The Student Room Group

Ucas 2012 Actuarial Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Nicholasng925
Thanks CloClo7! Congrats for you offer from Kent! :biggrin: Which university are you going to put as firm and insurance then?

I don't know! If Kent and UEA end up with the same offer, I'll have to choose one as my firm, with Heriot Watt as insurance. But I like them both, and HW doesn't have the industry year (plus its 4 years as it is). And its ages away, even though I really like the look of it on the internet.

Going between UEA and Kent is going to be so difficult :frown:
Original post by CloClo7
I don't know! If Kent and UEA end up with the same offer, I'll have to choose one as my firm, with Heriot Watt as insurance. But I like them both, and HW doesn't have the industry year (plus its 4 years as it is). And its ages away, even though I really like the look of it on the internet.

I think Kent would be better in this case, cause Kent offers a maximum number of 8 exemptions from Core Technical Stage papers whilst UEA only offers maximum number of 7 exemptions. Not sure about the environments around though since I'd never been to any of them.
Reply 62
I got offers from Heriot Watt and Cass !! Still waiting for UEA,Kent and Southampton though.. But pumped that I have at least 2 offers which i needed !!
Reply 63
Original post by CloClo7

Go for Kent !! My cousin works as an actuary in London and she said Kent is much more recognized than UEA..
QUB offer
Reply 65
I think Kent would be better in this case, cause Kent offers a maximum number of 8 exemptions from Core Technical Stage papers whilst UEA only offers maximum number of 7 exemptions. Not sure about the environments around though since I'd never been to any of them.

UEA should get the 8th in the next year or so though apparently....thats something to ask about on my applicant day. At the moment the overriding factor is I can just (if I don't eat!) afford an ensuite at UEA, the maintainance I'll be getting doesn't even cover cheapest shared-bathroom accomodation at Kent. But student finance will be a nightmare for me anyway, my dads job is at risk, so whilst when I apply for finance my household income will be one thing, it is likely to be less than half that by the time I got to university. :frown:

The decision will probably be down to finance (if the offers are the same)....
Original post by CloClo7
UEA should get the 8th in the next year or so though apparently....thats something to ask about on my applicant day. At the moment the overriding factor is I can just (if I don't eat!) afford an ensuite at UEA, the maintainance I'll be getting doesn't even cover cheapest shared-bathroom accomodation at Kent. But student finance will be a nightmare for me anyway, my dads job is at risk, so whilst when I apply for finance my household income will be one thing, it is likely to be less than half that by the time I got to university. :frown:

The decision will probably be down to finance (if the offers are the same)....

Well I suppose you shall prioritise what is more important for you then. UEA wouldn't be too bad if you really do not have much choice after considering every factor! Anyway, good luck to you in getting all the offers! Be wise in making decisions, and never look back afterwards! You can work out everything, just be confident! :h:
Reply 67
Well I suppose you shall prioritise what is more important for you then. UEA wouldn't be too bad if you really do not have much choice after considering every factor! Anyway, good luck to you in getting all the offers! Be wise in making decisions, and never look back afterwards! You can work out everything, just be confident! :h:

We'll just wait and see I suppose, will head to look at them both again during christmas....and then pick a random one out of a hat if I'm still not sure :tongue:
Original post by CloClo7
We'll just wait and see I suppose, will head to look at them both again during christmas....and then pick a random one out of a hat if I'm still not sure :tongue:

I bet you will be able to figure out which university to choose by then! :biggrin: For me, I'm having similar dilemma as well. I have Warwick's MMORSE or City's Actuarial Science as my firm, and LSE or Heriot-Watt as my insurance (still waiting for LSE though). My AS grade for Maths wasn't that great, considering my percentile (92) was dangerously close to percentile of getting A* (90).

Both MMORSE and Actuarial Science at City need A* in Maths, so if I were to put MMORSE as my firm, I better consider to take AEA Maths since with Merit in AEA Maths, I would only need AAA with A in Maths. Really hope my sponsor will allow me to go for MMORSE. :s-smilie:
Reply 69
Original post by matthew769
QUB offer

congrats!
Offers from Cass and from Kent!! So happy right now, both for Actuarial Science :biggrin: Now just waiting on LSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Indifferent
Offers from Cass and from Kent!! So happy right now, both for Actuarial Science :biggrin: Now just waiting on LSE.

I'm waiting for Actuarial Science at LSE too!!! :h:
Reply 72
I bet you will be able to figure out which university to choose by then! :biggrin: For me, I'm having similar dilemma as well. I have Warwick's MMORSE or City's Actuarial Science as my firm, and LSE or Heriot-Watt as my insurance (still waiting for LSE though). My AS grade for Maths wasn't that great, considering my percentile (92) was dangerously close to percentile of getting A* (90).

Both MMORSE and Actuarial Science at City need A* in Maths, so if I were to put MMORSE as my firm, I better consider to take AEA Maths since with Merit in AEA Maths, I would only need AAA with A in Maths. Really hope my sponsor will allow me to go for MMORSE. :s-smilie:

I'm not firming City, mainly cos I'm avoiding London. I wish I'd possibly applied to LSE instead of Southampton though, but my GCSEs weren't brilliant due to personal circumstances.
Heriot Watt will probably end up being my insurance though :smile:
Original post by CloClo7
I'm not firming City, mainly cos I'm avoiding London. I wish I'd possibly applied to LSE instead of Southampton though, but my GCSEs weren't brilliant due to personal circumstances.
Heriot Watt will probably end up being my insurance though :smile:

Why are you avoiding London? Are you staying in London now? :biggrin: I quite like Heriot-Watt actually, since it's one of the top universities for Actuarial Science besides City and LSE. But my dad advised me not to go Scotland cause the weather is too cold in relative to England. Hmm... but still if I failed to get offer from LSE, I might want to consider to put Heriot-Watt as my insurance too.
Reply 74
Why are you avoiding London? Are you staying in London now? :biggrin: I quite like Heriot-Watt actually, since it's one of the top universities for Actuarial Science besides City and LSE. But my dad advised me not to go Scotland cause the weather is too cold in relative to England. Hmm... but still if I failed to get offer from LSE, I might want to consider to put Heriot-Watt as my insurance too.

I just wouldn't want to live there. I like it occasionally for a day or so, but its so busy. My reasoning is I'm most likely gonna end up in quite a busy, built-up city for work, so I'd like to spend a little longer somewhere more green.
I wouldn't mind the cold...the warmer autumn has been annoying me, I love cold walks, and then snuggling up with a cup of tea. The only thing about Heriot Watt is the distance, but tbh Kent takes ages, and UEA is still a good couple of hours, so I'd just have to make sure I'd have enough for flights if I needed to get home :smile:

I've been told, several times, that LSE isn't brilliant for Actuarial Science...apparently Kent, City and Heriot Watt are the top three (was told this by all universities I visited, not just those ones, and by working actuaries that I've contacted).
Original post by CloClo7
I just wouldn't want to live there. I like it occasionally for a day or so, but its so busy. My reasoning is I'm most likely gonna end up in quite a busy, built-up city for work, so I'd like to spend a little longer somewhere more green.
I wouldn't mind the cold...the warmer autumn has been annoying me, I love cold walks, and then snuggling up with a cup of tea. The only thing about Heriot Watt is the distance, but tbh Kent takes ages, and UEA is still a good couple of hours, so I'd just have to make sure I'd have enough for flights if I needed to get home :smile:

I've been told, several times, that LSE isn't brilliant for Actuarial Science...apparently Kent, City and Heriot Watt are the top three (was told this by all universities I visited, not just those ones, and by working actuaries that I've contacted).

Yeah, London is most probably the busiest city in the UK. Having stayed in Kuala Lumpur (the capital city of Malaysia), I somehow prefer to study in a campus university with more greenery around too. That's why I opt for Warwick's MMORSE instead.

Why is LSE not that brilliant for Actuarial Science? What I heard from people around is that, LSE is good for Actuarial Science too, but since lots of their graduates eventually go on to pursue different careers such as finance, investment banking, economics and so on, LSE is not considered as good as City and Heriot-Watt to prepare students straight into actuarial profession.
Reply 76
Yeah, London is most probably the busiest city in the UK. Having stayed in Kuala Lumpur (the capital city of Malaysia), I somehow prefer to study in a campus university with more greenery around too. That's why I opt for Warwick's MMORSE instead.

Why is LSE not that brilliant for Actuarial Science? What I heard from people around is that, LSE is good for Actuarial Science too, but since lots of their graduates eventually go on to pursue different careers such as finance, investment banking, economics and so on, LSE is not considered as good as City and Heriot-Watt to prepare students straight into actuarial profession.

What I've heard is that LSE Actuarial graduates aren't generally as competant as those from other universities (this is coming from employers). For me, I'm dead set on becoming an actuary (investment preferably) so a course like Heriot Watt or Kent is better for me :smile:
Original post by CloClo7
What I've heard is that LSE Actuarial graduates aren't generally as competant as those from other universities (this is coming from employers). For me, I'm dead set on becoming an actuary (investment preferably) so a course like Heriot Watt or Kent is better for me :smile:

Wow this is shocking! you meant Heriot-Watt is better than LSE in this case? I should't really put HW off my choice. I'm kind of interested in finance and investment (within actuarial scope) too, although General Insurance also contains very dense mathematics in its syllabus.
Reply 78
Off to Kent for a few days in a couple of weeks, for applicant day and a general look around - maybe I'll make up my mind by then! Wish I hadn't applied for Southampton and left it blank, then could've added a wild card in at the last minute. But oh well....
Reply 79
I haven't got any word from Southampton, UEA and Kent. So far only Cass and Heriot Watt. Heriot Watt would be my insurance, but I don't want City as my firm. I prefer Kent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending