The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Winchester 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
I think it's because there are a lot of students stuyding things like drama which tend to be mostly females, and not many subjects that tend to be mostly males. I know it's stereotyping, but if you look at the range of subjects they offer, they are mostly art/humanities.

The city is small, which may be good or bad as far as you're concerned, expensive, but beautiful. Especially around Christmas - my mum used to love coming to visit and listening to the Salvation Army band playing in the high street :smile:

Yeah, I've noticed they don't offer maths or sciences :s-smilie:

It sounds a lovely place though ^^
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
I think it's because there are a lot of students stuyding things like drama which tend to be mostly females, and not many subjects that tend to be mostly males. I know it's stereotyping, but if you look at the range of subjects they offer, they are mostly art/humanities.

The city is small, which may be good or bad as far as you're concerned, expensive, but beautiful. Especially around Christmas - my mum used to love coming to visit and listening to the Salvation Army band playing in the high street :smile:

Oh right I see aha, well I guess that's not too bad, I'm applying to study Law. Do you know if the Law school students are a good mix?

That sounds so lovely! Sounds like a lovely place! :smile:
Original post by Jabberwox
Wow well done to her! :biggrin: :biggrin: I'm on a gap year too and have applied for English, but haven't heard anything from Winchester yet. Yeah I've heard that it's mainly girls there too :smile:

Thanks Jabberwox. If you've applied for an English Lit course as opposed to Eng Lang studies, I'm guessing the departments are probably not the same, so offers probably sent out at different times. Hopefully they'll put everyone out of their misery soon. Good luck with all your choices.
Original post by Winterbells
Unconditional offer received (by my daughter) for Winchester (she's on a gap year) for English Language studies. UCAS form sent in early November, offer received 10th November at 3.30pm (no acknowlegment email/letter). She has 2 A2's and 2AS's (A*,A, a, c). Winchester sounds really lovely, although it sounds like the gender mix is rather unbalanced? Anyway, just thought I'd share this info in case it gives hope and good luck to you all. :smile:

I applied for English Language studies. Heard nothing yet.:frown:
Original post by Beebumble
I applied for English Language studies. Heard nothing yet.:frown:

Chin up, though. My daughter already had her results, so she'd be a quick one for them to make a decision about. Assuming you're applying with predicted grades, rather than actual ones.... there's still plenty to hope for. Fingers crossed for you. :smile:
I was playing it safe, and because I live in South Wales, I was going to only apply for Cardiff/Swansea Universities..
On a whim, I deleted 2 Welsh Universities and have just added Winchester as one of my choices!
Ahhh I'm scared!! :eek:
Reply 46
Applying for Law. Although it is one of my 'safer' options, I am actually in love with the campus, even more so than my first choice :smile:
Reply 47
Got the acknowledgement email through today, but they did say they might take till after Jan 2012 to decide. I have a nasty feeling Winchester's going to be a while... :frown:
I've had a conditional offer to do English Literature :smile:
This is my fall back so I'm very relieved!
Reply 49
Had an unconditional offer today !! ^^ woooooo :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by Alexandria:)
I've had a conditional offer to do English Literature :smile:
This is my fall back so I'm very relieved!

Had an unconditional offer today !! ^^ woooooo :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done both of you! :biggrin: I'm uber jealous!
Reply 51
Original post by codle
Well done both of you! :biggrin: I'm uber jealous!

Thank you :biggrin: it's ok, they sent the notification quite early today (around 12ish) so I'm guessing mine was maybe on top of the pile or something. I reckon you'll be hearing from them pretty soon :smile: :smile: good luck!! x
Reply 52
Thank you :biggrin: it's ok, they sent the notification quite early today (around 12ish) so I'm guessing mine was maybe on top of the pile or something. I reckon you'll be hearing from them pretty soon :smile: :smile: good luck!! x

Thanks! They probably won't let me know for a while though, my school haven't sent off my application yet... Could be sometime this week but it might be a few weeks, my referee has been mucking me about! Ah well, at least I've done my bit. Really hope I get an offer from Winchester though, I loved it at the open day!
280 points conditional offer for BA Archaeology :smile: can't decide whether to have it as first choice or have it as insurance if dont get into liverpool, ahhh!
Reply 54
Original post by YogaintheWoods
280 points conditional offer for BA Archaeology :smile: can't decide whether to have it as first choice or have it as insurance if dont get into liverpool, ahhh!

Yayy well done :biggrin:

Whoever negged this, kindly explain why? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Got an offer for Drama & English :biggrin:
Original post by YogaintheWoods

I know a few people who did Archaeology and enjoyed it :smile:
Reply 57
Got a conditional offer for Journalism Studies and Media Production yesterday! :biggrin: So happy because it's my first choice!
Original post by followmeup
Got a conditional offer for Journalism Studies and Media Production yesterday! :biggrin: So happy because it's my first choice!

Congrats! :smile:
When did you send off your ucas application?
Reply 59
Anyone else had problems booking a post-application Open Day? I tried doing so with my username and ID on the letter but it said there are no spaces available. I emailed the university about it and they told me they aren't taking any bookings until January.

Just letting everyone know as a precaution :smile: confusing though, because it didn't say wait till January on the letter...

Quick Reply