The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
Does anyone know what the chances of me being able to move into a different LFA group simply because the one I'm in happens at a really inconvenient time are?

...I'm starting to think I'm not quite clever enough to do any of the work I've been set.

you aren't the only one. a gap year has destroyed my brain cells
University of York
York
Reply 2661
Does anyone know what the chances of me being able to move into a different LFA group simply because the one I'm in happens at a really inconvenient time are?

Don't worry about it.

There's usually some scope to move around once the course starts.

...I'm starting to think I'm not quite clever enough to do any of the work I've been set.

Just wanted to say I love your sig! I used to follow that blog every day, I went to see Joey Comeau do a reading in London once and it was really really cool. I've never come across anyone else who'd seen it, I'd sort of forgotten about it.
I think I may actually understand my syntax module now, which makes me feel significantly more positive about my course in general. Just thought I'd share that bit of information with the Internet.

Except I'm fairly sure one of the questions is actually impossible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Finally got back on here, some pretty huge feelings of nostalgia over all my UCAS posts 8 months ago. :smile:

The law fair today was worth going to, I literally have my own weight in sweets, pens and other freebies. Successful day all round, I think. Course is meh, but thats freshers jitters. How you guys finding the first month at uni?
Original post by Shiny Happy Person
Finally got back on here, some pretty huge feelings of nostalgia over all my UCAS posts 8 months ago. :smile:

The law fair today was worth going to, I literally have my own weight in sweets, pens and other freebies. Successful day all round, I think. Course is meh, but thats freshers jitters. How you guys finding the first month at uni?

What kind of freebies did they have at the Law Fair today? It's the only one I missed. The last one (Science and Technology) was meh in terms of freebies so I thought it's not worth the effort. :biggrin:

I'm not very happy with my course either. What are you studying?
The law fair today was worth going to, I literally have my own weight in sweets, pens and other freebies.

Ah, I meant to go to the law fair but I totally forgot. Oh well.

Course is meh, but thats freshers jitters. How you guys finding the first month at uni?

:| What are you studying? My course is slightly meh too, but in the best way possible.

The first month has been...mixed, to say the least. I've had some really good times and met some great people and there's been some absolutely awful times as well :biggrin: It's better than I thought it'd be though :smile: How have you found it so far?

What are you studying? My course is slightly meh too, but in the best way possible.

I'm studying Law, and I have the same feelings. Quite a lot of the course is really enjoyable, and some of it is less so.:smile:

The first month has actually been pretty good, with standard self doubt creeping in, but nothing massively awful happening to me. :biggrin: I've met a whole load of people too, and its been better than i expected. Overall, it's been really enjoyable.

There was a whole load of freebies at the law fair, mugs, pens, sweets and paper. So we grabbed quite a lot of swag. :cool:
The only freebie I could have used was a mug, but I already have one from Bloomberg from the Science and Tech fair so it's not a big loss. Thanks for the info!
I'm studying Law, and I have the same feelings. Quite a lot of the course is really enjoyable, and some of it is less so.:smile:

The first month has actually been pretty good, with standard self doubt creeping in, but nothing massively awful happening to me. :biggrin: I've met a whole load of people too, and its been better than i expected. Overall, it's been really enjoyable.

There was a whole load of freebies at the law fair, mugs, pens, sweets and paper. So we grabbed quite a lot of swag. :cool:

At least you're enjoying some of it, I guess :tongue: Linguistics is pretty enjoyable, to be fair - I just don't love it in the way that some people love their subjects.

I'm just gonna take this opportunity to say how much I ****ing hate Salvation. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion and maybe my flat have just had terrible luck with it, but there you go.
At least you're enjoying some of it, I guess :tongue: Linguistics is pretty enjoyable, to be fair - I just don't love it in the way that some people love their subjects.

I'm just gonna take this opportunity to say how much I ****ing hate Salvation. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion and maybe my flat have just had terrible luck with it, but there you go.

Yeah, I feel better about the course now, but I don't have the passion that others exhibit about their respective courses. :wink:

Haha, I like salvation, but the bouncers don't appear to understand the concept of "overcrowding" too well. Haven't been to Willow yet though, so I still have some decency left. :biggrin:
Yeah, I feel better about the course now, but I don't have the passion that others exhibit about their respective courses. :wink:

Haha, I like salvation, but the bouncers don't appear to understand the concept of "overcrowding" too well. Haven't been to Willow yet though, so I still have some decency left. :biggrin:

HOW have you NOT BEEN TO WILLOW YET and in what way does this improve your decency? I'm sorry, I just don't understand.

I know the feeling :biggrin: Maybe Linguistics isn't a thing you can obsess over like Music or History. Hmm.

They really don't :biggrin: But maybe I don't like it because my flat have really really bad luck with it - the first time we went we queued for an hour for a drink and then I got elbowed in the mouth and stood around bleeding for two hours :tongue: and the next two times my flatmates went they ended up in A&E both times (head injury and a broken nose) and then this Tuesday some drunk guy (who followed me and my flatmate for about 45 minutes even though we obviously kept trying to lose him) knocked my phone out of my hand and it's going to cost a fair bit to get the glass screen repaired because it's completely cracked. YOU'RE MORE TROUBLE THAN YOU'RE WORTH, SALVATION.

I haven't been to Willow yet :redface: I kind of want to just to see what it's like. I think Reflex is pretty much my favourite place, though :biggrin: I know more of the music there than in other places.
aww, i went to Willow the other week, one of my friends had a *bit* too much to drink... the free prawn crackers are my favourite part about Willow, that and their amazing music, like playing 'you can't stop the beat' from Hairspray and the Grease Medley :smile:
I know the feeling :biggrin: Maybe Linguistics isn't a thing you can obsess over like Music or History. Hmm.

They really don't :biggrin: But maybe I don't like it because my flat have really really bad luck with it - the first time we went we queued for an hour for a drink and then I got elbowed in the mouth and stood around bleeding for two hours :tongue: and the next two times my flatmates went they ended up in A&E both times (head injury and a broken nose) and then this Tuesday some drunk guy (who followed me and my flatmate for about 45 minutes even though we obviously kept trying to lose him) knocked my phone out of my hand and it's going to cost a fair bit to get the glass screen repaired because it's completely cracked. YOU'RE MORE TROUBLE THAN YOU'RE WORTH, SALVATION.

I haven't been to Willow yet :redface: I kind of want to just to see what it's like. I think Reflex is pretty much my favourite place, though :biggrin: I know more of the music there than in other places.

noooooo, Reflex is horrendous! It's full of creepy old men, ew ew ew.

Salvation, Ziggys and Willow are the best York nights out IMO. Gallery's utter ****, Tokyo's even worse and Revs is just... Revs. Pretending to be a club but not actually being one. But what do I know, I'm now a third year and halcyon days of going out all the time are well and truly behind me :emo:
Reply 2675
I'm not really a fan of Reflex either, though my flatmates like it so we end up there quite a bit but never stay long. Salvation and Revs are pretty good fun and so was Ziggys (Mansion) but have only been there once back in freshers week so far :P Not too fussed about Tokyo but they have some decent events on and we have got free entry with our Alcuin wristbands a few times so not all bad :P

Willow is just great. But you probably need to be drunk or plan to get very drunk quickly to make the most of it.. Sunday to Thursday it's £2 entry (cheaper than most clubs in York) and shots (sourz, tequila or sambucca) for a quid.. So makes it pretty easy to get very drunk. Oh and the prawn crackers are just awesome :biggrin:

Going up to Newcastle in the next couple of weekends where it is supposed to be ridiculously cheap and so much better so will probably make me pretty depressed about the state of York's nightlife tbh.. :P
I like Willow, it's cheap :biggrin:

My flat just had the "who do we all want to live with next year, then?" talk and now everything is a little bit awkward. Hmm.
My flat just had the "who do we all want to live with next year, then?" talk and now everything is a little bit awkward. Hmm.

We haven't had it yet, but there are some people that already know they want to live together. I'm not looking forward to it though 'cause it's gonna be awkward. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
It's too earlyyyyyy to be doing that, seriously! If you lot start turning up for viewings at my house this term I ain't gonna be impressed :awesome:
Original post by sebastian.a
We haven't had it yet, but there are some people that already know they want to live together. I'm not looking forward to it though 'cause it's gonna be awkward. :s-smilie:

My flat has three girls who are really close and think they're ~in charge or whatever, so my group basically consists of the people they didn't want to live with. Which I'm fine with, because I didn't really want to live with them. :biggrin:

Original post by rainbow drops
It's too earlyyyyyy to be doing that, seriously! If you lot start turning up for viewings at my house this term I ain't gonna be impressed :awesome:

We've only just started discussing it and apparently we don't need to do viewings until after Christmas, so I doubt I'll be turning up on your doorstep any time soon :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest