The Student Room Group

Needing a GCSE in a modern foreign language for Uni?

Hey there, 3 out of the 5 universities I wish to apply to require ( Warwick) or prefer an MFL GCSE, I don't have one and an currently an AS level student. So does it matter? and if so how do I go about getting this GCSE despite having left high school? Any infomation/advice will be greatly apperciate. I desperately want to go to Warwick:frown:
Reply 1
Original post by KillingLoneliness
Hey there, 3 out of the 5 universities I wish to apply to require ( Warwick) or prefer an MFL GCSE, I don't have one and an currently an AS level student. So does it matter? and if so how do I go about getting this GCSE despite having left high school? Any infomation/advice will be greatly apperciate. I desperately want to go to Warwick:frown:

I didn't know Warwick needed a GCSE in a MFL? I thought it was only UCL and Edinburgh? Which course?

If they ask for it, it probably does matter, and it could give admissions tutors an easy reason to reject you - which of course, you don't want. Having said that, if your school didn't offer it at GCSE then they will let it slide as long as your school mentions this in the reference, and you will usually have to make up the requirement at uni.

You could always get your school to put you in for a MFL GCSE, and just try and learn the course yourself at home?

History is the course I want to do and it said it requires it and my school did offer it but in year 9, I wasn't exactly looking at Universities and wondering if I'd need it, you know?

How would I go about getting my school to put me in for it and do you think it'd cost?
Original post by FDR
I didn't know Warwick needed a GCSE in a MFL? I thought it was only UCL and Edinburgh? Which course?

If they ask for it, it probably does matter, and it could give admissions tutors an easy reason to reject you - which of course, you don't want. Having said that, if your school didn't offer it at GCSE then they will let it slide as long as your school mentions this in the reference, and you will usually have to make up the requirement at uni.

You could always get your school to put you in for a MFL GCSE, and just try and learn the course yourself at home?

History is the course I want to do and it said it requires it and my school did offer it but in year 9, I wasn't exactly looking at Universities and wondering if I'd need it, you know?

How would I go about getting my school to put me in for it and do you think it'd cost?
Positive Rating!
Reply 4
Original post by KillingLoneliness

To get yourself put in for it, go to the schools exam's officer, or the most senior member of staff and talk to them about being put in for it, and they should be able to sort things out. Also talk to whoever is responsible for teaching languages at your school, as part of the course requires a speaking test. Your school might pay it for you, otherwise if you put yourself in for the papers in June, it should cost you about £20 a paper (I think) and I think there two papers.

Original post by FDR
To get yourself put in for it, go to the schools exam's officer, or the most senior member of staff and talk to them about being put in for it, and they should be able to sort things out. Also talk to whoever is responsible for teaching languages at your school, as part of the course requires a speaking test. Your school might pay it for you, otherwise if you put yourself in for the papers in June, it should cost you about £20 a paper (I think) and I think there two papers.

I will, thanks alot :smile:
Reply 6
I find it ridiculous and horrendously pathetic that some universities require people to have a GCSE in MFL when the degree they're looking for has absolutely balls all to do with foreign languages.
I realised after applying last year that York needed a MFL. I emailed explaining my situation and they gave me an Offer. If you explain they can be lenient. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending