The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Currently at £3.68. Christmas shopping has been cruel to my bank account. At least it's all done now. Pay day next friday though, hoping to save the majority of my wages from then on, so I've got at least 1k saved up by uni.
I have about -£2500
Original post by BCUciaran
I have about -£2500

How old are you?
I'm 17 and I've got around £1700 altogether, with just over £1000 of that being in my savings. I'm living off my student bursary at the moment because I can't get a job anywhere, but it isn't too bad for me because I barely spend a thing. Also, I'm putting 50p a day away into my money tin at home - I'm not too sure what for at the moment, but it will help me out one day. :tongue:
Original post by Christina1993
I'm 17 and I've got around £1700 altogether, with just over £1000 of that being in my savings. I'm living off my student bursary at the moment because I can't get a job anywhere, but it isn't too bad for me because I barely spend a thing. Also, I'm putting 50p a day away into my money tin at home - I'm not too sure what for at the moment, but it will help me out one day. :tongue:

That's an excellent amount of money to have saved up at that age, I think it definitely shows a mature mindset, well done to you :smile:
Currently 18 years old and have 30k for uni fees (from parents)

Substantial amount back home which I do not want to enclose and I have a property in my name that my parents gifted me that is currently rented out at £600 a month. Not going to lie I have been broug up with a silver spoon
Reply 126
Original post by Wakasmasood

Substantial amount back home which I do not want to enclose and I have a property in my name that my parents gifted me that is currently rented out at £600 a month. Not going to lie I have been broug up with a silver spoon

Why use the £30K to pay off the fees?

Getting a student loan is the most sensible option (in comparison to a commercial loan and paying the fees yourself).
Original post by Wakasmasood

Aye and you shouldn't be making any apologies for it, you have no control over what circumstances you're born into.

Enjoy your wealth mate, big style. :cool:
I have £1028.74 in a normal bank account. I get 2.5% interest quarterley so get about £6 every 3 months :wink: I just started randomely saving up money a few years ago from £3 a week pocket money, then added a paperround i had for a few months, one or two birthdays. But the best part is from that little but of pocket money :smile: I'm 16 btw. I hate spending money though :/ Blessing and a curse.
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
How old are you?
21, its actually less than half of what it was. Let's just say I learnt a lesson for life in money since turning 18!
£5.2K.
Original post by united2000
Thats good. What are you planning on spending it on?

10K on travel (assuming I get to 30k by August...currently I have 4k for travel)
20K on paying for Uni. I don't like debt, so the only thing in my entire life that I will allow myself to get in debt for is a house. I won't even go into debt for a car. And people ridicule me for it, but debt is a large part of why we're in the financial mess we're in right not, so I say stfu.

Original post by rjm101
Care to tell us how you have so much money?? or is my sarcasm detector malfunctioning...

Nope, no sarcasm here. It's called working a ton, getting paid well above minimum wage, saving up all the money I've ever gotten for Christmas/Birthday/Easter, etc. since I have gotten it (that was more my parents' idea than mine, but I've always been really good with money so I agreed with them once I understood what they were talking about).

Come to think of it, I actually have 2k-3k in bonds that I didn't include in my total, but that's because I haven't cashed them in yet. When I was a baby, for my Birthday/Christmas my relatives would buy me bonds instead of gifts as per my parents' request.

I'm actually rather poor by my friends' standards. One time I was looking on my friend's desk for something and I saw she had a bank statement with about 2 million in it and she hasn't worked a day in her life. At least I've earned my money, or I've saved up what has been given to me. She spends like crazy and I've literally never seen her in one outfit more than once.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by green chica

I'm actually rather poor by my friends' standards. One time I was looking on my friend's desk for something and I saw she had a bank statement with about 2000k (that's right...2 million) in it and she hasn't worked a day in her life. At least I've earned my money, or I've saved up what has been given to me. She spends like crazy and I've literally never seen her in one outfit more than once.

:lolwut:
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
About £800

17 years old....

by 18 I want 7/8K

And how do you plan on earning that much money in so little time?
£5k......£4k in premium bonds and a grand in cash. Still havent wn a penny of Premium bonds yet.......
whatever 1200 + student loan instalment is.

£2400 ish?
Reply 136
£-527 (incurring charges on the £27).

I am screwed until my loan payment on Jan 10th.
Around £300?
Original post by Minimalist__
:lolwut:

I know. Her mother used to be a VP for a huge bank in America, and her dad is big in the banking world too. I'm so jelly. I wish I was as set for life as she is.
Reply 139
HSBC UK = £1650.26, a far cry from September when it was 6 figures.
Bank of America = US$830.54, a far cry from October when it was almost nearing 6 figures.
HSBC Hong Kong = HKD890, a far far cry from October when it was 8 figures.
UBS Switzerland = CHF2000 in my current account, CHF8000 in savings and investment accounts this account used to be 6 figures in November. Can't wait for payday.

Debts or liabilities in UK = Thankfully none exist now, other than some with that evil HMRC. But then it also means that now I have zero assets in UK after selling everything off. Only thing remains is a HSBC credit card which I will keep for now since it has a high credit limit and very low interest rate. Generally only use it when I want to order stuff from Amazon.co.uk

Debts or liabilities in Switzerland = Got 30 more months of HP to pay on 1 car and another 35 months of contract payments on another. Have 297 months of mortgage payments to pay on my home. Negative equity :frown:

Very poor lately :frown: and for the first time since started to work I been looking forward to pay day!! Really miss my life in Britain sometimes.

Latest