The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Master S P
Can you intercalate at durham?

I think all the intercalations (BSc or MRes) occur in Newcastle; after the first 2 preclinical years, you'll no longer be associated with Durham University.
Reply 81
When do internationals get interviewed? Anyone know?

p.s. Good luck to all Durham/Newcastle applicants with an interview :biggrin:
I also just got allocated Durham on track :smile:

Can someone tell me a little bit about the Durham interview style?

(I don't actually have an interview yet, just wishful thinking :rolleyes:)

I attended an open day at Newcastle (Then later decided to opt for either campus on my application) and was told virtually nothing about the course at Durham, so any info would be appreciated.

Reply 83
I had my Durham interview yesterday. It's a very friendly, informal chat with two people. It lasts approx 40 minutes.

They don't know ANYTHING about you - apart from your name. They haven't looked at your personal statement, they haven't looked at your UCAS application.
They jump straight into the classic interview questions ("why would you make a good doctor?") and mix it up with a few ethical questions.
Reply 84
Original post by islanders
I had my Durham interview yesterday. It's a very friendly, informal chat with two people. It lasts approx 40 minutes.

They don't know ANYTHING about you - apart from your name. They haven't looked at your personal statement, they haven't looked at your UCAS application.
They jump straight into the classic interview questions ("why would you make a good doctor?") and mix it up with a few ethical questions.

Well done on your interview! I guess it went well. :smile:
Reply 85
hi guys I have a quick question.

I was allocated Durham on track a few days ago, and they sent me an email saying that my application would be sent to the relevant department, and then on to the college that I had chosen....but I haven't chosen a college :confused: I'm so confused. What should I do?
Reply 86
Original post by Med_Geek

I was allocated Durham on track a few days ago, and they sent me an email saying that my application would be sent to the relevant department, and then on to the college that I had chosen....but I haven't chosen a college :confused: I'm so confused. What should I do?

Hmm, not sure on this one, you'd best phone the admission to be sure. However, I do know that you get to choose which college (John Snow or Stephenson) once you receive the interview email/letter.
Reply 87
Original post by Panda89
Hmm, not sure on this one, you'd best phone the admission to be sure. However, I do know that you get to choose which college (John Snow or Stephenson) once you receive the interview email/letter.

Ahh okay thank you :smile:

Don't worry, I got the same email (thought it was an interview :rolleyes:). I think it says that you only choose a college after you get an offer.

Durham Admissions
3. If your department decides that you are to receive an offer, your application will be forwarded to a college. If you have stated a college preference your application will go to that college for consideration. If you have not stated a preference, a college will be allocated for you.
Reply 89
Applied to durham, and just got an interview - please can anyone tell me what to expect? I know its a 40 minute, 2 panel jobbie, but is it really formal with proper grilling or more informal and relaxed?
Had a chat with my college tutor today - i was feeling really excited and she just instilled THE FEAR! so that was fun....
But yeah, any words of wisdom and experience would be great? :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Normandy114
Don't worry, I got the same email (thought it was an interview :rolleyes:). I think it says that you only choose a college after you get an offer.

They have colleges? :s-smilie:
Reply 91
Original post by bobmullins
Applied to durham, and just got an interview - please can anyone tell me what to expect? I know its a 40 minute, 2 panel jobbie, but is it really formal with proper grilling or more informal and relaxed?
Had a chat with my college tutor today - i was feeling really excited and she just instilled THE FEAR! so that was fun....
But yeah, any words of wisdom and experience would be great? :smile:

Have a look at what islandes said on this page.

They have colleges? :s-smilie:

Durham University has colleges, yes. Only two happen to be in Queen's Campus, Stockton: John Snow and Stephenson.
Reply 92
Original post by Panda89
Have a look at what islandes said on this page.

Durham University has colleges, yes. Only two happen to be in Queen's Campus, Stockton: John Snow and Stephenson.

Oooh, how are they different? and how many students in each?
Reply 93
Oooh, how are they different? and how many students in each?

Have a look on Durham's website and you'll know. :smile:
Reply 94
People with interviews, what are your stats/Ukcat out of interest?
Original post by Daave92
People with interviews, what are your stats/Ukcat out of interest?

Look at the stalking page, Daisymay93, Einy, Islanders and shortclaw have 692.5, 742.5, 745 and 680 respectively.
Reply 96
Interviews are based purely on UKCAT - nothing else.

680 seems to be the cut off this year (or there abouts)
Reply 97
Original post by Normandy114

Ok cool :smile: (sorry I neg repped you by accident!! Was supposed to click on the positive rep! :O I'll rep you on your profile :smile: )
Ok cool :smile: (sorry I neg repped you by accident!! Was supposed to click on the positive rep! :O I'll rep you on your profile :smile: )

Haha I was wondering why I got neg rep for it, twice that's happened in a couple days now :rolleyes:
Reply 99
Hey guys, just been trying to fill in a bit of time by looking into the Colleges at the Stockton campus. Honestly I can't see much to distinguish one from the other, what are other peoples thoughts/preferences?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending