Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
I have it!!! Cheers Asda!

Edit: With added reinforced paper map
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Genocidal
You are one of those "strange" gamers I see?:biggrin:

Its a trap :ninja: :tongue: It was random, I was experimenting around really with character creation as I thought I could always change it/start a new. Happened to like the character and just continued. Not going to affect game in any way so for me its irrelevant.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I'm always the human looking ones, in any game.

Wouldn't say that was racist or anything. :pierre:

So racist tbh. And btw, strat guide? Pathetic mate :pierre:

Original post by King_Duncan
Anyone playing this on a machine with a dual-core processor? I have a decent graphics card (GTX 560 Ti) but my motherboard is old so I'm stuck with an overclocked E8200, and I can't afford to get a new motherboard and quad-core at the moment. What kind of settings could I expect with that CPU and GPU (with 4GB RAM)?

Whilst as another posted, the game is probably not going to be using more than two threads at once for a sizeable part of the game, there will definitely be slow down in the more frame and action heavy parts. Recommended specs are for Quad core which is arguably to play at about medium, therefore I do not know how well a dual core would handle even on low - I haven't heard anyone try it. The minimum specs are for a dual core but any pc gamer knows minimum specs are awful. Your graphics card is decent, how much dedicated mem is on there? The 4GB ram will definitely be eaten up by Skyrim if you go to high/ultra settings but should be fine if not. I'm not sure, but from your CPU may be the bottleneck more so than your GPU. But of course, this is just speculation.

Original post by Truered
Is this likely to be a game sold out?

You lot (and reviews) have broken my resistance and I've decided to get this now and SR3 for Christmas. Going to a large Tesco's later tonight so I need to know if it'd be a waste of time getting some money out :mmm:

I doubt it will be sold out everywhere. It will probably be in some places, but if you wanted it, I'm sure you could find it. It definitely wouldn't be a waste :coma:
Original post by Dalimyr
It's normal for the installation of the game, yes :p:

I did a bit more searching, turns out I just had to exit steam completely before inserting the disk in order to get it to install from the disk :smile:
My pre-order didn't arrive, so I went and got it at Gamestation, along with the guide and the HD Ico Collection.

So far, it's amazing!
Reply 2164
Surprisingly got allowed to leave work early to play it. Even more surprisingly they apologised for not letting me go earlier :rofl:
Mine hasn't turned up and i'm too lazy to go to a shop and buy it :frown: **** you Amazon, **** you!
OK so I've been playing it on and off today, mostly off because I can't get it to save any of my games :frown:

I lost a 4-hour playthrough from earlier today :nooo:

The files are actually still all there, but Skyrim doesn't want to see them for some reason.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

OK so I've been playing it on and off today, mostly off because I can't get it to save any of my games :frown:

I lost a 4-hour playthrough from earlier today :nooo:

:sadface:

What exactly is the problem? Is there a runtime error / read error? Oh and, is there any kind of audio or video delay (Which you don't suspect is from pc specs) or distortion?
Original post by Facticity
What exactly is the problem? Is there a runtime error / read error? Oh and, is there any kind of audio or video delay (Which you don't suspect is from pc specs) or distortion?

The savegames are all in the My Games>Skyrim>Saves folder as would be expected, but Skyrim just doesn't see them when I go to the load screen.

There's no errors whatsoever, the program runs absolutely fine. In fact it's miles stable than Oblivion is on my PC.
Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! ITS AMAZING! :biggrin: :biggrin: :woo:

Ha, I love it! :woo:

Though, so far I've had the **** kicked out of me by an elderly lady. "Oh hello dear, you don't need to bother with me, I'm just an old woman!" Oh? Well what's this cellar in your house? This house that's out oddly in the middle of no where. So our heroine takes a peek into the oddly solitude-loving old woman's cellar only to find a ****in' witchcraft-hovel.

I steal everything, poke my head back out and the ****ing cow tosses a fireball at my face, destroys like half my health and then punches me square in the chops. Took it like a pro, cut her down, stole everything on the top floor and was subsequently killed by a gang of three bandits. I did manage to get my first glimpse at the classic armour, though. :redface:

And now I'm doing the mission lots of the reviewers did. The golden claw one? Just selling the witches' crap first, dosing a healthy profit considering I was beaten half to death by her. =/

I was a bit taken back by the bow and arrow play, but I imagine I'll learn to account for its increased delay etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

The savegames are all in the My Games>Skyrim>Saves folder as would be expected, but Skyrim just doesn't see them when I go to the load screen.

There's no errors whatsoever, the program runs absolutely fine. In fact it's miles stable than Oblivion is on my PC.

Did you install via steam or through the disk?
Did you install via steam or through the disk?

Via Steam.

Via Steam.

Thought as much. Steam has a habbit of messing directory paths, especially with patch mishaps. I'd recommend re-installing from the disk. You'll need to exit steam completely and you should be able to install from the disk and run from it also. You'll save space and probably need the disk after that though. But you can also copy the save files and get your saves back. Or you could try reinstalling from Steam, but judging from the state of the servers, that may not work. I'm assuming you have a disk by the way :tongue:

Either way, if its the simple case of a directory mishap, a re-install should fix it. If you can bear the wait :tongue:
Reply 2173
Installing to the 360 hard drive now :colone:
Thought as much. Steam has a habbit of messing directory paths, especially with patch mishaps. I'd recommend re-installing from the disk. You'll need to exit steam completely and you should be able to install from the disk and run from it also. You'll save space and probably need the disk after that though. But you can also copy the save files and get your saves back. Or you could try reinstalling from Steam, but judging from the state of the servers, that may not work. I'm assuming you have a disk by the way :tongue:

Either way, if its the simple case of a directory mishap, a re-install should fix it. If you can bear the wait :tongue:

I don't have a disk :frown:

I'll try reinstalling it anyway, not like I can really play the game if I can't save it :dontknow:

Thanks for that, thought it would probably come down to a reinstall but a second opinion is always very handy :biggrin:

From what I did get to play before my Nord got erased from existence, it's amazing! Love it! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

I'll try reinstalling it anyway, not like I can really play the game if I can't save it :dontknow:

Thanks for that, thought it would probably come down to a reinstall but a second opinion is always very handy :biggrin:

Take a copy of the save files before you re-install so you can try moving them to the new directory afterwards and see if it picks them up

This is why I always have a disk :tongue: I have never gotten anything off steam, its cheaper but honestly the amount of patch and runtime errors that come about are ridiculous. Since Steam simply installs according to a set of instructions, and computers and settings differ almost completely, it often has a hard time making it work for everyone.

No problem :hat2: Try the re-install. If that doesn't work. There are other more... potent (and physical) methods of fixing it :colone:

Now, back to Skyrim :moon:
Original post by LtCommanderData
Take a copy of the save files before you re-install so you can try moving them to the new directory afterwards and see if it picks them up

Yep, already done that.

But even if it does like the old files I might start again anyway.

Fortunately we got BT Infinity a fortnight ago, so Steam downloads now take about 45 minutes for a Skyrim-sized game. :woo: I am glad that Bethesda kept the file size down, Rage is a stupid 20GB. An awesome 20GB, but 20GB nonetheless.
(edited 12 years ago)
This is why I always have a disk :tongue: I have never gotten anything off steam, its cheaper but honestly the amount of patch and runtime errors that come about are ridiculous. Since Steam simply installs according to a set of instructions, and computers and settings differ almost completely, it often has a hard time making it work for everyone.

No problem :hat2: Try the re-install. If that doesn't work. There are other more... potent (and physical) methods of fixing it :colone:

Now, back to Skyrim :moon:

I'm not trying to persuade you to start buying games on Steam or anything, but don't overestimate the number of problems it causes. I've got over 150 games on there and can't think off the top of my head of a problem I've ever had that wouldn't have arisen if I'd bought it another way (apart from slow downloads)

EDIT: I know it does cause problems, and the number will vary by person, and I'm sure I've been very lucky etc, but still. It's not that much of a minefield, really
(edited 12 years ago)

I'm not trying to persuade you to start buying games on Steam or anything, but don't overestimate the number of problems it causes. I've got over 150 games on there and can't think off the top of my head of a problem I've ever had that wouldn't have arisen if I'd bought it another way (apart from slow downloads)

EDIT: I know it does cause problems, and the number will vary by person, and I'm sure I've been very lucky etc, but still. It's not that much of a minefield, really

Fair enough. I'm not discouraging anyone from using Steam, I'm just not a fan. I prefer to have my data on hard disk and so I can see and do whats necessary, a lot easier than if I have to download from an external server. I also save hard drive space which in the long run is nice. Also, with things like server crashes, download times, errors and more commonly just the inability to trade back for money / credits, I just don't feel like I need steam. They may not have happened to you but a quick google search would reveal a huge bank of problems associated directly with getting things off steam as opposed to a hard copy. Don't get me wrong, there are great prices on steam for obvious reasons and it is massively popular and works great for the majority however, I just don't see the few pounds as important enough to potentially have to deal with that. :nah:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply