The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Thanks! :smile: Well done on Spanish! Yeah I'm crashing Higher German this year and I got 19/20 on my reading, 16/18 on my listening and no mistakes in my writing! :biggrin: Major happy since I didn't even acheive that in my French last year or at least I don't think I did in the listening - that was a lonnnggg time ago haha! Crash languages are fun :smile: You're doing the bacc too right? How's your IP coming along?

Wow, well done, that's amazing! :smile: Especially consdering German is from a completely different language family.

My IP is going pretty well, I've just finished my plan so now it's just really a case of continuing my research and preparing my presentation. I'm writing a survey at the moment which is going to be sent to the Paris conservatoire, which is scary stuff (although I doubt they'll reply :frown: Correspondance with French-speaking people has been awful so far). How's yours? What are you doing it on, if I haven't asked before?
Original post by christielovesyou
Wow, well done, that's amazing! :smile: Especially consdering German is from a completely different language family.

My IP is going pretty well, I've just finished my plan so now it's just really a case of continuing my research and preparing my presentation. I'm writing a survey at the moment which is going to be sent to the Paris conservatoire, which is scary stuff (although I doubt they'll reply :frown: Correspondance with French-speaking people has been awful so far). How's yours? What are you doing it on, if I haven't asked before?

I'm doing mine on how uptake of modern languages could be increased through education in the Highlands and Islands - a heck of a lot of work! I've got all my research done other than a few people i need to contact in France and Germany so it's going well, though I agree, the prospect of writing to real institutions is a bit scary! It's taking ages to collate all my research but I'm getting there :smile: Got Lorna Grant visiting next week too, that should be interesting - if not stressful :smile: Your project sounds so interesting! Did you go to any of the bacc conferences earlier in the year? If so do you think you'd do a presentation for it, I was thinking about that... Really scary!
On another note, did you apply or know anyone who applied for Euroscola this year? :smile:
I'm doing mine on how uptake of modern languages could be increased through education in the Highlands and Islands - a heck of a lot of work! I've got all my research done other than a few people i need to contact in France and Germany so it's going well, though I agree, the prospect of writing to real institutions is a bit scary! It's taking ages to collate all my research but I'm getting there :smile: Got Lorna Grant visiting next week too, that should be interesting - if not stressful :smile: Your project sounds so interesting! Did you go to any of the bacc conferences earlier in the year? If so do you think you'd do a presentation for it, I was thinking about that... Really scary!
On another note, did you apply or know anyone who applied for Euroscola this year? :smile:

Sounds awesome! Lorna visited us in August, she's really helpful, and you'll probably get loads of sheets on reflective writing and stuff from her :smile: Yeah, I went to the conference in Stirling in June. I'd definitely do a presentation at it! There were actual two guys who used to go to my school doing presentations at it (but they were scientists). At the end my teacher came up to me and was like, "that'll be you up there next year, Christie." So yeah...no pressure :tongue:

We don't do Euroscola :frown: Which is a shame because it sounds sooo good. Did you apply?
Looking forward to Lorna now that sounds good! Was one of the guys from your school the one that did the study on toothpaste? I loved that one haha! So weird to think we were both there :P

Yeah I applied and got a place :smile: So excited about it, it's gonna be awesome and it'll be my first time abroad too! :biggrin: Was the first from my rotary area to apply! You should tell your teacher to encourage it for next year - or any budding language enthusiasts :smile:
Looking forward to Lorna now that sounds good! Was one of the guys from your school the one that did the study on toothpaste? I loved that one haha! So weird to think we were both there :P

Yeah I applied and got a place :smile: So excited about it, it's gonna be awesome and it'll be my first time abroad too! :biggrin: Was the first from my rotary area to apply! You should tell your teacher to encourage it for next year - or any budding language enthusiasts :smile:

He was, yes! His sister's in my year actually :smile: I was going to ask if you were at our table for lunch, but then I remembered that a. me, my friend and our two teachers were the only linguists at our table, and b. out of all the people there, and number of tables, it seems quite stupid that I would ask that :rolleyes:

I will do! It sounds really interesting!
He was, yes! His sister's in my year actually :smile: I was going to ask if you were at our table for lunch, but then I remembered that a. me, my friend and our two teachers were the only linguists at our table, and b. out of all the people there, and number of tables, it seems quite stupid that I would ask that :rolleyes:

I will do! It sounds really interesting!

Haha there was a lot of people there! Lunch was surprisingly really good! Yeah I was the only linguist at my table :frown: Though it was funny cause this woman started chatting to me and thought I was a teacher too, we ended up sitting together for lunch though cause she was on her own as well! I'm intrigued now, where about were you sitting? I was at the closest table to the door.

Argh better go do my folio piece now... Or just work on my bacc more... SO MUCH TO DO!!!
Haha there was a lot of people there! Lunch was surprisingly really good! Yeah I was the only linguist at my table :frown: Though it was funny cause this woman started chatting to me and thought I was a teacher too, we ended up sitting together for lunch though cause she was on her own as well! I'm intrigued now, where about were you sitting? I was at the closest table to the door.

But I was at the table closest to the door! Wow, you literally must've been sitting at the table opposite me :biggrin: And the lunch was lovely, we're having our Valedictory dinner there in June too.

(I love how we've derailed this thread/we're the only ones here...:rolleyes:)
But I was at the table closest to the door! Wow, you literally must've been sitting at the table opposite me :biggrin: And the lunch was lovely, we're having our Valedictory dinner there in June too.

(I love how we've derailed this thread/we're the only ones here...:rolleyes:)

Wow that's awesome! :biggrin: What's a Valedictory dinner??

And yeah, we just kinda seem to have our own off topic chats haha! Is there anyone else on here actually doing AH French??!!
Wow that's awesome! :biggrin: What's a Valedictory dinner??

And yeah, we just kinda seem to have our own off topic chats haha! Is there anyone else on here actually doing AH French??!!

Well, there were two others at the start of thread, but I think we've taken over! :tongue:

The Valedictory dinner is a formal dinner that the school host at the end of S6, where we dress up, have a meal and there's speeches/reflections/performances and things. We have a photographer too. They only introduced it last year though, as that was the year the school stopped supporting prom (we're still having a prom, but we have to organise it with no teacher support) :frown:
Reply 29
Just thought I should pop in and see how the very limited number of us on here doing Advanced French this year are doing?

I've passed my listening and writing NAB, and am waiting on my reading marks too. I've also put in my UCAS for French and German (and Politics) so am waiting for responses :smile:
Original post by _Stephieee
Just thought I should pop in and see how the very limited number of us on here doing Advanced French this year are doing?

I've passed my listening and writing NAB, and am waiting on my reading marks too. I've also put in my UCAS for French and German (and Politics) so am waiting for responses :smile:

Well done :smile: I'm jealous of you having your NABs all out the way! I've done my reading and writing so far (passed the reading, still waiting on writing but I'm totally certain that I'll have passed). We only did our first listening yesterday, but I didn't think it was too bad at all. I think I only lost a few marks :biggrin:
Well, there were two others at the start of thread, but I think we've taken over! :tongue:

The Valedictory dinner is a formal dinner that the school host at the end of S6, where we dress up, have a meal and there's speeches/reflections/performances and things. We have a photographer too. They only introduced it last year though, as that was the year the school stopped supporting prom (we're still having a prom, but we have to organise it with no teacher support) :frown:

Aww we don't get any prom :frown: The only kind of S6 special thing we get is mocktails before our christmas dinner/dance. The only other thing is a prefect dinner in may/june... A Valedictory dinner sounds awesome! :smile:

Hey, nice to see someone new on the thread! Well done on your NABs :smile: I've passed my reading and listening and am not doing my writing one till January/Feburary.

Let me know how you get on with UCAS! Where have you applied? Also are you doing a bacc this year? :biggrin:

@christielovesyou We have someone new to talk with!! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Well done :smile: I'm jealous of you having your NABs all out the way! I've done my reading and writing so far (passed the reading, still waiting on writing but I'm totally certain that I'll have passed). We only did our first listening yesterday, but I didn't think it was too bad at all. I think I only lost a few marks :biggrin:

Thank you, I'm hoping to have passed the reading but I actually found it a very difficult text I have to say. My listening NAB wasn't too bad on reflection so I'm sure you'll do well with them :smile:
Reply 34
Hey, nice to see someone new on the thread! Well done on your NABs :smile: I've passed my reading and listening and am not doing my writing one till January/Feburary.

Let me know how you get on with UCAS! Where have you applied? Also are you doing a bacc this year? :biggrin:

@christielovesyou We have someone new to talk with!! :biggrin:

Thanks, well done to you too :smile:

I will, I applied to Edinburgh, St Andrews, Stirling, Aberdeen and Heriot-Watt :smile: No, unfortunately I'm not, I was really interested in it but my school couldn't afford it which was annoying.
Thanks, well done to you too :smile:

I will, I applied to Edinburgh, St Andrews, Stirling, Aberdeen and Heriot-Watt :smile: No, unfortunately I'm not, I was really interested in it but my school couldn't afford it which was annoying.

Ooh same except Glasgow instead of Heriot-Watt :smile: They couldn't afford it? That's strange, I don't think my school needs to pay for anything extra for the bacc that I'm aware of... We just had to meet the criteria as being a school with enough resources...
"Afford [to expend resource and time]" perhaps? :smile:

And aloha all! Advanced Higher Spanish here: I hope you'll all accept me in this group? :biggrin: It should've totally been Advanced Higher Languages thread*. :wink:

And I'm also doing Higher French =)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
"Afford [to expend resource and time]" perhaps? :smile:

And aloha all! Advanced Higher Spanish here: I hope you'll all accept me in this group? :biggrin: It should've totally been Advanced Higher Languages thread*. :wink:

And I'm also doing Higher French =)

Hola! I really want to learn Spanish too. Am going to attempt to teach myself some before uni :P
Reply 38
Ooh same except Glasgow instead of Heriot-Watt :smile: They couldn't afford it? That's strange, I don't think my school needs to pay for anything extra for the bacc that I'm aware of... We just had to meet the criteria as being a school with enough resources...

I found out I passed the reading NAB comfortably which was good.

Indeed, apparently so, but then, we have literally got no resources, which is a bother.
I found out I passed the reading NAB comfortably which was good.

Indeed, apparently so, but then, we have literally got no resources, which is a bother.

Well done :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest