The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Royal holloway generally seem speedy
Reply 2981
Mine was processed by UCAS on 11th Dec and I got an offer on the 21st.
Reply 2982
Original post by Jodianne
I did only send it off 5 days ago, so I know I'm gonna be waiting a month or two for replies. But still, it doesn't stop me checking 829 times a day :tongue:

I've just checked UCAS again... then I snapped back to reality. Why would it update at 1am? :lolwut:

Youre not as daft as you think you are checking at 1am... i checked at 3 minutes past midnight and my offers had come through from LJMU... Asked my tutor about it, as the as the last time time i had checked track was about 8pm the day before (wishful thinking, hoping as its the run up to Xmas the Unis might be working late on processing applications) and she said track updates at 12pm and 5pm and she was pretty sure it updates automatically at 12am and 5am depending on the time the daty before that the offers were sent :smile: obviously im not 100% sure on this, but i hope it makes you feel better about the obsessive checking...:colone: i feel a bit strange now i have all five offers, and im not checking on the hour every hour!
Reply 2983
Original post by jennyfb
Youre not as daft as you think you are checking at 1am... i checked at 3 minutes past midnight and my offers had come through from LJMU... Asked my tutor about it, as the as the last time time i had checked track was about 8pm the day before (wishful thinking, hoping as its the run up to Xmas the Unis might be working late on processing applications) and she said track updates at 12pm and 5pm and she was pretty sure it updates automatically at 12am and 5am depending on the time the daty before that the offers were sent :smile: obviously im not 100% sure on this, but i hope it makes you feel better about the obsessive checking...:colone: i feel a bit strange now i have all five offers, and im not checking on the hour every hour!

This is wrong, Track has updated for me at 12:45 pm, 3:00 pm, 6:15 pm and 4:15 pm. I believe it updated at those times a few years ago though.
Reply 2984
Track updates every 15 minutes.
Does it update at weekends?
Is it better to check track or your email?
Original post by Jodianne
Does it update at weekends?

Yurp it does.

And also, last year someone said they got an offer on christmas eve.
Reply 2988
It is possible - Oxford and Cambridge do, for example.
Title pretty much explains it ... I sent off my application on Friday to do Psychology at UEA, Glasgow, York, Manchester and Nottingham and so far have acknowledgements from Glasgow, York and Manchester.

Obviously I am not expecting all 5 replies within the next few weeks, but being mega impatient, I was just wondering what university made a decision in the quickest amount of time for you? I've heard that some people receive a decision the day after they receive the acknowledgement .. but I guess it all depends on the individual and the university.

Thanks for any replies! :smile:
Original post by laauurraa
Title pretty much explains it ... I sent off my application on Friday to do Psychology at UEA, Glasgow, York, Manchester and Nottingham and so far have acknowledgements from Glasgow, York and Manchester.

Obviously I am not expecting all 5 replies within the next few weeks, but being mega impatient, I was just wondering what university made a decision in the quickest amount of time for you? I've heard that some people receive a decision the day after they receive the acknowledgement .. but I guess it all depends on the individual and the university.

Thanks for any replies! :smile:

I sent my application off a few weeks ago and I applied to do forensic psychology/psychology with criminal behaviour (almost the same thing as you might know but it seems to just get called different things at different unis) at portsmouth, southampton solent, bedfordshire and UEL (east london). I've had acknowledgements from all but UEL. I've had one offer that came through from southampton solent on wednesday. I was so excited to get an offer but I'm also really impatient and I wish my college lecturers had been quicker at sorting out my reference etc so I could have got my offers before christmas cos I very much doubt that will happen now. The earlier you apply the less time it takes for you to get your offers I think cos of the january rush. My lecturer told me I probably wouldn't get my offers until march.
I know this doesn't help but I'm just saying really that I totally understand the impatience thing! lol I check my e-mails constantly!

Which one is your favourite out of the 5 you're applying to?

Also have you been to open days at all of them?
Original post by littleone271
I sent my application off a few weeks ago and I applied to do forensic psychology/psychology with criminal behaviour (almost the same thing as you might know but it seems to just get called different things at different unis) at portsmouth, southampton solent, bedfordshire and UEL (east london). I've had acknowledgements from all but UEL. I've had one offer that came through from southampton solent on wednesday. I was so excited to get an offer but I'm also really impatient and I wish my college lecturers had been quicker at sorting out my reference etc so I could have got my offers before christmas cos I very much doubt that will happen now. The earlier you apply the less time it takes for you to get your offers I think cos of the january rush. My lecturer told me I probably wouldn't get my offers until march.
I know this doesn't help but I'm just saying really that I totally understand the impatience thing! lol I check my e-mails constantly!

Which one is your favourite out of the 5 you're applying to?

Also have you been to open days at all of them?

ooh your course sounds interesting, i considered that but then decided to sort of keep my options open and just choose psychology by itself.

i really really really want to go to UEA ... but i'm hoping for at least 1 acceptance as my grades are a bit below what they want. i haven't been on any open days as im on a gap year in new zealand so it will be a bit of a risk choosing a university - but a risk im prepared to take :biggrin:

what about you? which is your favourite? and yeah, i only sent mineoff on friday because my reference was slow...i got the form done weeks ago, grr!! i'm obsessively checking my emails often enough as it is and it's only been 3 days (counting the weekend) - ahh!!

good luck with your application!!:biggrin:
Reply 2992
A day before I sent in my application.
about two years, cause the london metropolitan messenger pigeon got lost
Reply 2994
Sent my appliaction off on the 24th of October, got an offer from Liverpool John Moores on the 25th of October....

As for the acknowledgements, they varied from first 3 days (LJMU, Cardiff and Queen Mary univeristy of London) to 3 weeks (Oxford Brookes) to Missing In Action (Reading). I dont think all unis send letters out to acknowledge recieving your application
Original post by laauurraa
ooh your course sounds interesting, i considered that but then decided to sort of keep my options open and just choose psychology by itself.

i really really really want to go to UEA ... but i'm hoping for at least 1 acceptance as my grades are a bit below what they want. i haven't been on any open days as im on a gap year in new zealand so it will be a bit of a risk choosing a university - but a risk im prepared to take :biggrin:

what about you? which is your favourite? and yeah, i only sent mineoff on friday because my reference was slow...i got the form done weeks ago, grr!! i'm obsessively checking my emails often enough as it is and it's only been 3 days (counting the weekend) - ahh!!

good luck with your application!!:biggrin:

Yeah I think most if not all of the 1st year stuff is just general psychology so I'm sure if I changed my mind then I could switch. I'm currently doing a BTEC extended diploma in forensic science (I'll be a year late going to uni too because I messed up a year of AS's before going to college) and yeah cos of the black mark on my record with the AS's I thought it would be good to keep it slightly related so I don't look like a crazy person constantly changing my mind lol plus it is really interesting.

Hmmm.. see to be honest I wouldn't take that risk. Definitely see a few of them after you get offers and before you decide on your 1st choice and insurance.

Accomodation for instance looks totally different online to how it does when you actually get there and there are often factors that you wouldn't think of.

At UEL the main thing I didn't like was the distance between the campus and the halls and it didn't feel like a very nice area. I'm applying for it anyway because I like the sound of the course and the entry requirements are low and I'm sure I'd cope with it if I had to lol.

The other open day I went to was at Southampton solent which shows up terribly on the league tables but it just seemed like such a nice place to go. The lecturers all seemed really dedicated, the students were lovely and I got on with every one I met like straight away. There was a real community feel. The accomodation and the facilities on the other hand were appalling. You wouldn't really expect a university in this day and age to have bad facilities but they really were awful! Really ancient looking computers with dated software etc. But how much would I use those when doing a criminal psychology degree? I have my own laptop for doing work on.

I still havn't decided which is my favourite one I don't think... portsmouth is the hardest to get into because they want DDM (equivalent to 2 A's and a C) but that's just according to their website, I havn't got an offer yet.

I think portsmouth probably would tick all the boxes but I've had a lot of problems with my college course and as a result of that I'm doing half of last year's coursework at the moment ontop of this year's. Bearing in mind that there are no exams so it's 3 A levels worth of 100% coursework. Most annoying bit is that it was completely the fault of the college because they failed to provide lecturers. So I'd go in every day and then 9 times out of 10 (literally) be sent home again because there's nobody there to teach me.
I've done entire units on my own at home when it actually says on the exam board stuff that I was meant to have '60 hours of guided learning' for it lol and this year we have teachers but the college are refusing to write anything about last year in my reference because it will make them look bad! Despite it being a very valid excuse for under achieving!
Anyway rant over lol basically I'm under quite a lot of pressure as it is so I don't want to add more by letting myself completely fall in love with portsmouth I guess.

Good luck with your application too!
Reply 2996
Jabberwox
You won't need to be doing anything about finance or accommodation for months yet, so you have plenty of time to check out which of your offers you'd like to accept.
my brother got his first offer (Manchester) I think an hour and 40 minutes after applying... he got the acknowledgement a few days later haha. This was for a business course though, psychology will probably take longer
Original post by Joey15
Has anyone heard yet from Bristol at all? Or York? My only two left waiting. Bristol is killing me inside.

I have heard from york, got a rejection though :frown:
I got my acknowledgments the day after I sent my application.
I got a call to interview from St. Andrews 5 weeks after I sent it. Now, over 8 weeks since I sent it, I've heard nothing back from anywhere else, and won't hear back from St. Andrews until March.

You think waiting three days is torture? D;

Quick Reply