The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladipidoo
I clocked out at 21:58 instead of 22:00.....will I not get paid for the last hour? :zomg:

I have done this in the past a couple of times without noticing but haven't seen any deduction in pay unless it was more than 5 minutes.
Original post by Saliency
I have done this in the past a couple of times without noticing but haven't seen any deduction in pay unless it was more than 5 minutes.

Just noticed your UCAS in your signature...what course are you applying for? Only we applied to four of the same unis. :tongue:
Original post by Liam6993
You won't get paid for the last 15 minutes.

Ah ok. It was my first day and was quite tired by the end so clocked out without waiting until it hit 22:00 because a colleague told me I could go. :colondollar: Do you think I should talk to my team leader(manager's on holiday) about it just incase?
Ah ok. It was my first day and was quite tired by the end so clocked out without waiting until it hit 22:00 because a colleague told me I could go. :colondollar: Do you think I should talk to my team leader(manager's on holiday) about it just incase?

It won't harm in telling them, I suppose. But I wouldn't worry if they can't do anything about it...you definitely won't lose more than quarter of an hour's pay, so that'll only be a quid or two.
It won't harm in telling them, I suppose. But I wouldn't worry if they can't do anything about it...you definitely won't lose more than quarter of an hour's pay, so that'll only be a quid or two.

Thanks! Although that'll be a quid or two too much :emo: ahahah
Thanks! Although that'll be a quid or two too much :emo: ahahah

I've never been shorttimed for clocking out one or two minutes early, and I've done it quite a bit. I wouldn't really worry about it, you can just make the time up after your next shift...(and you might not even have a choice about it :wink:)
Original post by DarkMagic
I've never been shorttimed for clocking out one or two minutes early, and I've done it quite a bit. I wouldn't really worry about it, you can just make the time up after your next shift...(and you might not even have a choice about it :wink:)

Ahaha, thanks, that's reassuring. I came in 10 minutes early, surely that's got to count for something!? :zomg:
The other colleagues said I was good so hopefully I won't have to do extra work on Wednesday. :emo:
Hey everyone on the last payday I was taxed and this hasn't happened at any other point during my 1 and a half years at sainsbury's.

What is the limit for not being taxed? (I tried to find it on directgov but the website is confusing)
And should I go to HR about it or will it be refunded at the end of the tax year? It's only £20 but it counts for a lot.

I also thought it could be because I am turning 18 tomorrow if that has anything to do with tax, I have no idea.

Thanks.
Just noticed your UCAS in your signature...what course are you applying for? Only we applied to four of the same unis. :tongue:

I'm applying for Genetics/Medical Genetics. :tongue:
How about you?
I'm applying for Genetics/Medical Genetics. :tongue:
How about you?

French and Spanish. Couldn't get much more opposite, haha. :tongue:
French and Spanish. Couldn't get much more opposite, haha. :tongue:

Yep, haha well good luck in you application! I see you already have offers. Lucky!
Hey everyone on the last payday I was taxed and this hasn't happened at any other point during my 1 and a half years at sainsbury's.

What is the limit for not being taxed? (I tried to find it on directgov but the website is confusing)
And should I go to HR about it or will it be refunded at the end of the tax year? It's only £20 but it counts for a lot.

I also thought it could be because I am turning 18 tomorrow if that has anything to do with tax, I have no idea.

Thanks.

There's two different kinds of 'tax'; National insurance and Income Tax. The personal allowance for national insurance is about £7228 this year (so about 556ish every payday - anything you earn over that will be taxed). Income tax is about £7475 this year (so about 575ish very payday).
You can't claim back national insurance but you should get income tax back if you've paid too much over the course of the year. I paid too much in 2009 and got a refund a few months ago. :biggrin: That was from HMRC themselves though, so you might have to go directly to them (at the end of the financial year). I don't know if Sainsbury's will be able to give it back to you.

Oh, and age has nothing to do with how much tax you pay (unless you're a pensioner). People think that because students rarely pay tax, but that's usually only because they're at school/college/uni so they don't earn enough.
Original post by saliency
hey everyone on the last payday i was taxed and this hasn't happened at any other point during my 1 and a half years at sainsbury's.

What is the limit for not being taxed? (i tried to find it on directgov but the website is confusing)
and should i go to hr about it or will it be refunded at the end of the tax year? It's only £20 but it counts for a lot.

I also thought it could be because i am turning 18 tomorrow if that has anything to do with tax, i have no idea.

Thanks.
try getting taxed over £240 of your wages
Original post by DarkMagic
There's two different kinds of 'tax'; National insurance and Income Tax. The personal allowance for national insurance is about £7228 this year (so about 556ish every payday - anything you earn over that will be taxed). Income tax is about £7475 this year (so about 575ish very payday).
You can't claim back national insurance but you should get income tax back if you've paid too much over the course of the year. I paid too much in 2009 and got a refund a few months ago. :biggrin: That was from HMRC themselves though, so you might have to go directly to them (at the end of the financial year). I don't know if Sainsbury's will be able to give it back to you.

Oh, and age has nothing to do with how much tax you pay (unless you're a pensioner). People think that because students rarely pay tax, but that's usually only because they're at school/college/uni so they don't earn enough.

I've earned under 4000 this year so I doubt it's any of those too haha
I think i'll just go to HR to check it out.

Thanks!
Original post by LondonCity
try getting taxed over £240 of your wages

Oh dear.:frown:
Did you get it back?
Reply 155
240?! That's a lot... :motz:
Reply 156
Had to empty and bin 120 bottles of lemonade last night because they advertised Pimms and apparently thats not allowed with the new Scottish Licencing laws :frown:
Dont see whythey had to be binned, could have gave them to staff or a charity or something!
Reply 157
Original post by NonaxD
120 bottles of lemonade...
Dont see why they had to be binned, could have gave them to staff or a charity or something!

To be fair, that's what I would have expected - sell them at 50% off to staff or something, and try to recoup at least some of the cost of buying them originally. :rolleyes:
Reply 158
Original post by Shokking
To be fair, that's what I would have expected - sell them at 50% off to staff or something, and try to recoup at least some of the cost of buying them originally. :rolleyes:

We are getting the money back for them anyway, thats why I know how many there was, had to count them all :frown:

Its such a waste :frown:
Reply 159
Original post by NonaxD
We are getting the money back for them anyway, thats why I know how many there was, had to count them all :frown:

Its such a waste :frown:

Ah, well if Sainsbury's get their cash back, I don't imagine they care much about the fate of the ten dozen bottles of lemonade. Just so long as it doesn't come back to bite them later. Do they actually get binned, or sent back to the supplier for re-packaging?

Latest