The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by {Unregistered}
Thank you very much! :smile:

And I see that you have an offer from Southampton. Congratulations to you on that. :thumb:

And good luck for your Oxford interview. :smile:

thank youuuuuuu!!! :hug:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 1921
Original post by Arialaxe
Hai guys,

About the offers/rejections after interview...how long does that actually take? I've heard so many things from different people (my interviewer said a week or two, the website says three weeks, someone else said a month).

my interviewer said 2-5 weeks, and i heard back after 14-16 days somewhere
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1922
Hey! I applied to imperial college and am through to the second stage. I got my oversea interview form. And i cant seem to answer the second question. It is:

Is it feasible to design a human powered helicopter that can take off from a 6m by 6m square flat region?

No other info has been provided although they say that there is no right answer and we are free to interpret this question in whatever way we like.

I need help! WHAT SHOULD I WRITE IN THIS QUESTION?
Original post by zsean201
Hey! I applied to imperial college and am through to the second stage. I got my oversea interview form. And i cant seem to answer the second question. It is:

Is it feasible to design a human powered helicopter that can take off from a 6m by 6m square flat region?

No other info has been provided although they say that there is no right answer and we are free to interpret this question in whatever way we like.

I need help! WHAT SHOULD I WRITE IN THIS QUESTION?

U applying for aeronautical engineering?

I think theres like u said, an answer for every brain out there. But my answer would be that i dont think it would be feasible because it would use too much energy hence it would need to many people to make it fly. This then means that even if you got the people u need to make it fly, u wont have any space for it to carry passengers. And in case u need to use it to carry hEavy machinery, its useless. However, to make a human powered helicopter just for ur own personal aesthetic doesnt seem like a bad idea. I mean if it brings u closer to the engineerig world, its more than just feasible. But that being said, if it was feasible, wOuldnt the defence contractors be using HP helicopters rather than investing millions in single rotary helicopters?
My intervieweer didnt tell me when i will hear from him, is that kinda bad? I mean everyone else i know got told. So confused
Reply 1925
Original post by iluvmaths
U applying for aeronautical engineering?

I think theres like u said, an answer for every brain out there. But my answer would be that i dont think it would be feasible because it would use too much energy hence it would need to many people to make it fly. This then means that even if you got the people u need to make it fly, u wont have any space for it to carry passengers. And in case u need to use it to carry hEavy machinery, its useless. However, to make a human powered helicopter just for ur own personal aesthetic doesnt seem like a bad idea. I mean if it brings u closer to the engineerig world, its more than just feasible. But that being said, if it was feasible, wOuldnt the defence contractors be using HP helicopters rather than investing millions in single rotary helicopters?

yes i am applying for aeronautical. So basically we have to use our knowledge to comment on the feasibility of such a design rather than prove it through equations and maths?
Obviously, they dont expect any 18 year old to know the helicopter dynamics u get to learn in forth year. Its a question to simPly test Ur ability to takle problems. We will learn the maths at ICL.
Reply 1927
thanks.... btw what are the chances of getting into ICL if u have a normal interview?
thanks.... btw what are the chances of getting into ICL if u have a normal interview?

Imperial is knida becoming like oxbridge in terms Admissions. It all depends on ur interviewer.
I haven't heard anything from Imperial, should I panic? I know they said that it could be after 15 Jan but it seems a lot of applicants are getting interviewed already or at least will be. They do not interview every applicants do they?
Reply 1930
HEY about my interview question again...i should just write a sort of feasibilty study instead of physics equations
right?
HEY about my interview question again...i should just write a sort of feasibilty study instead of physics equations
right?

Yes, but im kinda jnterested in hw u would use equations to answer this question.
Reply 1932
Original post by iluvmaths
Yes, but im kinda jnterested in hw u would use equations to answer this question.

i have sent u a pm... read it and tell me whether i can use equations in that way...
Reply 1933
Do the majority of Physics applicants get interviews, or am I allowed to feel part of a chosen few?
I'm guessing the interview is going to really challenge me. I've heard they're quite hard compared to last year..
Reply 1934
If there are any medicine applicants here with questions, I'm happy to do what I can!
Do people get offers on sundays?
Anyone going to Civil Eng recruitment day on Wednesday 30th November?
Original post by Martik
Do the majority of Physics applicants get interviews, or am I allowed to feel part of a chosen few?
I'm guessing the interview is going to really challenge me. I've heard they're quite hard compared to last year..

They said they interview around half of the applicants and receive around 1300+ applications for something like 230 places.
Original post by Mike93L
They said they interview around half of the applicants and receive around 1300+ applications for something like 230 places.

And across all subjects about 42% of Imperial offer-holders accept the offer. So if physics is on average then they interview about 650 for 550 offers. :dontknow:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
And across all subjects about 42% of Imperial offer-holders accept the offer. So if physics is on average then they interview about 650 for 550 offers. :dontknow:
Nice detective work :biggrin:

Have some random figures in return! :wink: Imperial make offers to 57% of applicants across the university (excluding Medicine and other 15th October deadline courses). 46% of offer holders firm it, and 10% of them insurance it. 58% of firmers end up coming. Only 7% of insurancers do.

source
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending