The Student Room Group
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website

Anybody appying to New College Of the Humanities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Historophilia
This would actually be a very good idea.

I'm not sure there is a University in the UK that is solely for the Humanties, why should the scientists get one and not us :biggrin:

If I ever get rich I will actually pay them to do this. They would have to take the money in return for lowering fees if they really are just charging higher fees for adequate funding as opposed to trying to make a profit.
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by MWM
They say that 20% off students will receive financial aid, either a scholarship or an exhibition.

That doesn't change anything about nulli tertius' main point, though: for them to to be able to finance all those promised scholarships and exhibitions, the majority of students need to pay for their places. So the college might easily find itself in a tight spot if it turns out that the only applicants who actually decide to take up their offers are the people they had given scholarship offers to.
Reply 62
Original post by hobnob
That doesn't change anything about nulli tertius' main point, though: for them to to be able to finance all those promised scholarships and exhibitions, the majority of students need to pay for their places. So the college might easily find itself in a tight spot if it turns out that the only applicants who actually decide to take up their offers are the people they had given scholarship offers to.

Actually I am not sure whether they use the 18k to subsidies the scholarships and exhibitions or whether they have a separate trust for them. But I agree with the guy that said that most people will not go until they receive a scholarship or and exhibition, which does put the college in a strange financial position.
Original post by Computerised
If I ever get rich I will actually pay them to do this. They would have to take the money in return for lowering fees if they really are just charging higher fees for adequate funding as opposed to trying to make a profit.

You could get them to name the uni after you in that case :P

The rise in the fees is sort of an attempt to fill the funding gap for Unis from the Government, I'm not sure how effective that is going to be. Almost certainly won't save the tax payer any money.

I'm not opposed to some profits being made, you need to have some spare cash to invest in the Universities facilities, create new teaching posts etc. but obviously laying all of the burden on students isn't fair.
Reply 64
Original post by MWM
Actually I am not sure whether they use the 18k to subsidies the scholarships and exhibitions or whether they have a separate trust for them. But I agree with the guy that said that most people will not go until they receive a scholarship or and exhibition, which does put the college in a strange financial position.

Well, I suppose technically those scholarships and exhibitions are really just fee waivers / reductions, so they don't have to subsidise them as such. But they'll still need to get enough money coming in to sustain themselves, and that means attracting a sufficient number of people who are actually willing (let alone able) to pay £18,000 a year - and presumably without a fees loan.
Original post by hobnob
Well, I suppose technically those scholarships and exhibitions are really just fee waivers / reductions, so they don't have to subsidise them as such. But they'll still need to get enough money coming in to sustain themselves, and that means attracting a sufficient number of people who are actually willing (let alone able) to pay £18,000 a year - and presumably without a fees loan.

Have they published their plans for their financial future anywhere? They've been a bit quiet lately, or at least I've not stumbled across them.
They seem like a very interesting place. I would consider it, if they did Medicine.

Seriously, why isn't Dawkins teaching Biology though?
Reply 67
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Have they published their plans for their financial future anywhere? They've been a bit quiet lately, or at least I've not stumbled across them.

Not as far as I know... All I remember are the huffy comments by Grayling that they weren't going to 'make millions' from this and he was offended by suggestions that it was all about profits, but that's not exactly very clear, is it?:erm:
Reply 68
Original post by AspiringGenius
They seem like a very interesting place. I would consider it, if they did Medicine.

Seriously, why isn't Dawkins teaching Biology though?

Erm... which part of 'humanities' did you not understand, then?:erm:
Original post by hobnob
Not as far as I know... All I remember are the huffy comments by Grayling that they weren't going to 'make millions' from this and he was offended by suggestions that it was all about profits, but that's not exactly very clear, is it?:erm:

If it hadn't been for people on here having interviews, I'd have thought the idea had faded away. I look forward to hearing how it all pans out.
Original post by hobnob
Erm... which part of 'humanities' did you not understand, then?:erm:

Well, even so. I don't understand why Darwin would be part of this to teach philosophy when he is one of the worlds best biologists.
Reply 71
Well, even so.

What do you mean, 'even so'? The whole point of the college is to teach humanities subjects only.
I don't understand why Darwin would be part of this to teach philosophy when he is one of the worlds best biologists.

I think the reason why Darwin won't be teaching biology is that he's a little too dead.:p:
Reply 72
If it hadn't been for people on here having interviews, I'd have thought the idea had faded away. I look forward to hearing how it all pans out.

:ditto: After all that initial fuss they've gone surprisingly quiet. Which is a bit odd, because surely it ought to be in their best interest to remind people of their existence (if you can call it that) now, while they're doing their applications?
Original post by hobnob
What do you mean, 'even so'? The whole point of the college is to teach humanities subjects only.

Yeah I get that, :smile:

I think the reason why Darwin won't be teaching biology is that he's a little too dead.:p:

You know I meant dawkins :lol:
Original post by hobnob
:ditto: After all that initial fuss they've gone surprisingly quiet. Which is a bit odd, because surely it ought to be in their best interest to remind people of their existence (if you can call it that) now, while they're doing their applications?

Absolutely right. I'm sensing a bit of a climb down on the quiet.
Reply 75
You know I meant dawkins :lol:

Well, it's not my field, so I'm not really in a position to judge this myself, but according to a biologist friend of mine he's far from being one of the world's best biologists and hasn't really written anything of any significance since The Selfish Gene.:dontknow: And most of his media fame seems to have come through the whole atheism lark, so I suppose it made sense to them because of that.

I wonder if they are having "talks".

A merger with an established private college would give them infrastructure and administration. They would give enormous academic credibility to the London School of Immigration and Visa Studies.

Given that it it now mid November, they still lack two major attributes. They do not yet appear to have premises and they do not yet have Tier 4 immigration sponsor status.

Moreover, unless the the rules are bent, it is difficult to see how an entirely new HE institution can get this status. There is a mechanism for a new independent school to get accredited but there is no similar mechanism for HE providers. An HE provider has to have a QAA audit to be a sponsor and NCH has nothing yet to audit
Dawkins will be professor of evolutionary biology for the science literacy course part of the New College diploma, where are you getting this philosophy thing from?
Original post by nulli tertius
I wonder if they are having "talks".

A merger with an established private college would give them infrastructure and administration. They would give enormous academic credibility to the London School of Immigration and Visa Studies.

Given that it it now mid November, they still lack two major attributes. They do not yet appear to have premises and they do not yet have Tier 4 immigration sponsor status.

Moreover, unless the the rules are bent, it is difficult to see how an entirely new HE institution can get this status. There is a mechanism for a new independent school to get accredited but there is no similar mechanism for HE providers. An HE provider has to have a QAA audit to be a sponsor and NCH has nothing yet to audit

I'm getting a strong sense of all mouth and no trousers (or possibly fur coat and no knickers.) Whichever scrambled sartorial metaphor is appropriate, I think it's dead in the water. (All smoke and mirrors? I'm in a metaphorical mood tonight!)
Reply 79
I'm getting a strong sense of all mouth and no trousers (or possibly fur coat and no knickers.) Whichever scrambled sartorial metaphor is appropriate, I think it's dead in the water. (All smoke and mirrors? I'm in a metaphorical mood tonight!)

Smoke, mirrors and a swishy hairstyle.:wink:

Quick Reply