The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What is Lancaster University like for Law?

I've recently got an offer for Law from Lancaster. Anybody that has applied/decided to go to Lancaster: is a Law degree from Lancaster prestigious compared to other unis? On the league tables it seems to be shooting up but I'm slightly confused due to conflicting views on where is belongs. Furthermore, do you enjoy studying Law at Lancaster? I thought it was going to be my fifth but I actually REALLY like it and the league tables seem to be very complimentary of it. With Law its where the degree is from really than the actually degree itself. Thanks!
Seconded.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
When did you send your application and when did you get an offer? :smile:

Sorry but I've applied for Law too but only sent mine off on 10/11/11! :redface:
Thanks
Original post by dr.phalange
When did you send your application and when did you get an offer? :smile:

Sorry but I've applied for Law too but only sent mine off on 10/11/11! :redface:
Thanks

Sent mine Oct 14th. Offer came Nov 18th if I remember rightly. Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey there,

I don't do law at uni nor did I apply for it this year ( I changed my mind last minute!) but ive researched to death different law uni's etc, so i'll kinda do a positive and negatives list.

Positives
Good overall League tables positions
Good law league table position
Well accredited by employers
Its LLB law so accredited for the LPC/BVC
Has a law society (though, all uni's that do law have one...)

Negatives
Lancaster is the middle of no-where
It's been labelled the coldest uni in england (brr!)
Because it's in the middle of nowhere and is no near a big city hands on experience, such as intern-ships, work experience etc are scares, and such experience is vital these days to gain a place in a firm etc because there is SO many people who have a law degree (50% of people who apply on ucas apply for law!), you need a profile to build up! - again this comes back to having contacts - unless you're parents are lawyers/know lawyers then you need somewhere where you can get alot of opportunities

I hope this helps!
Reply 5
Studying law as a minor here, started this year.

Just want to say that I completely disagree with some the negatives of the above poster.

Lancaster University is not "in the middle of no-where", it is next to the town of Lancaster. This isn't really relevant as yes, it's not a city university like Liverpool or those in London, but as a campus university, it has a lot to offer on site including a brand new multi-million pound sports centre, cinema, theatre and many different shops, restaurants and takeaways.

In terms of it being cold, this isn't really something to be concerned about. I expected it to be rainy or cold when I arrived, but have been shocked to find that it is basically the same as London here, the most I've seen it go to is only few degrees less than the capital, which is nothing in terms of the standard English weather. We're in England, expect occasional rain, grey sky and windy autumn's.

Finally, the location of Lancaster doesn't have anything to do with work experience or work placement opportunities. There are many companies which come here to promote themselves in all ranges of careers, several opportunities for meet and greets a week in fact. You should also remember that if you are basing the university you go to on its proximity to work placements, you are really limiting the number of placements you'd be willing to take at any university.

In terms of prestige for Law graduates though, that I'm not sure of. Although Lancaster is dramatically climbing the ranks each year :wink:
Hello. I applied for Law this year at Lancaster, and got a Conditional Offer, my predicted grades are AAB, but entry requirements are AAA. I've been to the open days and applicant day as I firmed it, and I love the Uni so much, and cant see myself studying anywhere else. However now exams are approaching I am worried about grades. They did say they are willing to drop entry requirements one grade, too AAB depending on how many people get the grades. I was just wondering if anyone could put my mind at rest and let me know if Lancaster is flexible with Grades for Law? Thanks.
Original post by JeeJaySee
Studying law as a minor here, started this year.

Just want to say that I completely disagree with some the negatives of the above poster.

Lancaster University is not "in the middle of no-where", it is next to the town of Lancaster. This isn't really relevant as yes, it's not a city university like Liverpool or those in London, but as a campus university, it has a lot to offer on site including a brand new multi-million pound sports centre, cinema, theatre and many different shops, restaurants and takeaways.

In terms of it being cold, this isn't really something to be concerned about. I expected it to be rainy or cold when I arrived, but have been shocked to find that it is basically the same as London here, the most I've seen it go to is only few degrees less than the capital, which is nothing in terms of the standard English weather. We're in England, expect occasional rain, grey sky and windy autumn's.

Finally, the location of Lancaster doesn't have anything to do with work experience or work placement opportunities. There are many companies which come here to promote themselves in all ranges of careers, several opportunities for meet and greets a week in fact. You should also remember that if you are basing the university you go to on its proximity to work placements, you are really limiting the number of placements you'd be willing to take at any university.

In terms of prestige for Law graduates though, that I'm not sure of. Although Lancaster is dramatically climbing the ranks each year :wink:

Hello. I applied for Law this year at Lancaster, and got a Conditional Offer, my predicted grades are AAB, but entry requirements are AAA. I've been to the open days and applicant day as I firmed it, and I love the Uni so much, and cant see myself studying anywhere else. However now exams are approaching I am worried about grades. They did say they are willing to drop entry requirements one grade, too AAB depending on how many people get the grades. I was just wondering if anyone could put my mind at rest and let me know if Lancaster is flexible with Grades for Law? Thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by Penny_Lane16

Don’t worry I’m sure you will be able to achieve 3 As if you try hard enough. You can email the Law school and ask them if there will be any problems if you get one less A. The email address is [email protected]. By the way what A level subjects are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending