The Student Room Group

I sleep with my mouth open?

I cant remember when it started
but I sleep with my mouth open and its really really annoying.
apparently it gives you bad breath & damages your teeth so I really want to get rid of this habit. Any advice?

Oh, and I find it difficult breathing with my mouth closed anyway.
Like when I'm walking down the street, I have a small gap open between my mouth because I feel like I'm gonna DIE if I have my mouth closed.

Should I consult a GP? Would they take me seriously?
Please let me know if anyone else has experienced same/similar issue(s)

Cheers
yes, go to your doctor. they take everyone's problems seriously. if it's a problem for you, it's important to them. hope you figure this out!
Reply 2
I have this problem too. When i'm relaxed or just walking around my mouth literally doesn't stay closed unless I force it too and because of my overbite when I make my lips meet it looks like i'm sticking out my chin aggressively :frown:
I sleep with my mouth and eyes wide open. My parents have taken pictures, >_<

And I'm not putting them on here
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
apparently it gives you bad breath & damages your teeth so I really want to get rid of this habit. Any advice?

Like when I'm walking down the street, I have a small gap open between my mouth because I feel like I'm gonna DIE if I have my mouth closed.

Cheers

And i thought i was the only one ! It definately does give bad breath as i have experienced, i cant breath through my nose and breath through my mouth,

It also gives much more sore throats as i have experienced; Its SO hard to keep your mouth shut :frown:

I hate waking up with such a dry mouth eughk!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

Cheers

Try brushing your teeth in the morning and during the day for that matters, does wonders for bad breath lol.

On a more serious note id go to the doctors about having to open your mouth when walking to breath. You should be able the breath easily through your nose, if not you are either very unfit which i get the sense that you're not (no idea why) or maybe you have a smaller air passage than normal through your nose. I remember something about novak djokovic ( the number 1 tennis player if people aren't familiar with him) having problems breathing through his nose and he had an operation to help with it or something like that.

In short its worth seeing your doctor if its a problem
i have a really dry mouth in the morning from having my mouth open, my nose is always blocked
you could try a neti pot but it dont work so well for me
i never heard of air damaging your teeth though!
I didn't think it was possible to sleep with your mouth closed, I've been sleeping with mine open for as long as I can remember, thought it was just natural...
Original post by christykai1049
yes, go to your doctor.

This is why I don't want to be a GP.
Reply 9
Cute! Make sure you dont chomp on spiders in your sleep! I know loads of people that breath with their mouth open.Me included!

Quick Reply

Latest