The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2400
Original post by Hackett
You sure squirt?

You've no idea :colone:
Original post by law-bug
You've no idea :colone:

hahah to be fair - I'm applying for Durham aswell, I wouldn't worry to much about the degree. Some areas of trading, i.e the more exotic products do require quantative degrees, but spot FX, vanilla equities etc. tend to be open to all degrees.
Reply 2402
Original post by Hackett
hahah to be fair - I'm applying for Durham aswell, I wouldn't worry to much about the degree. Some areas of trading, i.e the more exotic products do require quantative degrees, but spot FX, vanilla equities etc. tend to be open to all degrees.

Agree entirely; maths is probably needed for very short term day trading but my style is like, 5 trades a month :biggrin:
Original post by law-bug
A*A*A* predicted in economics, biology , geography, got a B at AS maths.

Durham Bsc Geography

However, not to sound up myself, but I have learned how to trade; I am consistently profiting and know how to make money- I trade daily charts on currency pairs and have put several thousand hours over the last 3 years into forex.

If I show them account statements showing my trading ability, along with a top degree, would that compensate for lack of mathematical aptitude? I am seriously passionate about trading, i'd put money on it that i'm more passionate about trading than 99% of the people on this thread.

In the grand scheme of things, that's not a top degree. But its doable, especially if you reign in the ego :wink:
Original post by law-bug
A*A*A* predicted in economics, biology , geography, got a B at AS maths.

Durham Bsc Geography

However, not to sound up myself, but I have learned how to trade; I am consistently profiting and know how to make money- I trade daily charts on currency pairs and have put several thousand hours over the last 3 years into forex.

If I show them account statements showing my trading ability, along with a top degree, would that compensate for lack of mathematical aptitude? I am seriously passionate about trading, i'd put money on it that i'm more passionate about trading than 99% of the people on this thread.

lol

Dont you worry, they'll grill the **** out of you in interviews if you told them all of that. No need for proof, just answer their questions and you'll be fine :wink:

Why Geography then?
Reply 2405
Is A B.A in Economics and Politics from Nottingham University, good enough? or would you advise to do a masters at a top 6 uni?
Original post by mcfc2009

Is A B.A in Economics and Politics from Nottingham University, good enough? or would you advise to do a masters at a top 6 uni?

Decide about the masters when you get to the later stages of your degree. I assume you are applying/just started? If so, focus on Spring Weeks/Summer Internships/Making some contacts and if you find at the end of your degree you haven't made it yet, then consider applying for a masters at a top 6.

Nottingham is a pretty decent uni though and probably a "semi-target" so you could be in a worse position!
Reply 2407
where is the best palce you would say to do a masters in the U.K? Oxford?

where is the best palce you would say to do a masters in the U.K? Oxford?

Depends on a lot of things, obviously Oxbridge will put you in a good position, but some people prefer the London unis (LSE,Imperial,UCL) as they are in the city and can give good networking opportunities. Also, Warwick is a good one to consider.

But you would have to check which uni has the masters that you want to study and make sure you like the place before handing over a large sum of money and a year+ of your life.
Reply 2409

Yes. You just need to make sure you are good enough.
If you get an offer when you graduate, you're good enough. If you don't then do a masters.
Reply 2410
Hello guy's.

I got 4A* 6A 1B at GCSE and i'm studying biology, chemistry, maths and economics at AS.

I'm just wondering what kind of degree's IB/consultancy would look for and what grade requirements are?

Just as much info as you can give me please :smile:
Original post by fletchdd02
Hello guy's.

I got 4A* 6A 1B at GCSE and i'm studying biology, chemistry, maths and economics at AS.

I'm just wondering what kind of degree's IB/consultancy would look for and what grade requirements are?

Just as much info as you can give me please :smile:

Well medicine is probably not going to cut it...
Reply 2412
Original post by fargo89

why not?
Reply 2413
Original post by fargo89

I'm looking at options,

Anyway, many business jobs favour a medicine degree because it requires 2 of the hardest A levels to enter the course, all applicants will have 3 As plus tonnes of EC's and voluntary work. Furthermore, it deals with many different people in different environments, extremely stressful environment.
I'm looking at options,

Anyway, many business jobs favour a medicine degree because it requires 2 of the hardest A levels to enter the course, all applicants will have 3 As plus tonnes of EC's and voluntary work. Furthermore, it deals with many different people in different environments, extremely stressful environment.

That's rubbish anyway. Plenty of medics work in IB/Consulting. Though it's probably not the easiest degree to do just to get into those fields.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2415
Original post by BigFudamental
That's rubbish anyway. Plenty of medics work in IB/Consulting. Though it's probably not the easiest degree to do just to get into those fields.

I know it's not,

It's a very versatile degree though.
I know it's not,

It's a very versatile degree though.

be perpared for the inevitable questions in interview regarding degree choice though
Reply 2417
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
be perpared for the inevitable questions in interview regarding degree choice though

Yeah, I think people have got the wrong end of the stick here.

I was on here looking at other degree choices to medicine, suitable for IB.

I am not planning on pursuing IB if I am lucky enough to get into medicine.
Yeah, I think people have got the wrong end of the stick here.

I was on here looking at other degree choices to medicine, suitable for IB.

I am not planning on pursuing IB if I am lucky enough to get into medicine.

maths/physics/chemical engineering are good versatile degrees as well
I'm looking at options,

Sorry - my answer was a bit glib.

Of course medicine would be an acceptable degree but it seems like a lot of effort to go to if your intention is not to enter the medical profession.

For IB, just about any course is acceptable (being at Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial is preferable) but it might be best to lean towards subject such as mathematics, economics, engineering, finance, etc as these are the most rigorously numerical.

Quick Reply