The Student Room Group

Is History a worthless degree to have?

On TSR, it seems if you don't have a science or maths degree, you are not gonna et a job?

Is it like that in the real world? Are History degrees as respected as sciences? say if I want to work in the corporate world and hopefully get into a big company, will I have a good chance? I have 4 offers from RG unis to study History btw

thank you, just confused tbh!

Scroll to see replies

No! Ofcourse not - there are a countless number of jobs you could get into with a History degree - with a huge pay too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Worthless = unable to get job?
No it is not
Original post by Last Chance
No! Ofcourse not - there are a countless number of jobs you could get into with a History degree - with a huge pay too.

like?
-just curious, I've applied for History & Politics.
Reply 5
What kind of jobs could you get with a history degree?
In my view, they're not worthless. There's still many jobs you can get into by having a history degree, it all depends on what you want to do really.
Reply 7
Original post by chocoholic.

like?

Jobs ussually don't ask for a spercific degree so history if really good because it is respected
like?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jan/16/history-degree-careers

What careers can I pursue?

At first glance, history graduates might appear suited mainly to roles such as museum curators or history teachers, but the skills you have gained will prepare you well for numerous careers, according to Margaret Holbrough, careers adviser at Graduate Prospects.

"A significant number enter the legal profession, where their analytical and critical reasoning skills are highly valued, as well as library, information and archivist careers, where their research expertise and ability to select, manage and organise information comes to the fore," she says.

Politics, publishing, journalism, media and writing in all its forms are similarly suitable, alongside business and commerce, public sector administration and the charity and voluntary sectors
I wouldn't say so. One of my best friends has applied for History, and apparently many CEOs and high ranking people in large firms have History degrees. I guess it shows good analytical skills and the ability to write eloquently and learn, that's probably why History and English degrees are looked highly upon by interviewers for 'Graduate jobs'.
Reply 10
Original post by JongKey
What kind of jobs could you get with a history degree?

Heritage. I worked for Stirling Castle and a lot of the Stewards have History degrees, its good money and you get to spend the whole day enjoying teaching history to tourists. Government bodies like Historic Scotland, English Heritage, and Welsh CADW do training schemes for graduates
Its in the History section, it will obviously be biased
Original post by srascal8
On TSR, it seems if you don't have a science or maths degree, you are not gonna et a job?

Is it like that in the real world? Are History degrees as respected as sciences? say if I want to work in the corporate world and hopefully get into a big company, will I have a good chance? I have 4 offers from RG unis to study History btw

I used to work for a big (very, very big) company which didn't recruit history graduates.

If you want to work in the corporate world then do a degree more relevant to industry.

Note that this does not at all mean that history is a "worthless" degree.
Reply 13

History degrees are very respected and there are a variety of career paths you can follow with one: Banking, journalism, law, politics, etc
Genuine question: what would you say would be more valued, a history degree from a university such as Bristol/Durham/Exeter/York, OR a maths degree from a mediocre university??
Reply 15
Original post by Smack
I used to work for a big (very, very big) company which didn't recruit history graduates.

If you want to work in the corporate world then do a degree more relevant to industry.

Note that this does not at all mean that history is a "worthless" degree.

And what industry was this then?
Reply 16
No

technically a history degree isnt giving you any real job specific skills.

However it shows that you are clever, hard working, literate etc and that should make you desirable.

So unless you plan on being a historian or history teacher then it isnt particularly specific, but definetley not worthless.

Im studying Journalism, so I should be more 'skilled' than you, but your degree is more academic suggesting that your smarter or more hard working than me :frown: lol. So the answer is it depends on what you do with it. If you want to be an astronomer, yeah its useless. If you want to be a journalist or uhhhh... something then no its not useless.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Seanm1994
History degrees are very respected and there are a variety of career paths you can follow with one: Banking, journalism, law, politics, etc

This is what I do not get, there's conflicting reports from everyone! One guy above said banking = better to have a maths degree. My question is, how much maths is there in banking? Apparently it isn't much, and it's mainly good standard GCSE stuff most of the time, like percentages etc.

Anyone know how true that view is?

As for that 'big company', the guy above was on about...what company exactly was this...?
Reply 19
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Worthless = unable to get job?

Well no, I'm basically comparing arts to sciences, can you go as far with an arts, further? Or does it vary...?

And as for starting salaries, sciences are usually higher right? Are the peaks always higher as well?

Latest