The Student Room Group

What do I do about my unemployment, I'm getting depressed and have no confidence?

I have been unemployed for about a year or so, it seriously sucks bad! I just really want to find a job, but every damn job I apply to I never get. My friend's brother has just got a job at sainsburys, whereas I looked on the sainsburys website a few weeks ago and they had no vacancies. What the hell am I doing wrong? I am 23 years old with no job, and I have low confidence because I've been out of employment for so long. I have low motivation to get out of bed in the mornings, I just want to find some work. I even applied to a volunteer agency a few months ago, but no response. I rang them back, but they said they would be in contact when something became available that was suited to my preferences. What the hell do I do? I am suffering from depression and my confidence is terrible at the moment, I hate this feeling! I want to find a job and move out of my dad's place.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Keep applying to every job you see on the job centre website, meanwhile get a hobby which you can dedicate your time to so that you don't feel so bored and depressed.

Make sure you revise your CV, perhaps get a professional's opinion on it - eg. a university career advisor, is this a possibility for you?
Reply 2
Original post by pandapanda

Keep applying to every job you see on the job centre website, meanwhile get a hobby which you can dedicate your time to so that you don't feel so bored and depressed.

Make sure you revise your CV, perhaps get a professional's opinion on it - eg. a university career advisor, is this a possibility for you?

I never went to University, but it's looking like a good idea if this carries on the way it is. I just feel so horrible in myself now, It's like I have nothing to focus my time on, and it's even worse with Xmas approaching and people going out, buying gifts etc.
Reply 3

Worst advice ever.

There are no jobs, no point applying. Benefits are the answer.

Stay on benefits
Reply 4
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
I never went to University

go to university. Or get some sort of diploma that sets you apart from the rest. What job would you like to do? What career path do you see yourself taking?
I know how you feel, it's a bad climate for jobs at the minute. I've just managed to get a crimbo temp job at Sainsburys. If I don't keep it after the temp period is over I may just volunteer, just to get out of the house.
Reply 6
Education? You have a computer and the internet - there are plenty of things you can get proficient enough in to land a good job, find something that interests you!
Reply 7
Don;t go to University.

No offense, but if you;re the kind of person that's getting depressed and losing motivation because you don;t have a job, you're probably not best suited to UNiversity as a mature student.

You need to apply near you. Look perhaps for Apprecnticeships. Keep an eye on the local Newspaper aswell as a regional one. Apply for Part-Time work aswell, and don't be snooty about what you apply for. Receptionist, Sales Assistant or Facility Worker, it's a job, and you'll keep your self respect. Don;t give up, and don;t make excuses. There are jobs out there, it's just a matter of wanting it enough to find one.
Reply 8
Try m&s and sign up to Reed.co.uk. Trust me, you'll find a job.
Reply 9
I think I've got an ingrown hair on my upper back.
Reply 10
volunteer volunteer volunteer but go direct to the charity concerned or go to your local school see if they need clasroom assistant or your hospital see if you can help there or the national trust if there is something near think bigger...........

you will find something and the

benefits include gain experince in an area you are interested in working, see if you really like it, gets you out of the house , meet people, gain valuable experince , builds confidence, keeps depression at bay, looks good on job application froms and cv. show you are willing to work and nto sitting at home vegtating and being lazxy, you will discover talents you dont know you have yet, you will hear about jobs if they come up before anyone else you will help yourself and your community gain self respect and eventually get a paid job! worked for me

good luck dont give up it is tough but you will get there bjut if you feel dpressed perhaps you might need to see your gp ?? or talk to a counsellor before it gets too bad as well as the above allt eh best
(edited 12 years ago)
Them door to door jobs always have vacancies
Reply 12
Original post by caaakeeey

Original post by caaakeeey
Education? You have a computer and the internet - there are plenty of things you can get proficient enough in to land a good job, find something that interests you!

That means nothing! I still need money to take classes/courses. I have looked on my local college website, but there aren't any courses available that are free. I was thinking of going back to college next year to study an access course, but I have already done a level 3 course, so I would need to pay for the Access course. I just want to earn some money, get a stable job, and move out of my dad's house.
Reply 13
Original post by Steevee

Original post by Steevee
Don;t go to University.

No offense, but if you;re the kind of person that's getting depressed and losing motivation because you don;t have a job, you're probably not best suited to UNiversity as a mature student.

You need to apply near you. Look perhaps for Apprecnticeships. Keep an eye on the local Newspaper aswell as a regional one. Apply for Part-Time work aswell, and don't be snooty about what you apply for. Receptionist, Sales Assistant or Facility Worker, it's a job, and you'll keep your self respect. Don;t give up, and don;t make excuses. There are jobs out there, it's just a matter of wanting it enough to find one.

The reason I'm depressed is because I have been umemployed for so long, I have no money, and I have nothing to focus my time on. But I'm not sure about University anyway, as I don't even have any idea on what I want to do as a career. I am not just going to go to Uni without a passion or liking for the degree, it would be a waste of money & time. And I have applied for Sales jobs, but then they say they require someone with sales experience, which rules me out as I have never had sales experience. I have applied for kitchen staff at the local weatherspoons about 3 or 4 times, but every time they send back an "unsuccessful" email.
Reply 14
Go to a dr and let them pump you full of anti depressants. Always the answer.
Complete sympathy for you here, getting a job is so tough right now. Im on a gap year and have been trying to find a job since September.

Everywhere asks for prior experience, so frustrating!..
Reply 16
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
I have been unemployed for about a year or so, it seriously sucks bad! I just really want to find a job, but every damn job I apply to I never get. My friend's brother has just got a job at sainsburys, whereas I looked on the sainsburys website a few weeks ago and they had no vacancies. What the hell am I doing wrong? I am 23 years old with no job, and I have low confidence because I've been out of employment for so long. I have low motivation to get out of bed in the mornings, I just want to find some work. I even applied to a volunteer agency a few months ago, but no response. I rang them back, but they said they would be in contact when something became available that was suited to my preferences. What the hell do I do? I am suffering from depression and my confidence is terrible at the moment, I hate this feeling! I want to find a job and move out of my dad's place.

To say its a bad climate for jobs is a huge understatement, it's one of the worst times to be young and unemployed but at least you have benefits which can keep you alive, just.

I know exactly how you feel, i've been unemployed for almost 2 years now, no one will even look at me and my CVs in decent shape and my cover letters are all looked over by the Work Programme people but still nothing. I have a degree and some experience to boot. But "some" experience and a degree isn't anywhere near as valuable as the huge masses of experienced people being made redundant that enter the job market every day.

DO NOT BOTHER with a degree - companies mostly are simply not interested in degrees whatsoever. So much for the "lack of skilled" workers crap they say. Only go to uni and i mean ONLY - if you get into a course with 1 years (or more) of industrial experience. Having piece of paper saying you are skilled and qualified to do something means nothing to employers unless you have experience doing it.

Hell, over here volunteer work has waiting lists for goodness sake! All I can think to do is just put out your CV in volume, sheer overwhelming mass of applications and maybe just maybe someone will get back.

Now it's Christmas lots of people are recruiting but I didn't get a single call back last year so I don't know how good this year is going to be. Sorry if this doesn't cheer you up but hey, there are others in your position.

But I hear care people are in need... it's something I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Timie

Original post by Timie
To say its a bad climate for jobs is a huge understatement, it's one of the worst times to be young and unemployed but at least you have benefits which can keep you alive, just.

I know exactly how you feel, i've been unemployed for almost 2 years now, no one will even look at me and my CVs in decent shape and my cover letters are all looked over by the Work Programme people but still nothing. I have a degree and some experience to boot. But "some" experience and a degree isn't anywhere near as valuable as the huge masses of experienced people being made redundant that enter the job market every day.

Even volunteer work over here has waiting lists for goodness sake! All I can think to do is just put out your CV in volume, sheer overwhelming mass of applications and maybe just maybe someone will get back.

Now it's Christmas lots of people are recruiting but I didn't get a single call back last year so I don't know how good this year is going to be.

But I hear care people are in need... it's something I guess.

To be honest, even though it's cliché I was thinking of applying to go on X factor. I can sing and I love to dance too, so I was thinking of giving it a try as I've never sang outside of the house. With the way things are with jobs it could be a good idea. I just don't know what to do any more though, I mean I'm 23 and most people have graduated by my age, so if I went back to college, did an access course (which I'd have to pay for now), and got into Uni, I would be about 25 years old by then. I don't know if I want to be still living at home by the time I'm 27/28 (graduation). Obviously, I would move away to Uni, but I would still have to come back to the village and my dad's house during long breaks etc.
Reply 18
My CV isn't great either. I mean I've worked for my brother last year, but apart from that, the other jobs I've had would be hard to get references from. Maybe this is affecting my CV, I don't know.
Start a website? Go out for walks or something if you're not going out right now and that should make you feel better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending