The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Liam6993
I think most stores are closed on Boxing Day. I'm not sure, though.

I think most stores are open on Boxing Day, I know mine has been open for the past couple of years.
Reply 61
Original post by thatg
I think most stores are open on Boxing Day, I know mine has been open for the past couple of years.

Could you tell me what time they're usually open on boxing day? I just looked at the Calendar and i'm meant to be working boxing day ... but i work evenings, so is there a chance i might not have to go in? ^_^ I'm going home for christmas and would not mind not having to make the 1.30hr commute to my uni store -_-
Reply 62
Most stores are opening 10-5 on Boxing Day.
Reply 63
Original post by thatg

Oh, right. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, then. :biggrin:
Original post by Foulish
I was looking at the information near our clocking in machines yesterday. This is what ~I made of it:

If you are contracted to work after store closing on 24th Dec, it will be used as holiday, and you will not lose it from your allocation.

25th Dec Same as 24th, but gets counted as holiday.

You'll be expected to work NYE, as I don't believe its a bank holiday. New Years day is a different story (Unless it happens to fall on a Saturday/Sunday again)

As far as I am aware, working on Bank Holidays is optional, and you can opt out of them.

Thanks, I got it from the managers today. Christmas eve is holiday without losing your allocation as you said. Then new years eve is a 1am-8am shift, but only with 10/15 people so i should be able to have it off! :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Slapstick
Could you tell me what time they're usually open on boxing day? I just looked at the Calendar and i'm meant to be working boxing day ... but i work evenings, so is there a chance i might not have to go in? ^_^ I'm going home for christmas and would not mind not having to make the 1.30hr commute to my uni store -_-

I think it's either 9am-7pm or 10am-7pm
Reply 66
My store opening hours

Christmas eve: 7am - 9pm
Christmas day: Closed
Boxing day: 9am - 9pm
nye: 9am - 9pm
new years day: 9am - 9pm

I work in a local
Woot got the job. Just received an email saying to phone up HR to sort out hours/offer. Anyone know what the next procedure is? Is it induction, how long does that last?
Reply 68
I got rejected recently for the general assistant job and received this email

We are pleased to say that you have passed the interview stage of our selection process. Your skills are a good match for Sainsbury's. However, we are not able to progress your application any further for the moment as we do have other candidates whose skills are an even closer match for this particular role. We hope to find you a suitable opportunity in the future and we will be in touch if a suitable position becomes available.

Will they give me preference if same position becomes available in future..is it true?
Any Idea?? Thanks..
Reply 69
WOOP! Can confirm the 20% Staff Discount Thurs 1st - Sun 4th then 15% off from Mon 5th!!
Reply 70
I've got my 2 day induction this Wednesday and Thursday for the checkouts. Both from 9am-6pm!! Will it really take that long?
Reply 71
Original post by krd
I got rejected recently for the general assistant job and received this email

We are pleased to say that you have passed the interview stage of our selection process. Your skills are a good match for Sainsbury's. However, we are not able to progress your application any further for the moment as we do have other candidates whose skills are an even closer match for this particular role. We hope to find you a suitable opportunity in the future and we will be in touch if a suitable position becomes available.

Will they give me preference if same position becomes available in future..is it true?
Any Idea?? Thanks..

I originally went for a interview for a Counter Assistant job. I got the same email, but they called me back 2 weeks later saying they have a checkout position & would I be interested (seeing as I had passed the interview stage.)
So I had a 10min interview with the checkout manager and he gave me the job on the spot.
Good luck, hope they get back to you if something else comes up :smile:
Ok, Ive got my induction time Its Tuesday and Wednesday 9am-7pm. Christ watching videos for 20 hours and getting paid, easy money. Also how long is break on an 8 hour shift?
Original post by Negotiator
Ok, Ive got my induction time Its Tuesday and Wednesday 9am-7pm. Christ watching videos for 20 hours and getting paid, easy money. Also how long is break on an 8 hour shift?

Half an hour paid.
I actually prefer working 9 hour shifts to 8 hour ones. You get the same money but it breaks the day up more. :biggrin:
Reply 74
Original post by raspberry3
I originally went for a interview for a Counter Assistant job. I got the same email, but they called me back 2 weeks later saying they have a checkout position & would I be interested (seeing as I had passed the interview stage.)
So I had a 10min interview with the checkout manager and he gave me the job on the spot.
Good luck, hope they get back to you if something else comes up :smile:

Congrats and thanks for the reply....fingers crossed!!
Lemme wait and hope for the best!
Such a failure today. Went in for my induction day today, was greeted by the manager who had no idea about an induction that day. Visited the line manager who informed me that my induction was actually on Sunday. I mentioned that I had actually called HR yesterday to confirm that my induction was indeed today - they had said it was so. Line manager said something along the lines of 'not again..'. She gave them a rang while I went off to sit. She came back 20 mins later, stating that HR had claimed responsibility for the mess up, I think I had been fired for not attending the induction so I was now re-hired. She agreed with me that I could attend an induction at a different store tomorrow.. So I'll be trecking out there to do induction then go back to my actual store to work.

Fun day. The store workers/management handled it really well though, and were very nice about the whole situation considering how much of their time was wasted too (I think they had already re-advertised the job).
Managed to secure my old job as a co-ordinator on the goods online dept for over christmas today [= what's the base pay now?
Reply 77
Hi everyone

I applied at Sainburys and had an interview/DVD test last week and was told i was unsuccessful in the interview because i failed the customer service part of the DVD test.

I had a very good interview and the person who interviewed me was very impressed but still could not get the job. Could someone tell me what i did wrong on the customer service part.
Reply 78
Original post by Anton19
Hi everyone

I applied at Sainburys and had an interview/DVD test last week and was told i was unsuccessful in the interview because i failed the customer service part of the DVD test.

I had a very good interview and the person who interviewed me was very impressed but still could not get the job. Could someone tell me what i did wrong on the customer service part.

how are we suppose to know what you done wrong? we didn't check your answers.

I'm sure the recruitment people might tell you what went wrong
Recruitment Enquiries: 0845 602 3860
Email: [email protected]
I've had my induction and its day one of work tomorrow. When I first go in, should I see a member of staff to bring me down to the staff area or should I just go straight there myself? Also should I just go straight to see the manager before clocking in or what. Thanks!