The Student Room Group

Scratch on led tv

My samsung led tv bought from currys 10 months ago has got a very noticeable deep scratch near the bottom of the screen. My mother thought she would hoover it with the pipe, resulting in a scratch.

So where do I stand in terms of warranty. will they repair it?

Scroll to see replies

That sounds like accidental damage. Well, it is accidental damage. Unless you purchased extra cover it is unlikely you will get it repaired for free. Sorry.
Reply 2
Lolololololololol
Reply 3
Our home is covered with home contents insurance. does this cover accidental damage?
Original post by seeraj15
Our home is covered with home contents insurance. does this cover accidental damage?

You'd have to check with your insurance provider, it might do...most likely at a price.
Reply 5
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the scratch? I can feel it when I rub my finger over it.
Reply 6
You could just "knock it off the unit" and claim on your HI that way.
Original post by PwnArtist

Why would this be covered when a scratch wouldn't? :confused: Either he has accidental damage cover or he doesn't.
Reply 8
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Why would this be covered when a scratch wouldn't? :confused: Either he has accidental damage cover or he doesn't.

Becuase a scratch is hardly making the tv impossible to watch, is a purly cosmetic thing. Whereas knocking it over will smash it thus making it impossible to watch.
Reply 9
Does content insurance cover scratches to tv's?
I know my dad recently got it.
Original post by seeraj15
Does content insurance cover scratches to tv's?
I know my dad recently got it.

Not really, as it's a cosmetic problem and not actually effecting the use of the TV. They would class it as wear and tear and thats not covered for obvious reasons.
Not really, as it's a cosmetic problem and not actually effecting the use of the TV. They would class it as wear and tear and thats not covered for obvious reasons.

Contents insurance normally covers accidental damage to home stereo music equipment and tv, even if you haven't paid extra for accidental damage cover on all your contents but you need to get a quote for replacing the screen.
There's no need to replace the whole tv, just the glass screen can be replaced.
Original post by Horsedobbin
Contents insurance normally covers accidental damage to home stereo music equipment and tv, even if you haven't paid extra for accidental damage cover on all your contents but you need to get a quote for replacing the screen.
There's no need to replace the whole tv, just the glass screen can be replaced.

But the still won't do it, cosmetic damage is not covered by insurance. I had similar problems, where it was scratched but the classed it as wear and tear.
Reply 13
palm it off on your mum cos she ruined it, get her to pay you for it and use it as an excuse for an upgrade
Reply 14

Hmm, I was actually going to say that... then I read your comment.. Damn. Looks like ya beat me to it ! >. > BLARGHH
Reply 15
Original post by raz373
palm it off on your mum cos she ruined it, get her to pay you for it and use it as an excuse for an upgrade

You mean prick
Reply 16
I've tried ' filling' the scratch with a tiny bit of vaseline but it doesnt work. I suppose i'll have to live with it.
But the still won't do it, cosmetic damage is not covered by insurance. I had similar problems, where it was scratched but the classed it as wear and tear.

It's cosmetic only if it doesn't spoil your viewing enjoyment.
Seeing actors' faces with a big scratch over them isn't just cosmetic for example, but if you can't notice it when the tv is switched on ,then I agree with you.
The Op said it was on the bottom of the screen where her mum tried to vacume it. So i highly doubt its ruining much.
Reply 19
It's about 2 inches from the bottom of the screen on the right side. The scratch itself is quite big, about 6 inches. When the tv is off you can see it clearly but when it is on you can't see all of it, it looks like bits of it are faded.

I also noticed a reddish blackish pixel at the to of the screen. Sometimes it looks black, others red. What does currys warranty day about stuck/dead pixels? Do they replace/repair if there are a couple dead pixels?

Quick Reply