The Student Room Group

Intro to Investment Banking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by lmfao
2 Questions:

Is their any IB role that isn't quantitative?

And on failure to achieve Summer/Spring internships, are IB hopes doomed? I was kind of hoping to be lazy, complete a relevant Masters/MBA and then just jump onto whatever's suitable. Is this silly?

tyty

If you don't like numbers, you picked the wrong indsutry. Or what do you mean by "isn't quantitative"?
WIll my first year degree marks be taken into account, if i'm applying for an internship in my second year?
Reply 482
Original post by usainlightning
WIll my first year degree marks be taken into account, if i'm applying for an internship in my second year?

At certain places yes, others no.
How does one go about getting an off cycle internship with a BB?
I know a good bit about banking and I got a 1st for first year from a good Irish uni and 400+ UCAS points (converted from the Irish system)..

I know how it is with boutiques, but for BB do you just cold call/email or is there usually a set out process for off cycle like there is for summer internships? (I am required to get 4 months work exp. in 2nd year and was hoping for IBD or Research)
Reply 484
Original post by BulgeBracket
I know a good bit about banking and I got a 1st for first year from a good Irish uni and 400+ UCAS points (converted from the Irish system)..

I know how it is with boutiques, but for BB do you just cold call/email or is there usually a set out process for off cycle like there is for summer internships? (I am required to get 4 months work exp. in 2nd year and was hoping for IBD or Research)
theres an online applciation system
Original post by BulgeBracket

Yes some banks do offer off cycle internships. I think BNP Paribas are currently recruiting for off cycle interns.

Other banks in the UK that offer them include Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan. You'll have to check the websites yourself to find out.
http://www.fow.com/

This would be a useful site for those wanting to get a bit more familiar with derivs and related parlance...perhaps worth putting in the OP. There's some subscription only content but a lot of decent free articles.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 487
If you are interested in a career in banking, then check out the Free Tutorials on how to get a job on Wall Street at [www] insideinvestmentbanking [dot] com. Best part, all the tutorials are written by bankers who’ve been there, done that, so the advice is really solid. Disclosure: I’m actually a current student of IIB and I do get help from them with recruiting (eg resume review) in exchange for letting other students know about it.

It is other way round...lol
Reply 490

Not that I really care, but I didn't actually copy it all from the link. In fact, it was the other way round. At the time of writing the thread the forum was full of threads asking pretty much the same question. I'm sure PB and others who were around at the time can agree how boring and repitive it all became. So I decided to put my thoughts and ideas into a thread, which was later made into a sticky.

Just maybe people should get their facts right before they post. :smile:

Kind of annoyed I didn't get notice of someone copying my thread into a wiki article.
Reply 491
Original post by Dumb Economist
It is other way round...lol

Lol, just noticed this. Thanks.
lol sorry, when I posted that, I was hoping it wasn't the other way round but unfortunately it was.
Reply 493
Hey which course will give me a better chance at Investment Banking. Physics at Imperial College or UCL or will their be negligible difference?
Original post by Singh_87
Options, Futures and Other Derivatives; John Hull

Is there a difference between the US and the Global Edition? well other than price that is as I'm trying to see which one I should purchase as I am reading it for myself (hopefully it will help me with my ambitions to get into IB) not a course.
May be of use...

There was a newspaper last term around campus - 'The Gateway Investment Banking Special' which was pretty good as an introduction to banking .. lots of course-mates used it for their applications, interviews etc

I got an email several months back from my business school and the whole issue is still available online so I thought i'd offer it up as an extra to the resources on the original thread! : http://thegatewayonline.com/issues/issue42 :smile:
Brazil and Rio de Janeiro Investment Consulting & Business consulting. advisory services ports shipyard biofuels commercial residential real estate hotels mergers acquisitions private equity capital.
Reply 497
Hi All,

I am still browsing around for an in-depth site only on Investment Banking programmes. The sites out there (milkround etc.) seem to be incomplete.

Does anyone know?

Txs
Stunning post.
Reply 499
Hi guys,

I am applying to bulge bracket IBs Summer Internships this year. Last year I have made a couple of unsuccessful Spring Week applications (mainly failed because of no experience with online testing).
Do these unsuccessful applications influence the chances of getting an offer?

Thanks

Quick Reply