The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Choices question

I'm an American applicant to SOAS and a bit confused about how you, er, choose your choices. I want to study Arabic and it's the main reason why I'm applying, but should I only have one choice for Arabic (T620) or list two choices like Persian and Arabic (T621)? Why do people have multiple choices for the same uni? I've noticed that a lot with SOAS. Should I list Persian and Arabic because Arabic alone is too competitive? If I want to study Persian too, do I necessarily need to apply for T621 or can I just take Persian courses while I'm there?

Some help here, please. :confused:
Reply 1
Combined courses, like Arabic and Persian, basically mean you spend half the time (in soas' case 2 lectures a week) on each topic. If you were to study Arabic alone, you would find yourself taking 4 lectures on purely Arabic, not that you are applying to study Arabic or Persian. It might be easier to get in doing a combined course, I'm not sure, but as far as I'm concerned you're far better off taking the course you want to do and reapplying if you don't get the grades.

Hope this made sense.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by mollie_
Combined courses, like Arabic and Persian, basically mean you spend half the time (in soas' case 2 lectures a week) on each topic. If you were to study Arabic alone, you would find yourself taking 4 lectures on purely Arabic, not that you are applying to study Arabic or Persian. It might be easier to get in doing a combined course, I'm not sure, but as far as I'm concerned you're far better off taking the course you want to do and reapplying if you don't get the grades.

Hope this made sense.

thanks :smile: I decided to go for two choices at SOAS, both Arabic (T620) and Arabic and Persian (T621). if it works out, I'll have two offers and can decide then. if not, well, there will always be other choices. I wrote a PS that reflects my dual interest and that's the best I can do, right? :biggrin:
Before plumping for Arabic with Persian, I would check out the year-abroad requirements. If you need to spend part or all of your year abroad in Iran, forget it.
Reply 4
Original post by I Kant Spall
thanks :smile: I decided to go for two choices at SOAS, both Arabic (T620) and Arabic and Persian (T621). if it works out, I'll have two offers and can decide then. if not, well, there will always be other choices. I wrote a PS that reflects my dual interest and that's the best I can do, right? :biggrin:

Yep, and you should also be able to change your course once you get here, or in your second year, if you change your mind.

Original post by sohoscribbler
Before plumping for Arabic with Persian, I would check out the year-abroad requirements. If you need to spend part or all of your year abroad in Iran, forget it.

SOAS' Persian course has no study period in Iran.
Reply 5
Another factor to take into account is that if you do a double honours degree, you have the choice of whether to do a 10,000 word dissertation or "ISP" in the final year - with single honours, it's mandatory.
Original post by JoeJBB
Yep, and you should also be able to change your course once you get here, or in your second year, if you change your mind.

SOAS' Persian course has no study period in Iran.

If you want to study Persian as part of your degree course, it seems like a good option. But make sure you get everything in writing, as universities are not above unilaterally changing the requirements after you have matriculated. Unlawful, I know, but almost impossible to challenge unless you have limitless legal resources.
(edited 12 years ago)
Also bear in mind that a degree course in a modern foreign language where you do not have much chance to practise it in a natural setting is perhaps at best frustrating and at worst useless. Such a shame because the Persian language and culture are in many ways sheer poetry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending