The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jack236
Does anyone know roughly when interviews are, or at least when we know if we've got one? Also when/if they send confirmation emails, I sent my UCAS form off ages ago and haven't had anything yet... paranoia's kicking in already, I'm gonna be a quivering wreck this time in 3 months :frown:

Interviews are usually held from mid-November to late-February/March. Dont worry about it, I don't have an acknowledgement (yet) and I'm feeling the same. :smile:
FINALLY!!! I recieve my acknowledgement letter from Newcastle!!!!! YAY¬
my last acknowledgement is here! just gets scarier... lol
Reply 62
Original post by Panda89
Interviews are usually held from mid-November to late-February/March. Dont worry about it, I don't have an acknowledgement (yet) and I'm feeling the same. :smile:

Ha thanks :smile: I got an acknowledgement from Newcastle on Monday then one from Durham on Tuesday, I guess now it's time to play the waiting game!
Reply 63
Original post by jack236
Ha thanks :smile: I got an acknowledgement from Newcastle on Monday then one from Durham on Tuesday, I guess now it's time to play the waiting game!

Same here, good luck! Is Durham your first choice?
Reply 64
Original post by Panda89
Same here, good luck! Is Durham your first choice?

You too! I haven't actually been to visit yet, it's a long way away for me and I haven't had the time :frown: but based on what I've read and heard it might well be, what about you? :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by jack236
You too! I haven't actually been to visit yet, it's a long way away for me and I haven't had the time :frown: but based on what I've read and heard it might well be, what about you? :smile:

Yup, same situation for me. :biggrin:
Reply 66
I've been offered an interview :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by islanders
I've been offered an interview :biggrin:

Wow, really? Congrats! I thought they don't receive the UKCAT scores until the 4th of November?
Reply 68
Original post by Panda89
Wow, really? Congrats! I thought they don't receive the UKCAT scores until the 4th of November?

I thought exactly the same. Approx 3pm today they called me and left a message on my voicemail. I considered cruel prank from friends, google'd the number, rang them and voila, they actually were offering me an interview!
Reply 69
I thought exactly the same. Approx 3pm today they called me and left a message on my voicemail. I considered cruel prank from friends, google'd the number, rang them and voila, they actually were offering me an interview!

Haha that's awesome man, I'd be so happy to hear that. When's your interview? :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by Panda89
Haha that's awesome man, I'd be so happy to hear that. When's your interview? :smile:

Thank you! In 2 weeks time
Reply 71
John Snow or Stephenson??
Reply 72
John Snow or Stephenson??

From what I've read and seen on the website, Stephenson seems to be much closer to the lectures. I got the feeling that John Snow was more "formal". Meh, I'd probably choose John Snow just because the video on the website was better. Good luck for your interview next week mate, let us know how it goes. :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Panda89
From what I've read and seen on the website, Stephenson seems to be much closer to the lectures. I got the feeling that John Snow was more "formal". Meh, I'd probably choose John Snow just because the video on the website was better. Good luck for your interview next week mate, let us know how it goes. :smile:

I went for John Snow - some Durham medic friends of a friend praised it more than Stephenson, although the 1 minute away from lectures was appealing.

Now just the small issue of getting an offer...

Many thanks, I shall!
Reply 74
Hi, guys. I'm an international applicant and I just got a track update telling me that I'm now allocated to Durham and I will be competing for the 6-7 spots... EXCITING! :biggrin: Nice to meet you all!
Reply 75
Original post by doctork2
Hi, guys. I'm an international applicant and I just got a track update telling me that I'm now allocated to Durham and I will be competing for the 6-7 spots... EXCITING! :biggrin: Nice to meet you all!

Best of luck! Is Durham your first choice?
Reply 76
Original post by Panda89
Best of luck! Is Durham your first choice?

Thank you ver much, Panda89! And actually, all my choices are my "top choice" :wink: ... I will be more than blessed to get educated in the UK for my future medical career. But yes, I love how Durham involves tactile learning in the modules - I am a visual/tactile learner myself. I also look forward to the fact that the medicine faculty is very tightly knit - everyone know each other, etc... I believe I, as an international student, will be able to fit into the university environment quite nicely :smile:

good luck to everyone who's applying!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 77
Hi guys, I've just received a UCAS notification allocating me to Durham. Here's my profile:

UKCAT: 687.5

Graduated 2010 - 1st Class Degree in Music (lol, relevant....)

Currently taking AS chemistry (predicted A), and studying at Leeds Uni as part of my training to become an Assistant Practitioner (more advanced level of Healthcare Assistant in essence). Worked as an HCA for one year prior to that.

A Levels (2007): ABBa in English Lit, History, Music, Biology

GCSEs: 3A*s, 3As, 2Bs, 1C

I think I meet the criteria for 'non traditional applicant' pretty nicely :smile:. Will be very interested to see if I get an interview, hope teenage apathy and the subsequent poor grades don't ruin my chances! Best of luck to everyone anyway, anyone got any links to information relating to Durham interviews specifically? I have to say that Newcastle/Durham is the medical school I have done the least research into, I wasn't expecting to make the UKCAT cutoff.
Reply 78
I just got allocated Durham on track :biggrin: So hi fellow Durham applicants! :biggrin:
Reply 79
Can you intercalate at durham?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending