The Student Room Group

I think I may have cystic fibrosis

Scroll to see replies

if it were CF and had been undiagnosed the OP would have been dead by now.
Original post by koistyjayne
Its probably just a chest infection- don't jump to conclusions!

But just to everyone saying you have Cystic Fibrosis from birth, while that is true most of the time its not in all cases. My mum had CF and passed away 11 years ago, but she wasn't diagnosed with it until she was 21. And she was 39 when she died. But then again, she had suffered severe chest infections and pneumonia with chronic bowel problems since birth, it just went undiagnosed I think.

Ach, I'm sorry for your loss (and I sincerely hope your father isn't a carrier). Since she had you, I can believe she didn't have symptoms until later in life.

The idea still is that one would have more symptoms than a chesty cough in adolescence, though.
Original post by Schemilix
In other words don't be such a baby and take some cough medicine. :tongue:

If he's coughing up phlegm, I'd rather he coughed it out than have it surpressed by any cough medicine.

And OP, you don't have Cystic Fibrosis. You also don't have any brain, or any balls for that matter.

CF is congenital, and if your first poo as a child was difficult to pass and thick/green/smelly then they'd have performed some pretty basic tests on you to see if you had CF. If you've managed to survive this long with CF without any problems until as of late, please do contact NICE and tell them their guidelines are a ****e.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ach, I'm sorry for your loss (and I sincerely hope your father isn't a carrier). Since she had you, I can believe she didn't have symptoms until later in life.

The idea still is that one would have more symptoms than a chesty cough in adolescence, though.

Thank you. I'm not sure if he is a carrier, but as a baby I was tested to see if I was a sufferer and luckily I'm not. I've always been a sickly child though so doctors have always wondered if there's some connection. I'm getting tested to see if I'm a carrier soon too.
Original post by koistyjayne
Thank you. I'm not sure if he is a carrier, but as a baby I was tested to see if I was a sufferer and luckily I'm not. I've always been a sickly child though so doctors have always wondered if there's some connection. I'm getting tested to see if I'm a carrier soon too.

Aye, it's a little known fact that carriers do have some symptoms. It's probably quite likely that you do. Basically without boring you, you'll have one faulty gene but the other one makes up for it to stop the symptoms developing to a debilitating extent, but there's still a faulty gene. It's incompletely dominant though few people know that.

It's great to know you're okay though. :smile:
Aye, it's a little known fact that carriers do have some symptoms. It's probably quite likely that you do. Basically without boring you, you'll have one faulty gene but the other one makes up for it to stop the symptoms developing to a debilitating extent, but there's still a faulty gene. It's incompletely dominant though few people know that.

It's great to know you're okay though. :smile:

Yeah I had one doctor say its likely that I'm a carrier that's why I'm always ill so easily, but went to another doctor and they said it was a load of rubbish! So who knows!
Reply 26
cystic fibrosis doesn't just come on, you're born with it and if you did have it and were not diagnosed and treated you probably wouldn't be alive.
Reply 27
Original post by helpme7

Original post by helpme7
Im not too sure but im sure you would of known ages ago if u had it. My cusion died from cystic fibrosis a couple of years ago and he had it since he was really young. if it continues for a month or so then maybe go get yourself checked out

why neg ?
Reply 28
That's self diagnosing. What do you think it is?

Lol yeah I mean you shouldn't just say that you have a disease without checking to see if it is actually at all possible or likely that you have it
Original post by JustSayin'
Lol yeah I mean you shouldn't just say that you have a disease without checking to see if it is actually at all possible or likely that you have it

And like I said, looking at symptoms when you already think you have them works like a checklist of sorts - you check the ones you have and make yourself think you have them. A lot of symptoms are characteristic of many diseases. It's still self-diagnosing because you're not a doctor. Simple as.
If you're able to cough it up yourself and go about your day as normal, and have done for 20 or so years, it isn't CF. If it gets worse or if you have chronic chest infections go to the doctor.
Reply 31
Listen people, I never claimed to have it 100% I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I asked for help to tell me if I could have a POSIBILITY of having it. SOME PEOPLE ARE SUCH IDIOTS AND JUST JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS, LIKE THE POSTERS ON THIS THREAD! :angry:
Actually you can be diagnosed as an adult its rare but not unheard of if you have a the delayed form. However it is very unlikely the original poster has it but it isnt impossible like people are stating on here see the link below:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37834646/ns/health-health_care/t/aging-cystic-fibrosis-more-adults-diagnosed/#.Tu0WlDVNuVo
Reply 33
its not cf, you get that when your born.
Reply 34
Lick yourself, are you salty?? :holmes:
Original post by tix22

Original post by tix22
Listen people, I never claimed to have it 100% I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I asked for help to tell me if I could have a POSIBILITY of having it. SOME PEOPLE ARE SUCH IDIOTS AND JUST JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS, LIKE THE POSTERS ON THIS THREAD! :angry:

You're calling people idiots for jumping to conclusions, yet you thought you might have cystic fibrosis based on extra phlegm? The irony, it burns.
Not cystic fibrosis, but a severe case of hypochondria.
Original post by tix22
Hello, recently in the past few weeks, I have been producing thicker mucus than usual, and I have been coughing way, way too much. I have also been coughing up this mucus, but it is most prominent during midday, when I'm in college. I havent been told I have it, nor have I had similar symptoms before. I know it is a genetic disease, so does this mean, if I where to have it the doctors would have known at birth, or do sypmtoms come up later in life?

Please could someone help me? I'm getting worried and I don't want to go to my GP before I get some knowledge about this topic as I don't want to waste his time... :frown:

I know you don't want to go to the Doctors, but you need to because if you don't go you will just keep scaring yourself and it might just be a cold or something.

You could also look on the NHS website for more info on symptoms etc. Also look back on family history.
Reply 38
It doesn't sound like cystic fibrosis but it does sound like a chest infection I had when I was younger. For the first few weeks I'd cough up mucus but then it eventually led to throwing up.

I'd see your GP about it immediately. They'll be able to diagnose you better than us.
Reply 39
If it was Cf then there would almsot definately be people with it in your family - unless it just happened that there's one recessive gene for it on both sides of your family and you inherited one from each parent.

Quick Reply

Latest