The Student Room Group

UCAS 2012 - Discuss your decisions **here**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by obusby1
I see that many people are receiving university decisions and I wanted to know if some universities are renowned for taking longer with their decisions than others.
I've applied to: Oxford, King's, UCL, Warwick and Queen Mary's and sent it off oct 14th.

So, do they take longer, and if so, what is the reason for this?

P.S. Applying for law

It really does depend on the course you're applying for. I too am applying for Oxford, QM and UCL
Oxford said we should find out if we have been rejected/invited for an interview by "late November/early December".
I've already recieved an offer from QM (Psych).
And UCL is notoriously known for taking their time, we should find out by february I think.
Some universities give their offers out in batches while others will hold over and wait until they've recieved all their applicants by the Jan deadline).
(P.S. a friend of mine has recieved an offer from King's for Linguistics - it all depends on how quick your department is).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 261
Original post by Gallois
I didn't think it was possible to change it at all? It says on UCAS that after you do, it's final?

And like I said, yes, I was very sure. You've no idea how badly I want to study at Sheffield.
You can make changes to your choices within seven days of you making them - after that it is supposed to be final, as you say.
Reply 262
Original post by MyselfEtAl
It really does depend on the course you're applying for. I too am applying for Oxford, QM and UCL
Oxford said we should find out if we have been rejected/invited for an interview by "late November/early December".
I've already recieved an offer from QM (Psych).
And UCL is notoriously known for taking their time, we should find out by february I think.
Some universities give their offers out in batches while others will hold I've and wait until they've recieved all their applicants by the Jan deadline).
(P.S. a friend of mine has recieved an offer from King's for Linguistics - it all depends on how quick your department is).

Thank you very much, so basically if Oxford does not ask for an interview then you've been rejected right?
Original post by obusby1
Thank you very much, so basically if Oxford does not ask for an interview then you've been rejected right?

Yup :/
Unless your subject is one that they don't interview for/is based on some other criteria.
Reply 264
Original post by Minerva
You wait - come June/July, we get endless threads from people wanting to know about Changing your Mind, in spite of the fact that every year I say the same thing...

Gallois seems to have been very sure about what he wanted to do, so fair enough, but things can and do change so my line has always been to avoid making final decisions until you absolutely have to.

If someone chooses firm (say college A) and insurance (college B) and then meets the conditions for both, is it possible to choose to go to insurance instead of firm finally?

how does it work?
Reply 265
i got my last offer yesterday!

i applied for American Studies with a year abroad at all my universities and now have offers from all of them :smile: really pleased!

Leicester - ABB
Sussex - AAB
Kent - ABB
Essex - BBB
Swansea - BBB

i will probably look to reply to my offers around christmas, gives me time to give it a think.... ones things for sure though, Leicester as my firm :smile:
Original post by mpc1
If someone chooses firm (say college A) and insurance (college B) and then meets the conditions for both, is it possible to choose to go to insurance instead of firm finally?

how does it work?

No, if you meet the requirements of your firm choice you have to go there or reapply next year.
Reply 267
wrong you can tell urfirm to reject you but they may not agree
Original post by mpc1

how does it work?

i think you can, but there is a conplicated process. ask ur advisor:biggrin:
Reply 269
Original post by mpc1

how does it work?
Check out the link in my earlier post.

Original post by rosemary22
No, if you meet the requirements of your firm choice you have to go there or reapply next year.
This is correct if you wait until Results Day to do anything about your change of heart.
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
I'm not replying to my offers until the new year, I know the choice is between two already but nowhere near deciding just yet :afraid:

which two?
Original post by Larsson
i got my last offer yesterday!

i applied for American Studies with a year abroad at all my universities and now have offers from all of them :smile: really pleased!

Leicester - ABB
Sussex - AAB
Kent - ABB
Essex - BBB
Swansea - BBB

i will probably look to reply to my offers around christmas, gives me time to give it a think.... ones things for sure though, Leicester as my firm :smile:

Hey! Congratulations! Can I ask, what do you plan on doing after your degree? :smile:
when can you reply to your choices- I know the deadline is something like May time, right?
Reply 273
Original post by MyselfEtAl
Hey! Congratulations! Can I ask, what do you plan on doing after your degree? :smile:

thanks! im not too sure at the moment... wouldent mind going into marketing or working for the government..

but i really don't know just yet :smile:
Original post by jelly1000
which two?

Loughborough and soton.

I really like UEA it's just an 8 hour trek away :afraid:
Reply 275
I got an offer from Coventry for Psych with Criminology, it's where i really wanted to go. Now i'm worried about putting it as my firm as i don't think i'll get offered lower grades from anywhere else. Since, instead of offering me BBB they offered me BCC. All the uni's i applied to are ABB/BBB unis.
Original post by Becky94
I got an offer from Coventry for Psych with Criminology, it's where i really wanted to go. Now i'm worried about putting it as my firm as i don't think i'll get offered lower grades from anywhere else. Since, instead of offering me BBB they offered me BCC. All the uni's i applied to are ABB/BBB unis.

Surely that is a good thing and makes it worthwhile putting as your firm if you are even more confident of achieving it?

No point having an insurance for the sheer hell of it when the uni you really want to go to have given you the best offer.
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Loughborough and soton.

I really like UEA it's just an 8 hour trek away :afraid:

Fair enough, I like being only 2 1/2 hours from home.
Reply 278
Surely that is a good thing and makes it worthwhile putting as your firm if you are even more confident of achieving it?

No point having an insurance for the sheer hell of it when the uni you really want to go to have given you the best offer.

It is a good thing :smile:
My school are trying to make us have an insurance lower than our firm :/
I'll just wait a while then choose without telling them :smile:
Original post by Becky94
It is a good thing :smile:
My school are trying to make us have an insurance lower than our firm :/
I'll just wait a while then choose without telling them :smile:

They can't do anything so ignore them, put the uni you actually want to go to as your firm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending