The Student Room Group

If you could live during any period, in any country...

Scroll to see replies

1940/50s america
mid 90s mogadishu
1930s germany
wild west
1950s soviet union
vietnam war as an american :biggrin:
present day japan
Rome b.c
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Oh. OK.

I'd bang Thomas and leave.

Shame he's gay.. complete waste!
(The actor, however.. :colone:)
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Shame he's gay.. complete waste!
(The actor, however.. :colone:)

When he kissed that guy I rewound it like four times ... :drool:
It's not much better in 2011 mate :colonhash:

Yeah, you're right. Things like medicine, equal rights, access to decent food and water, the ability to travel more freely, modern entertainment, etc. That all sucks.

People romanticize the past too much. Though I guess you can blame generations of historians focusing far too heavily on the 'elites' of societies for that.
Reply 44
Original post by concubine
Yeah, you're right. Things like medicine, equal rights, access to decent food and water, the ability to travel more freely, modern entertainment, etc. That all sucks.

Hehe. :ahee:

People romanticize the past...

An imagination will do that, as it would everything else, bygone or present.
Original post by concubine

Medicine and access to decent food and water? For how many of the global population though? Not nearly enough.

"Equal rights"? Did you not hear about Troy Davis? Racism and sexism still very much exist today.

Ability to travel more freely - the threat of terrorism has made airport checks more stringent, and there are hardly any cheap flights anymore. It's so difficult for a British person to get a US visa or the right to live in places like Australia.

Modern entertainment - The X Factor, Justin Bieber, crap CGI Hollywood films.

Yep, it's great living in 2011.
(edited 12 years ago)
Medicine and access to decent food and water? For how many of the global population though? Not nearly enough.

"Equal rights"? Did you not hear about Troy Davis? Racism and sexism still very much exist today.

Ability to travel more freely - the threat of terrorism has made airport checks more stringent, and there are hardly any cheap flights anymore. It's so difficult for a British person to get a US visa or the right to live in places like Australia.

Modern entertainment - The X Factor, Justin Bieber, crap CGI Hollywood films.

Yep, it's great living in 2011.

****yeah hyperbole. Obviously your mind is too set in its crazy way of thinking to acknowledge the reality of things, it's okay bb.
Always wanted to live in the Victorian times as one of the upper class people :chaplin:
During Adem and Eve era
During Christ and Muhammed era
During Moses and Noah era
Ancient Greece
Ancient Rome
Ancient Illyria
Ancient Egypt
Pelasgian era

1900s,1800s1960s,early 80s

but most all christ era, and pelasgian era.
Reply 49
Original post by NWA
20,000BC.

As a caveman, in Southern Africa. Doing what the hell i want, when the hell i want. No routine, no stress, no bull of modern day life.
Just me, my cave woman and my spear

The cave woman would probably be bitchy and ruin it.
Reply 50
Original post by notthegreatest
During Adem and Eve era
During Christ and Muhammed era
During Moses and Noah era

Ancient Greece
Ancient Rome
Ancient Illyria
Ancient Egypt
Pelasgian era

1900s,1800s1960s,early 80s

but most all christ era, and pelasgian era.

How about any of the Religious milestones place and time. You get to go with a digital recorder and a ticket back. We'll sort out all the bull**** one way or the other.
I would want to be born in about 60 BC, to a wealthy family in Rome. Then I would be 16 when Caesar got assasinated, would witness the civil war between Augustus and Mark Anthony, the foundation of the Roman Empire etc. Then in my early 50s move to the Roman province of Judaea, witness the birth of Jesus, then in about 10AD move to Athens and chill in Classical Greece for a while, before moving back to Judaea in about 30AD and hang out with Jesus and see his miracles. Then die at the old age of 95 in 35AD.
Reply 52
Medieval Europe, preferably Spain because of the knights, dragons, adventures, damsels in distress, castles, court music. Medieval times rule.
Reply 53
San Francisco 1967. No doubt about it.
Chicago in the 1950's, Mafia/Gang's, pin stripe suits, tommy guns, all thats cool stuff!
It'd be quite cool to go live on the plains of Africa. But I still want a house. Can I take my house and all my stuff to a time before imperialsim and just chill there for a bit?
Reply 56
7th century Arabia. The people at the time used to say that there was so much gold in the area that the people didn't know where to give their charities. People were also much kinder there
Reply 57
Late 1950s/Early 60s New York, as a white (politically unaware) male with a job in the advertising industry. *Note to self: You watch waaaay too much Mad Men. *
Reply 58
1950s, 1960s USA, Rock 'n' Roll and then Muscle Cars era - swell times, before all this nonsense…
or Wild West times, being a cowboy.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd love to have been in san francisco in the 1960's when acid was taking off

Quick Reply

Latest