences of previous years, it seems they are quite formal, and base quite a few questions on your PS with at least 1 form of dental issue related question.
Original post by bds'13
Teresa is part of admin and processes the application forms, she doesn't really carry out the interviews. Do a search on TSR for Manchester dental interview experiences of previous years, it seems they are quite formal, and base quite a few questions on your PS with at least 1 form of dental issue related question.

Thanks for letting me know, I'm going to do that later tonight :smile:
Reply 114

Good lad.
Reply 115

Hey, do you have any idea as to what the group discussion was about last year? .. And, how many people will they put us in a group with do you think?
Hey,
I'm applying for dentistry this year and manchester have invited me for interview..
im worried about the group discussion. Do any of you know what came up last year as the discussion topic?
Original post by fishfingers:)
Hey,
I'm applying for dentistry this year and manchester have invited me for interview..
im worried about the group discussion. Do any of you know what came up last year as the discussion topic?

This is the first year they've done this style of interview at Manchester- the group bit is more ethical and then you have like 2 or 3 mini-interviews with different tutors from the course. So it will be different to interviews in the past. :smile:
Original post by claireytoothfairy
This is the first year they've done this style of interview at Manchester- the group bit is more ethical and then you have like 2 or 3 mini-interviews with different tutors from the course. So it will be different to interviews in the past. :smile:

oh thanks for letting me know :smile: .. will we be in a group of about 10 - 15 people??
and i think we will be having 3 individual interviews; how daunting!! but, do you know how long these will last.
is anyone taking evidence of manual dexterity with them as well?
I was doing some googling on PBL at Manchester and I found this. I don't know whether it's private or not but it came up on google so I doubt it is.

I have a theory that these group interviews are to test us on our suitability in PBL as well as other things. This may prove useful in terms of what the interviewers are expecting us to do, but it's just a theory on my part so feel free to shot it down. The article is still a good read however and will set you up for PBL questions.

(Check out the pre-admission interviewing section.)

Yeah, i think it is for the interviewers to decide whether we are suitable for the PBL course. did they have a group discussion interview for last years applicants as well, or is it something new they've decided to introduce. I have been 'stalking' :tongue: the 2011 applicants page for manchester interviews however there isn't anything which is explicit about what in fact came up, thus, i'm thinking that perhaps it was introduced this year.

And what if i have no idea about the chosen topic, i can't just sit there like a lemon! :P but then i don't think i'd want to say anything that'll make me seem stupid either..

Quick Reply

Latest