The Student Room Group

Big man charged with assault for removing fare dodger from train

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wizzar
It's a good thing that the brute has been charged! Justice has been dealt, we cannot live in a country were the strong oppress the weak, we have laws, and regardless of weather or not the boy was a fare dodger the brute had no right to unceremoniously drag him off the train.

You do realise this "boy" was a 19 year old student, he got what was coming :biggrin:
Original post by Cura
Big Man deserved what he got and deserves years in prison. If I was judge and there was death penalty in this country I will have him hanged. You cannot go round pushing innocent little kids around just not acceptable in this society!!!!

This "little kid" was 19!! ohh and what a nice society yours is...oh wait
Original post by Cura
Big Man deserved what he got and deserves years in prison. If I was judge and there was death penalty in this country I will have him hanged. You cannot go round pushing innocent little kids around just not acceptable in this society!!!!

Except the kid was not innocent.
He was guilty of:
1 - Not having a valid ticket.
2 - Being abusive towards railway staff.
Two offences which are both valid reasons to be kicked off the train.
Oh, and he was not a "little kid" He is a 19 year old adult who should know better.
Original post by mrshinyshoes
You do realise this "boy" was a 19 year old student, he got what was coming :biggrin:

Exactly. He only has himself to blame.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Except the kid was not innocent.
He was guilty of:
1 - Not having a valid ticket.
2 - Being abusive towards railway staff.
Two offences which are both valid reasons to be kicked off the train.
Oh, and he was not a "little kid" He is a 19 year old adult who should know better.

Not guilty until he is found so - basic tenet there. I get what you are saying, and in addition he is probably liable for a charge of trespass on railway property.
Reply 85
Original post by internet tough guy
Oh come on, are the police really going to say, ''sorry mate, on your own''.

If thats the case, what do we pay our taxes for then? Their job is to deal with altercations like this.

I'm talking more about the time it would take the inspector to go off and call the police, explain what the problem was, tell them where to go (if it was the next stop the train would have to wait until the police got there) - this would delay the train, the passengers on the train, and any other trains behind it, having a knock on effect for the schedule for a while.

Although we don't know the details, fair enough if the next station was a major station with a permanent BTP presence, but if it was a small one in the middle of nowhere it would just be such a waste of time and annoy everyone else on the train, and give the inspector a more difficult job.

If you don't have a ticket, you get kicked off. I don't see a problem with this?
Reply 86
Original post by mrshinyshoes

I use 'The Boy' the same way Lord Voldermort referred to Harry as 'The Boy'
Original post by InnerTemple
Not guilty until he is found so - basic tenet there. I get what you are saying, and in addition he is probably liable for a charge of trespass on railway property.

Not sure about the issue of him being abusive, but certainly with the ticket issue he IS guilty. He failed to show a valid ticket. It is as simple as that.
Original post by wizzar
I use 'The Boy' the same way Lord Voldermort referred to Harry as 'The Boy'

Wow that's sad :tongue:
Reply 89
Original post by Cura

You're definitely not trying to be a WUM and get a reaction are you? :rolleyes:

So which is it? Years in the slammer or the noose?
Reply 90
The police should be charged for incompetence.
Original post by wizzar
It's a good thing that the brute has been charged! Justice has been dealt, we cannot live in a country were the strong oppress the weak, we have laws, and regardless of weather or not the boy was a fare dodger the brute had no right to unceremoniously drag him off the train.
Edit: -12 and +12...the lord giveth and the lord taketh away...

Taking the law into your hands for such a trivial thing is a MISTAKE.

The moronic oaf who was charged got what was coming, how dare he lay his hands on someone else's kid who is clearly not harming anyone? :angry: Who gives a **** if he is not paying, is he directly harming anyone else on that train? No.

Justice is served for the stupid punk.

P.S + Repped you buddy.
1. What the hell happened to two wrongs don't make a right? Yeah the guy was a prick for fare dodging but 'Big Man' didn't help matters. If he was being abusive then the conductor should have got the BTP involved, standard practice. The guy does not have the authority to take the law into his own hands. If this becomes acceptable, then where do you draw the line?

2. It's not like the fare dodger has got off without a penalty! I wouldn't be surprised if he got charged with breach of the peace or verbal assault if it's decided that he acted abusively.

Both of them are idiots. And why didn't the conductor get the police to wait at the next stop and arrest the dodger? Then they could have taken him off and dealt with it there and then. If this kind of vigilante justice became acceptable there would be chaos.

In a civilised society, it's up to the right enforcers to uphold the law, not random people.

EDIT: forgot to add, those saying that the transport police wouldn't be able to respond quickly enough - that's what they're for! They exist solely to police the railways so dealing with abusive passengers/fare dodgers is part of that. It should have been left for them to deal with.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dobbs
I'm talking more about the time it would take the inspector to go off and call the police, explain what the problem was, tell them where to go (if it was the next stop the train would have to wait until the police got there) - this would delay the train, the passengers on the train, and any other trains behind it, having a knock on effect for the schedule for a while.

Although we don't know the details, fair enough if the next station was a major station with a permanent BTP presence, but if it was a small one in the middle of nowhere it would just be such a waste of time and annoy everyone else on the train, and give the inspector a more difficult job.

If you don't have a ticket, you get kicked off. I don't see a problem with this?

Nope, don't see a problem with that unless it requires other passengers getting involved as is in this case. Ideally, the transport authority should have adequate staffing on hand to deal with matters like these - be it the ticket inspectors themselves or station workers. But thats isn't always possible, that inspector here was probably in his 60s.

And how long does it take to call up the police and explain the matter? maybe the same amount of time the ticket inspector spent arguing with that kid, even shorter if the call is made while the train is already moving to the next station. Sure delays are bound to occur, but this is the best solution if there isn't anyone on hand to deal with the situation.
Original post by Einheri
If I caught someone shoplifting I'd choke them out.

There's a difference between actively breaking the law and passively doing it. With shoplifters it's the case that if civilians don't stop them, they get away with it. This boy could have simply been arrested when he got off the train. There's also the factor of this man using his size and strength over a smaller and obviously more defenceless child which seems morally abhorrent to me. The law is there to stop people committing crimes (dodging fares) and prevent this sort of predatory action and give everyone of every size and strength equal footing.
Saw the video. Said at the time that the "Big Man" was clearly an aggressive prick who thought he'd show off. Yeah the kid was annoying and being an arse, but it was disproportionate... he wasn't actually harming anyone.

The big fat oaf isn't "a hero" - I've seen his type a thousand times. A meat-headed **** wanting to prove what a "Big Man" he is.

That said, I'm not saying he deserved "charged", I think the police being involved at all sort of shows that this has gone too far... I assume they got involved because of the video, and not because the kid involved actually reported him, which in my view means they should keep out of it. If the "victim" has no complaint, then there shouldn't be a charge.

What I do think the Big Man deserved... is to try to show off with the wrong person, and get his nose broken for his trouble.
Reply 96
Original post by Einheri
And then bitching about it. Yes, certainly.

Edit: Did you neg me? -6 for you tomorrow, cock-rag.

People actually care about rep? :rofl:
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
There's a difference between actively breaking the law and passively doing it. With shoplifters it's the case that if civilians don't stop them, they get away with it. This boy could have simply been arrested when he got off the train. There's also the factor of this man using his size and strength over a smaller and obviously more defenceless child which seems morally abhorrent to me. The law is there to stop people committing crimes (dodging fares) and prevent this sort of predatory action and give everyone of every size and strength equal footing.

1 - Most often than not, fare evaders also get away with it. Partly because people don't do anything about it.

2 - He is not a child. He is a 19 year old adult who should know better than to break the law and then become abusive when he is pulled up on breaking the law.
Original post by Einheri
And then bitching about it. Yes, certainly.

Edit: Did you neg me? -6 for you tomorrow, cock-rag.

Oh no!! How will I sleep tonight knowing I'll get -6 on TSR? :rolleyes: Since you seem to think it actually means something, I noticed I'm one of 20 who negged you, oh dear.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Good, shouldn't be throwing (literally) peoples children off trains in to the middle of no where at night time. If I had children and I saw a video of someone doing that to my child I would want to kill them.

It doesn't matter how much of a d*** the child was being, he should have just left it to the people in charge to punish the boy.

Quick Reply

Latest