The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

what you wish you were told about the uni of Newcastle before coming.

completely copied this from the manchester one as I thought it was a rather good idea! so word for word, apart from being about Newcastle!

What are the good and bad points? and what would you advice all new freshers? Did anything surprise you about the uni when you arrived? Did it live up to its reputation? ie what you wish you were told about the uni of Newcastle before coming.

Any prospective students who also has a question to ask is welcome to of course
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would love to know this also! I hope you get good responses so I can decide soon...
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Not very well known is that even though Newcastle city is in the north, Newcastle uni is actually southern. FML
Pretty broad question lol. Any specifics you wanna ask about? Accommodation, nightlife, teaching, research, societies, sports, facilities, ethnic/social mix, local area, culture etc?

The only thing that really surprised me about Newcastle is just how ****ing far north it is, i didn't really appreciate how far away it is from the rest of England until i travelled there for an open day. It's pretty much as far south to Leeds as it is north to Edinburgh.
Reply 4
Original post by hoonosewot
Pretty broad question lol. Any specifics you wanna ask about? Accommodation, nightlife, teaching, research, societies, sports, facilities, ethnic/social mix, local area, culture etc?

The only thing that really surprised me about Newcastle is just how ****ing far north it is, i didn't really appreciate how far away it is from the rest of England until i travelled there for an open day. It's pretty much as far south to Leeds as it is north to Edinburgh.

well everything and anything! just what shocked you about newcastle when you arrived! like was any of the cliche things about newcastle not true,
Original post by ah.meh
well everything and anything! just what shocked you about newcastle when you arrived! like was any of the cliche things about newcastle not true,

To be honest most of the cliches i knew of (girls in tiny dresses in sub-zero temperatures, lots of nightlife, friendly natives, football obsession etc) have turned out to be true haha.
Reply 6
That it was even more awesome than I thought it would be. :smile:
Reply 7
Lots of posh people living in Castle Leazes but that was ok cause I learnt to mix with people I had never mixed with before and many turned out to be pretty nice! So learnt not to judge a book by it's cover. Although I did hate the type who asked you what school you went to because everyone from posh schools knew the other posh schools. And you could see the eyes glaze over when they realised you weren't one of them. But this was only a few people.

Another thing was that I did hate freshers week but mostly because people hype it up to be the best week ever! And I just found it overcrowded and I met a few knobheads (see above). I met my real friends in week 2 (all from halls) and 4 years on I'm still friends with them. A lot of people really liked freshers week though so I could be in the minority there.

Good things that surprised me were how everyone was really in to clubs and societies and there literally is a club/society for absolutely EVERYTHING you could possibly be interested in. The freshers fayre is your chance to go and see all the diff clubs and societies you can join so definitely go to that.

Another couple of things that are good is how small the city is, everything is a walk away and you can get to places easily. And also how cheap it is! Nights out are soooo cheap, 3 trebles for £5 is standard in many student bars, restaurants are cheap and private accommodation is cheap.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by katt_47
Lots of posh people living in Castle Leazes but that was ok cause I learnt to mix with people I had never mixed with before and many turned out to be pretty nice! So learnt not to judge a book by it's cover. Although I did hate the type who asked you what school you went to because everyone from posh schools knew the other posh schools. And you could see the eyes glaze over when they realised you weren't one of them. But this was only a few people.

Another thing was that I did hate freshers week but mostly because people hype it up to be the best week ever! And I just found it overcrowded and I met a few knobheads (see above). I met my real friends in week 2 (all from halls) and 4 years on I'm still friends with them. A lot of people really liked freshers week though so I could be in the minority there.

Good things that surprised me were how everyone was really in to clubs and societies and there literally is a club/society for absolutely EVERYTHING you could possibly be interested in. The freshers fayre is your chance to go and see all the diff clubs and societies you can join so definitely go to that.

Another couple of things that are good is how small the city is, everything is a walk away and you can get to places easily. And also how cheap it is! Nights out are soooo cheap, 3 trebles for £5 is standard in many student bars, restaurants are cheap and private accommodation is cheap.

Oh wait just to clarify, when I said "see above" I meant see the above paragraph when I mentioned the annoying people that asked what school you went to not the above poster!!
Original post by katt_47
Although I did hate the type who asked you what school you went to because everyone from posh schools knew the other posh schools. And you could see the eyes glaze over when they realised you weren't one of them.

Lol, those people are amazing. I had one guy ask me what school i went to and when my answer ended with "community college" he audibly gasped. I don't think he'd ever associated with a pleb before haha.

Those people are pretty limited though, most of the rah types are alright really once you get past the hilariously posh stuff.
Reply 10
Original post by arth
I'm a prospective student... Are the students friendly? How many are hilariously posh people? Are there many Irish students? And does the uni have music societies like orchestras, choirs, bands?

Sorry for so many questions. This is a good thread.

Yes students are generally friendly and Geordies especially are friendly. Don't let the fact that there are some posh people put you off. The majority aren't like that. I've found many (mostly northern) irish students yes. And the uni has loads of music societies. My friend's in the wind band and they are really active.
Original post by arth
I'm a prospective student... Are the students friendly? How many are hilariously posh people? Are there many Irish students? .

1. Yes
2. Not that many, but you'll probably encounter them, especially if you get put in Leazes.
3. Yeh, loads. Newcastle seems to be packed with people from Yorkshire and Ireland.
Alot of 'Cotswold' types.. if you know what I mean, you Don't expect so many southeners for a city so far north.
Reply 13
Original post by Herostratus
Alot of 'Cotswold' types.. if you know what I mean, you Don't expect so many southeners for a city so far north.

What do you mean? what is a cotswold type?
Reply 14
Where to start...
1 You will end up in Sinners on a night out and may even think it's really good. You will then walk past during the day and recoil at the smell of the place.
2 There are rahs, but not nearly as many as people say. I've only met one real rah, and I'm in Windsor Terrace, which is meant to be generally quite posh and full of "gap yah" students.
3 The stereotypes about the hardcore Geordie girls who walk around in their underwear when it's snowing outside - ALL TRUE
4 You will organize your weekly seminars around nights out (thursday morning seminars - VERY bad idea)
5 If you have an hour long gap between lectures, you will either end up in the SU computer space, the cafè or the YourSpace in the library (this doesn't necessarily mean you will get work done)
6 Predrinks in Ricky Road are always worth the trek. ALWAYS.
Reply 15
I'm first year in Newcastle University, studying English Language and Literature, from Northern Ireland, living in St Mary's College.

So message away if any prospective students have questions.

Relating to this thread! There are lots of Northern Irish students :smile: I managed to last 4 days of my freshers week without meeting any other Northern Irish, and then on my fourth night I met 10 in one night and from then on the ball was rolling. Everyone was amazed that I had somehow managed to avoid so many Northern Irish until then! (I actually squeaked with excitement and jumped on the first guy I found, a third year from Portadown....sorry Matty Guy. We're friends now though haha!) I would say that first there are northern English students, then Chinese students, then Northern Irish students, then southern English students, in terms of size. Looking at all the people I know anyway!

The accommodation was much better than I expected, I was totally prepared for some grim rooms but I love my accommodation and my friends are all happy with theirs in different halls too.

The nightlife in Newcastle is as expected.

Newcastle has a reputation for being cheap - well deserved in my opinion! Nights out are good n' cheap, most of the halls are within walking distance so skip out on taxi costs! My halls are out a bit, so buses until 11pm, then taxis back are £7.40 and that's always split between a couple of us so no bother. We COULD walk it....but it's too cold for us girls in our heels :P

There's a point, I was surprised at how casual you can dress up for a night out! Skinny jeans and flats are fine in some places.

There are loads of societies, look up the union website for a full list. I think there are 150? Music in particular has emmm....an orchestra, a couple of specific bands, a choir anyone can join, some other choir you need to be able to sing for lol, 2 theatre societies and some other stuff. My friend does music and she joined loads, she's busy all the time.

The big night out in Newcastle is Wednesday for students, it's sports team night basically. The sports matches are all on Wednesday I think, so they all go out to celebrate wins or whatever. Whatever the reason, Wednesdays are big. (I chose a 9am Thursday seminar :frown: )

Can't think of anything else important off the top of my head, but there, I've posted now. Message me for any questions chaps!
Neg for the truth?! well done TSR!
Reply 17
one thing i was told about newcastle was that the locals dont like students out at weekends. Well ive been at uni since september and go out most weekends, the locals dont seem to mind at all as long as you dont act like a knobhead! In fact theyre a really good laugh, most geordies seem proper down to earth people, just understanding them is my biggest problem seeming as im from down south! They're are rahs about but they keep themself to themselves, and when i have met some they are nice enough, dont really see what all the fuss is about them
Reply 18
Any opinions on Castle leazes, food basically edible, floor layout ok?
Reply 19
You will never go to 9am lectures if you are doing anything less than medicine
You will never use metros/buses/taxis
Using more than one pot to cook your tea becomes too much effort if you are cooking for yourself
Tiger Tiger is never an option after freshers week
You will only have a bin in your room for less than one week, it will become a flat bin once it has inevitably been thrown up into
The fell computer cluster will be busier at 3am than any local kebab shop, it will also save your degree
You will sign up for every society known to man, you will probably go to none of them or one to get the free (insert club here) entrance card
Frosty Jacks and blackberry cordial becomes standard
Vodka is an expensive purchase
Your entire block will probably be in a state of half death after any good night at digital
Your TV Licence will never be paid, they will give up after the first month
Netflix and Project Free TV becomes your deity
A games console will probably be the most useless thing you can ever bring to uni
You will own the £10 samsung that tesco have at one point.
During the first term you will probably not go 48 hours without alcohol
Your interest free overdraft is just an extension of your loan
Tesco becomes too much distance to walk, Londis will be your savior
Londis becomes a social activity
Rahs travel in twos
12pm is still a lecture that requires time and effort to get up to
People will be walking around in dressing gowns all hours of the day and probably early night too
Pasta and Pesto are a comedy duo that happens to be sufficient for any daily meal
House music will be weaponised and used as a form of battle between rooms/flats
Whatever time it is, someone will be up
Whatever time it is and even if you can hear a mouse tip toeing, the family flat will call university security about the noise

Could go on forever mind, but ricky road wise, university becomes the most annoying thing about university :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest